User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Highway Driving!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    true but a transport truck riding the tail of a car isn't exactly smart. Im sure the driver of the Transport understands that his truck weighs about 24,000 lbs, (if it's empty and about 80,000 lbs if it's full depending on the cargo) and can't exactly stop on a dime. So he shouldn't be irresponsible enough to put himself and the driver in front of him in a dangerous situation.
    Yup .

He is speeding plus tail gaiting , a huge disaster waiting to happen..not vey smart , as they have a huge braking distance.

its not like the OP was going below the speed limit for the truck driver to do that , not saying its a right thing to do even if the OP was below the speed limit.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Why do 18 wheel trailers have the urge to drive over 100km!!!

I was driving 100 (Cruise control) and a massive truck behind me start flashing his lights and blasting his horn!!

So, i did this........ and another male gesture of this

Just follow the rules!! OMG!!!

Too bad someone couldn't get some particulars off the truck and report him to the police and his boss! I have done that when I caught 2 buses playing "pass the car" on the highway at 2 in the am.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by idonovan View Post
    Here the speed on the hiway is 120 so its not uncommon for people to go 140. big trucks have a schedual to keep to and if they are behind they need to make up for it.
    Here the speed on the hiway is 120 so its not uncommon for people to go 140.
    It is thinking like this the causes accidents. If the schedule is so tight so as to not allow for possible delays, than the company needs to re-think their strategies.

A vehicle reacts differently at every speed, the higher the speed the longer to stop is the perfect example of this. Higher speeds require different driver reaction times, and if the driver is required to drive faster than is normal for them, their reactions are going to be incorrect and possibly too slow to stop a tragedy.

Edit: Second quote - Which highways have a speed limit of 120 in Alberta? You're listed in Calgary, and I can find 110 as the maximum in AB. Enlighten me, please.
    Last edited by Safyre; Thu, Aug 23rd, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

sorry double post
    Last edited by idonovan; Thu, Aug 23rd, 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

i now cant find proof odd cuz just out of the city to cross iron mills i swear it was 120. It was a year since i went down there though. I may not be able to express myself in writing because I have troble withspelling and grammer as english not firt language. But all my point is, is that a lot of ppl speed on highways most of them only by 5 to 10km at the most some still more. I dont thing excess speed is ok but a car who does this a lot only speeding by a few like 5km is not that big of a risk especialy on a clear day. I know cops and i know they wont pull you over for small amounts of speed like 5km. I even had some pass me when i was going 5over.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I'm happy hubby doesnt see this post about truckers..lol... he'd have a playday telling some of you the horror stories about stupid people driving cars on the highways.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmel View Post
    I'm happy hubby doesnt see this post about truckers..lol... he'd have a playday telling some of you the horror stories about stupid people driving cars on the highways.
    don't get me wrong, i know there's just as many stupid automobile drivers out there. Im not lumping all truck drivers into the same category. But the driver the OP is talking about is definately pushing it if he's already doing 100 in an 18 wheeler and is riding the ass end of a car so that he can go faster.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

don't get me wrong, i know there's just as many stupid automobile drivers out there. Im not lumping all truck drivers into the same category. But the driver the OP is talking about is definately pushing it if he's already doing 100 in an 18 wheeler and is riding the ass end of a car so that he can go faster.
    Well when you start off a thread like this " Why do 18 wheel trailers have the urge to drive over 100km!!! " it kinda makes it sound like he's pointing fingers to all of them...not cool!
    GoJays, erin9mmm and Darth Penguin like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i now cant find proof odd cuz just out of the city to cross iron mills i swear it was 120. It was a year since i went down there though. I may not be able to express myself in writing because I have troble withspelling and grammer as english not firt language. But all my point is, is that a lot of ppl speed on highways most of them only by 5 to 10km at the most some still more. I dont thing excess speed is ok but a car who does this a lot only speeding by a few like 5km is not that big of a risk especialy on a clear day. I know cops and i know they wont pull you over for small amounts of speed like 5km. I even had some pass me when i was going 5over.
    I couldn't find anything within Alberta traffic Act, but I figured if you are there you would know better than me when I'm just searching online. I can only find 110 as maximum in Alberta.

