User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Shocking discrimination..

Member of rep ho-ing club kelly25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I went to bingo (yes I like bingo ) with an old friend, her mother, grandmother, aunts ect. I don’t know her family very well but at first look they seem to be fun ppl. Half way through the night her mother looks at me and says ‘Kelly, my daughter told me that your son’s godfather is a homosexual now I have to ask aren’t you afraid of your son being around those type of ppl!? You know they have diseases and it is the safety of your child on the line here’’ I sat there shocked looking around to see if this was real, if others were reacting but they all just sat there waiting for me to answer (including this old friend I haven’t seen in a long time). At this point I got up and left didn’t think these ppl were worth the words I could speak. My children have same sex grandmothers, same sex uncles (aka god father), my best friend is a man in a same sex couple and that’s just the start, never seen discrimination fist hand like that before (my mother works for the human rights department, I was raised on those basis)
    So, yes that’s right ppl discriminate in this day and age. Although I would like to be angry and have a rant full of clever insults but honestly I simply feel sad…

Name:  FACEBOOK-LOGO.png
Views: 1023
Size:  4.9 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by kelly25; Mon, Sep 10th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Jezebel, DaveP, Armygirl76 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Oh wow...first what is it any of her business...ugh some ppl really have no boundaries.
    Good for you for leaving!
    Jezebel and bgheuchert like this.

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Wow, good on you for being able to hold you tongue.
    I couldnt say Id do the same, id probably tell her off LOL

Youd think this day and age people wouldnt be so disgustingly homophobic
    FallenPixels likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

good for you for walking away, she is not worth the words. It is people like her I need to protect my children from as they do not need to be exposed to such bile.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Firstly good for you for not making a scene! Secondly as commented by others it's none of their business. Why would people (strangers) bring up such a subject first of all, weird.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

the way I see it some people especially the older folks are very far back in the ages and they need to be taught not scolded...about what it really is to be gay in these days...not something that can be caught or learned...some people still think that I being of mixed race is wrong but everyone has to evolve with the times and either learn to accept or be excluded from the world. I know I am from such a small town that most races I had never heard of until I moved to Toronto..by moving here I have learned so much and it has opened my eyes...maybe that is what they need to do...I went to my step nephew's same sex wedding ..sorry to hear you had to deal with that
    super_e and alicia like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

What an awful woman, you handled it gracefully which is a merit to you. Imagine the hurt people like this incur on a daily basis, very sad.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Good for walking away and not coming down to their level. I would probably answer 'not as half as worried as I am about them being around people with an ignorance level as high as yours'
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Just sad. Good for you for walking away although I am sure that was difficult I know it would have been for me.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I like Bingo too. I used to go every Friday night with my mom. After she passed away I would still go on her Birthday, I haven't since I moved though. Not to distract from your post but I love Bingo too
    super_e likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

"Better for them to be around 'diseased' gays than hateful people like YOU" is what I would have said.

Good for you for walking away. So sad people are this horrible in this day and age.
    thriftygranny and Safyre like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizamarie View Post
    the way I see it some people especially the older folks are very far back in the ages and they need to be taught not scolded...about what it really is to be gay in these days...not something that can be caught or learned...some people still think that I being of mixed race is wrong but everyone has to evolve with the times and either learn to accept or be excluded from the world. I know I am from such a small town that most races I had never heard of until I moved to Toronto..by moving here I have learned so much and it has opened my eyes...maybe that is what they need to do...I went to my step nephew's same sex wedding ..sorry to hear you had to deal with that
    I totally agree with this. Sometimes people come from a different generation, thus a different way of thinking about things. It's more helpful to teach them about acceptance so that they can act more appropriately. It's kind of like a young child, you have to model the behaviour that you want them to exhibit. So, if you want your children to be accepting of people, then you have to be. If you want your mom/dad/aunt/etc to demonstrate acceptance then you may have to teach them how.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

1) The question had nothing to do with bingo!
    2) The "old friend" loses a place in your address book/contact lists for not heading off the inquisitor. The friend is no longer one.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Wow! I think I would have nearly had a stroke if someone said that near me. So glad you left. No one wants to live a life where they are targeted by hatred and ignorance. Still work to do to educate.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I think I can top this one...I was on the streetcar today and the driver had to actually kick an old guy off for being racist. He was like 70-80 at least and wouldn't let a woman sit there because she wasn't white (I wasn't on the streetcar when that happened), then he wouldn't let a guy get on for the same reason (I was on the streetcar sitting behind him). There were no seats left so the guy tried to remove his bag from the seat since he wanted to sit and the old guy started pushing him and telling him he was calling the cops to have him charged for assault. A bunch of people actually told him to do it so the cops could show up and laugh at him LOL! Finally the driver made the old guy move his stuff, but after he wanted to get out so he could go somewhere else in the streetcar. Then he started shouting racist stuff at the guy from afar so the driver kicked him off. Seriously I've never seen something that bad before because of race like this old guy was soooo disgusted to be sitting by someone not the same colour as him...It was repulsive and I felt bad for the guy that just wanted to sit down like seriously he gets on the streetcar and pays his fair to be treated like crap in front of everyone.
    SFARAZ and Ammu like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information