User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: sampling fruits

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

i would never eat a grape from a bag in the store that wasn't paid for. That's stealing. Besides grapes are weighted, what are the cashier's suppose to do guess how many you've had and come up with a price? I wont eat any food until it is washed. I've seen people not wash their hands in the bathroom, and go grocery shopping. I don't want to expose myself or my family to that.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ok i guess i need to clarify, im talking about the people that pick out all of the crushed or rotten grapes, and put them in a different bag , so their grapes are absolutly perfect. Or the people who take grapes out of bags and fill their bag up. and leave a few bags behind with just about no grapes in them. I think if they want that many grapes they should just grab a few dofferent bags.
    SFARAZ likes this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'll pull bunches of grapes out of several bags and put them into a separate produce bag to purchase. I'm picky about fruit, I don't want squashy or moldy grapes, and I don't think it's part of the deal to have to include the bunch that's rotten just because they're sharing a bag with some nice ones.

I don't eat fruit in the store, I want to get them washed first. But on that subject, if someone's been handling them, etc., is my rinsing them off with water going to do much about it? I try not to think about that.
    Jezebel, Natalka, Eva-M and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I figured that the abundant use of plastic clamshells for things like berries and tempting stone fruits was a way to keep the contents together until the cashier rang them through. Also, the clamshells allow the lookers to see the goods and vent holes gave some air circulation.

Then today, I noticed on the Spectator's site that one reporter went to Nation's Fresh Food store opening in Woodbridge, ON. The reporter commented on the plastic packaging (like plastic wrap on vegetables etc.) in use (photo provided in the social media feed) and hoped that was not coming to the Hamilton store later (to open Spring 2013 in Jackson Square). Well, that plastic would slow down any shopper thinking to have a free taste of the produce, I think.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I dislike it when people start eating food in the produce section of the grocery store. It's stealing. No amount of excuses can change the fact that you are stealing. It doesn't matter if you're just testing one or not, it's still stealing. You don't test just one of the bananas, apples, bell peppers, lettuce, or pears, so why do you think you can test a grape. Is it because it's small. Diamonds can be small, does that mean I can leave the store with it to 'test it' beforehand? Obviously not. Or is it that it's perceived to be inexpensive? Well, if everyone stole one grape each time they went grocery shopping, that would be millions of grapes, and thus millions of dollars. It's still stealing.
    SFARAZ, jessep13, ssbean and 1 others like this.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

I thought of this thread and thought I just HAD to share this story lol I was in Fortino's yesterday and an older gentlemen was at the bulk getting peanuts(This just PROVES why I HATE HATE bulk wether bun, nuts ect lol) he was scooping them out and all the yucky peanuts he was picking out with his hand and throwing them back in the bin EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaRYoung View Post
    I dislike it when people start eating food in the produce section of the grocery store. It's stealing. No amount of excuses can change the fact that you are stealing. It doesn't matter if you're just testing one or not, it's still stealing. You don't test just one of the bananas, apples, bell peppers, lettuce, or pears, so why do you think you can test a grape. Is it because it's small. Diamonds can be small, does that mean I can leave the store with it to 'test it' beforehand? Obviously not. Or is it that it's perceived to be inexpensive? Well, if everyone stole one grape each time they went grocery shopping, that would be millions of grapes, and thus millions of dollars. It's still stealing.
    Now, now, play nice..lol! you can share your opinion without making others feel like darn criminals. You have your opinion but keep in mind others do also... no need to bash other peoples comments to make your point look like a rainbow.
    GoJays and TudorChick like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I bought grapes today and just happened to witness an independent survey of potential grape buyers. (I take forever to pick produce! ) I bought two bags (in the plastic baggie, not removed, and untasted). While I was there, five people stopped by. One just looked at the bag and bought it. Four people tasted the grapes, three bought a different bag than the one they tasted, and one didn't buy any.

I was a bit surprised by the high amount of grape tasters but what really shocked me was one of the tasters. She tore a grape open, sucked out the inside to the skin, and then put it back in the grapes for sale. I don't think I even looked at her, I just stared at the discarded, licked grape like !!! As much grape tasting goes on, I never thought people did that!

I cringe to think that someone might buy that, or not wash their grapes and feed some to their little ones, or eat one next to it ... Now I'm wishing I got a plastic bag and took it out (to where, I haven't a clue - maybe the garbage bin at McDonalds). I didn't think of that.
    SFARAZ, jessep13 and ssbean like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I bought grapes today and just happened to witness an independent survey of potential grape buyers. (I take forever to pick produce! ) I bought two bags (in the plastic baggie, not removed, and untasted). While I was there, five people stopped by. One just looked at the bag and bought it. Four people tasted the grapes, three bought a different bag than the one they tasted, and one didn't buy any.

I was a bit surprised by the high amount of grape tasters but what really shocked me was one of the tasters. She tore a grape open, sucked out the inside to the skin, and then put it back in the grapes for sale. I don't think I even looked at her, I just stared at the discarded, licked grape like !!! As much grape tasting goes on, I never thought people did that!

I cringe to think that someone might buy that, or not wash their grapes and feed some to their little ones, or eat one next to it ... Now I'm wishing I got a plastic bag and took it out (to where, I haven't a clue - maybe the garbage bin at McDonalds). I didn't think of that.
    *VOMIT* that's disgusting.
    ssbean and nessa23 like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    Im guilty of eating a grape to see if they're sweet or sour before buying a bunch.

I hate buying grapes, not trying one first, then getting home and they're sour and I end up throwing them out.

I don't eat handfuls...just one to test. And I don't test all bunches there. I pick one from a bunch, and if it's good I take that bunch.

And I also break up bunches. Im not going to pay for a full pound of grapes because I know I won't eat them all before they go bad.

guess I am "one of those" people....lol...

My very frugal grandma used to do that, wanted to make sure they were a good batch. I used to be embarassed by that but when I sometimes get a yucky batch I remember her
    GoJays and ssbean like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    I thought of this thread and thought I just HAD to share this story lol I was in Fortino's yesterday and an older gentlemen was at the bulk getting peanuts(This just PROVES why I HATE HATE bulk wether bun, nuts ect lol) he was scooping them out and all the yucky peanuts he was picking out with his hand and throwing them back in the bin EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    I tend to avoid most bulk bins stuff too, you just never know Blehhh

But I guess anything is vulnerable, anyone remember that Calgary woman charged with putting pins in various foods at a Co-op?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...an-guilty.html

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessep13 View Post
    ok i guess i need to clarify, im talking about the people that pick out all of the crushed or rotten grapes, and put them in a different bag , so their grapes are absolutly perfect. Or the people who take grapes out of bags and fill their bag up. and leave a few bags behind with just about no grapes in them. I think if they want that many grapes they should just grab a few dofferent bags.
    i'm with Zonny, i'm not a fruit tester, i will not eat any fruits or vegetables until i wash them, even from my own garden... BUT why should i pay for a rotton grape (or more)? why should i be the one to take the loss on something that's going into the trash? why should i expect anything less than perfect? i'm spending good money in these stores, i'd expect the produce to be as good as my money
    Eva-M, GoddessDigi, SFARAZ and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

If it's from my own garden I don't feel the need to wash it. I don't put pesticides on the stuff, no one else is groping it, what is there to wash off?
    GoJays and colourcube like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

imaginary BUGS!!!
    ssbean likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee09 View Post
    I tend to avoid most bulk bins stuff too, you just never know Blehhh

But I guess anything is vulnerable, anyone remember that Calgary woman charged with putting pins in various foods at a Co-op?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...an-guilty.html
    I remember hearing this, glad she was caught.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information