User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree550Likes

Thread: Cashiers!!!

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    Reporting a cashier for not saying thank you will not get them fired or even written up, but after you leave from complaining about someone not saying thank you it will make you the butt of a lot of jokes. It is also not the cashiers job to bag your groceries in a grocery store. Where I work threatening to shop elsewhere really doesn't mean anything either because that is the threat everyone uses and then they are back in the next day as soon as there is a sale on.
    I love when people threaten not to come back, because usually when they are at that point (of making threats) they have become complete jerks, and we don't WANT them to come back! My line for when I'm told that... "Well there's a Wendy's just within walking distance, I'm sure those employees would love to deal with your abuse instead!"

>>>Tradelist & Wishlist<<<
    |MILK|CHICKEN|ARCTIC GARDENS|CHAPMANS|EUROPES BEST|SYB PINS|OJ|

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

Some managers will say Thank You I will deal with this employee and coach them but it is just a way to make you think something is being accomplished so you leave happy.
    daynabas likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thumbs up to Chantel for telling it like it is
    c_mcarthur likes this.

windowwendy
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

i work at a gas station and i have been spit on many many many times about the price of gas. guess what, the person standing behind the counter making $11 a hour does not control the price of gas. it is also a pet peve of mine how some people talk on their cell phones for the entire transaction and refuse to stop talking on it to even let you know what they want and then freak out cause i cant read thier minds. 90% of my customers i love and see them on the daily basis just the other 10% of the population are just rude and i sluff it off.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thank You Chantel, you rock! I wonder if we should start a fan club for Chantel! :D Lol!
    lessthannat likes this.
    Want Free Paypal money or Gift Cards? Here you go!!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/thiennga

Thanks for being my referral!!!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It has never even occurred to me to care if a cashier says "Thank you" to me.
    That is kind of a petty thing to make a fuss over.

Most cashiers say hello, ask if I found everything okay, promote a product/charity if that's what they're instructed to do, and tell me to have a nice day.

And that's perfectly acceptable to me.

But even if they are rude or perhaps indifferent, I'm still going to acknowledge them and be polite. Because it's who I am. People have bad days. I'm sure dealing with a lot of customers can make things very hard for a person. They are working, and just trying to get by like everyone else. Unless they are exceptionally rude I'm not going to make a fuss, as it gets us nowhere, and this single moment in time is not a significant event in my life.

That being said, I have worked in customer service. And I would like to tell all rude/mean/selfish customers, that we definitely talk about you once you leave, and it's usually just as rude/mean.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

customers will always have a way to tell us cashiers to do a better job...yesterday I had an older gentlemen tell me I am going to break my keyboard......I replyed back well I can type my codes in lighter then have them not go in then have to put a void sheet in which will take apx 5 minutes for each veg/pro. He had no coomment back.
    GoJays, xox2010 and torontogal12 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I kind of hate the customer service in Canada. In the USA they really do care about the customer. I feel that I am spending money in your store, and have the right to expect a certain amount of service. I feel that people working in stores in Canada think they can treat people poorly and that they'll keep coming back for more. In the USA they know that the customer won't take it, instead they'll get up and leave. I personally am not so attached to one particular store that I'm not afraid to leave. I know there are other stores that sell similar items at similar prices, so I'll just leave. I can go somewhere else.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    Where I work threatening to shop elsewhere really doesn't mean anything either because that is the threat everyone uses and then they are back in the next day as soon as there is a sale on.
    Every time I hear people say that they are never returning to this shop, I want to ask if this is a promise or not.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaRYoung View Post
    I kind of hate the customer service in Canada. In the USA they really do care about the customer. I feel that I am spending money in your store, and have the right to expect a certain amount of service. I feel that people working in stores in Canada think they can treat people poorly and that they'll keep coming back for more. In the USA they know that the customer won't take it, instead they'll get up and leave. I personally am not so attached to one particular store that I'm not afraid to leave. I know there are other stores that sell similar items at similar prices, so I'll just leave. I can go somewhere else.
    Totally agree with this. I've had this cashier at tim hortons get angry with me because i took one minute to look for some change in my purse. Like really? This would never happen in the states.
    time goes by like a shooting star ~

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Some cashiers just shouldn't be cashiers, but I also don't buy this oh maybe she is having a bad day excuse. I have bad days, I put on a smile for meetings and a cheerful tone for calls and am polite no matter how much of an ass I am dealing with. Yes it sucks and people are jerks but I don't want to take it out on the next person.