My Dad often makes a joke "I never drive above the speed limit, as I have yet to find my speed limit" and while this makes me annoyed, the meaning behind it is valid: Drive the speed at which you are comfortable.

I personally have no complaints about truckers, I find them to be no less respectful than other drivers, I am more often pleased with the driving of a truck than another vehicle.

There is a legal appeal going on in Ontario right now, as commercial vehicles were being required to have a speed limiter of 105 km/p (this has now been deemed unconstitutional) I personally hated driving next to trucks with limiters. I live near the 401 corridor that is called Carnage Alley, and the flow of traffic on this part of the highway is often running at 110-120 km/h. With the truckers going to the Windsor border crossing, the right lane would be clogged with trucks making it near impossible to merge onto or off the highway during busy periods, you were met with a wall of trucks in the 'slow' lane. The speed limiters did not make it any safer on the highway I drive, and I'd be pretty interested to know whether they did improve driving on any highways.
    idonovan likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmel View Post
    Well when you start off a thread like this " Why do 18 wheel trailers have the urge to drive over 100km!!! " it kinda makes it sound like he's pointing fingers to all of them...not cool!
    True, but like i said...i wasn't lumping all truck drivers into the "bad apple" category.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

True, but like i said...i wasn't lumping all truck drivers into the "bad apple" category.
    Oh, i never said you did Sunshyne. I was quoting this from the op.
    Sunshyne1 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I personally think that the problem lies in the interpretation of "Maximum 100" and people not understanding that they are suppose to drive in the right lane, and the left lane is for passing, as opposed to the fast lane and slow lane.
    If the maximum speed is 100, that leaves the speed open for interpretation for people driving. So you get the bunch of people that are perfectly comfortable driving 90, because they are, in their minds, doing no harm because they are not at the MAXIMUM speed. You then have the aggressive drivers getting angry because they are not going fast enough (because the max is 100 after all) and driving too fast to go around them.
    There are the people who drive 112 because they know that the police will not pull them over for doing 12 over (or even 120 for that matter).
    There are the people who drive 130 and 140 because they know where the speed traps are and that the police do not monitor the roads for speeding.

I think that the speed limit should be an exact number, not a MINIMUM or a MAXIMUM. There should be a 5-10 km/h leeway (for the purpose of safe passing and merging, etc), people who drive too slow, too fast, do not move over for merging traffic or hog the passing lane should be pulled over and given a ticket. It might even be a good idea to get special police on the road that just monitor the roads for people driving like idiots.

If a truck has to drive up someones rear because he has to keep a schedule, then there is something wrong with the scheduling. A trip should be planned and time should be allowed for the drive, time for breaks and added time for possible traffic issues....maybe if companies were given the speeding tickets for the trucks that drive for this purpose it will discourage this bad practice.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

if you're cruising at 100, i hope it's on the slow lane.

off topic slightly, but pet peeve ... people who slow down to 80-90 on the highway, because the exit ramp "is approaching". seriously, these are accidents waiting to happen! Also, people who drive too slowly ON ramps.
    /rant.
    momgoneawol and idonovan like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

The speed limit for varies in NS and NB. My in-laws live on an 80 maximum highway. Most highways here seem to be 100km limit. 90kms on the two lane highways (one lane for each direction). I try to drive around the maximum limit. If people have an issue with that, they are welcome to pass me, tailgating me won't make me drive faster than the limit. I usually use cruise control when traveling.

I greatly disliked driving on the 401 in Ontario. I rather highway driving to city driving though anyday. I seem to get tailgated on my way to work every morning, even though I am doing the speedlimit of 50, in a residential area, sometimes a little less, as I drive by two universities on my way to work, so heavy pedestrian traffic. I don't understand why people are in such a hurry. I get worried about what if I have to stop fast because of a pedestrian etc, about getting my rear end crashed into by the fool in back of me. I wish the cops would catch the tailgaters or the tailgaters would realize I am not going any faster because they are on my tail.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Why do 18 wheel trailers have the urge to drive over 100km!!!

I was driving 100 (Cruise control) and a massive truck behind me start flashing his lights and blasting his horn!!

So, i did this........ and another male gesture of this

Just follow the rules!! OMG!!!
    Making those gestures to an 18 wheeler?
    That's something that Price is Right would do.
    But not Stifler.
    No, not is character for Stifler.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information