I do not however (and actually prefer they don't) expect a cashier to bag my groceries or thank me for shopping at that store. I expect them to acknowledge me when I start my transaction and tell me the amount of my total. Most say have a nice day and that's what I usually say back to cashiers even if they haven't.

I personally have few issues with cashiers, there are some I have learned to avoid bc they think I am ripping off the store by using coupons, but generally I chat with the cashier and am happy to tell their manager how nice they were.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree, FP...check your attitude and feelings of entitlement at the door, and things should work out fine.
    itsjustmebub, GoJays and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had a great cashier today. I had to buy my kids back to school shoes and am horrible at judging the fit, so I had a wonderful women help me with a fit, and then order me in another pair of shoes from a different store because they did not have the size that I required. She was helpful, polite and I told her thank you and I was appreciative of her help.
    Went to Sears to buy some back to school clothes, had another nice girl help me. I asked about selection, she said that was all they had and then told me that there was a lot of choice in what I was looking for in the Catalog, told me where it was and made sure that there was nothing else she could help me with before I went.
    On my way out, I saw some California shutters, so I went over to ask about the price because I am looking to replace mine. The woman asked how big my windows were, so I started telling her the sizes, got the dimensions of one window out of my mouth (I have a bay window and need 6 pieces) and she says "oh hang on" covers her mouth with one finger to shush me, and then yells past me to say hello to some person walking 20ft behind me. I walked out of the store.

There are good employees, there are bad employees. Supervisors and managers need to do a better job at hiring the right people. No excuse for rudeness.
    RebeccaRYoung and luckbealady like this.

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tearlessnights View Post
    Totally agree with this. I've had this cashier at tim hortons get angry with me because i took one minute to look for some change in my purse. Like really? This would never happen in the states.
    Were you in the drive-thru? Because that is super annoying. Yes, we realize you want to get rid of your nickels and pennies, but the drive-thru is NOT the place to do that. Have your money ready before you even get in the line. When you hold up the drive-thru, the customers behind you get upset and WE are the ones who get yelled at for being so slow. Taking a few seconds to find a penny because your total is $3.01 is one thing, but I have had people sit AT my window for 3 minutes and dig around for all their loose change. However, I do think it was very rude of that cashier to actually say something to you.... I normally just bite my tongue but I guess it depends on the situation. I have had to tell a few people "Ma'am/Sir, I understand you would like to get rid of your change, but there are over a dozen customers behind you who are waiting patiently. Would please pull around and come back through when you have your payment ready, thank-you." They weren't happy.... but one unhappy customer is better than a dozen besides, they HAD money, they just decided they wanted to give me $20.97 for their $5.97 order.... the $0.97 was in pennies

>>>Tradelist & Wishlist<<<
    |MILK|CHICKEN|ARCTIC GARDENS|CHAPMANS|EUROPES BEST|SYB PINS|OJ|

coupon freak
    Trading Score
    66 (100%)

I feel the need to respond as this is ridiculous and I hate being painted with the same brush as those who don't care.
    1st I am a Cashier..due to worker shortage in my area I also answer phones, order stock, stock shelves, carry out orders, deliver orders ,take out the trash ,wash the floors, cut meat in the Deli, make pizza, train students(as thats all we have applying) deal with Vendors heck today I even took a call from someone who just wanted to know what day it was. Guess what I do it all with a smile on my face and a nice word for everyone who comes in. I must be in dire money for cash right. NO! I don't have to work my hubby makes more than enough that I could sit on my butt eating dorritos and watching daytime tv. I do it because I want to and I treat people the way I want to be treated. My students are taught properly how to deal with customers I often say now think about what you just did (or saw) how would you feel if you were the customer would you come back or take your money elsewhere...they get it! Bad service does affect the bottom line and if your are a cashier who really thinks it doesn't matter yank out your paystubs from the few weeks after Christmas(January sometimes right until March) when all the big stores are cutting your hours as they are not able to give as many hours due to lower sales. That will happen more often if you scare your customers away. I can't imagine a store putting up with it(ok maybe Zellers oh wait probably not a good example) most stores the idea is to upsale and put another item in the customers cart not see how many carts we can keep looking shiny and unused. Now the comment that's what I do for minimum wage..no you do the job properly the way it should be done not thats what you get for minimum wage. If you don't want to get minimum wage for your efforts get your crap together and get a better job they are out there..just don't expect a reference because she /he does "minimum wage worthy work" just doesn't fly well with new employers.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information