User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Fabric shopping bags grr!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

it's official my first rant!

i'm soo frustrated with people pushing those damn cloth fabric bags at me.. i want to use plastic! i have a right to use plastic! if the store offers me plastic that is what i will use.. i hate cloth.. i hate storing them at home, i hate them tangled all up in my trunk, i hate tripping on the straps,i hate that i have to gauge my shopping to make sure i have "enough bags", i hate feeling like the bag lady carrying them in and out of stores, i hate having to wash them i just hate them (yes i know it sounds a little harsh but hey.. this is a rant!)

i've been having an issue with safeway shopping bags breaking on me(and then the glass jar of whatever within the bag breaks) that.. it's a serious quality issue.. and i've lost a fair bit of product leaving me out $$ just due to waste (and it sucks to high hell having to clean up a broken jar of dill pickles!) i have a right to voice my concern and annoyance.. sure enough.. people have to come along and tell me to switch to fabric.. the store offers plastic bags.. i am going to use them.. i don't need people coming along telling me to switch to fabric.. i've tried it.. i hate it i don't need to be told "do the environment a favor" it's my choice and if plastic is offered to me i'm going to use it! down with fabric.. bring on the plastic!

(ok i feel much better for that)
    This thread is currently associated with: Safeway
    Last edited by Midnightly; Sun, Aug 26th, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was hoping this was gonna be a rant as to whether reuseable is better or not... but hey, your rant is valid too! I've found certain stores to have worse bags than others - I LOVE no frills bags, they stand up to anything, but Giant Tiger could get ripped just by you looking at them wrong. I feel your pain!
    Candini likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Yeah...I use the Metro kind of handy plastic more resistant reusable so environmently okaie and It is all good for me .I just take a clothes with soap and water and clean them...more easy and never mpaid the 5$ cent!!! Of I have maybe 3 things I ask for sticker and no bag.
    Last edited by cath007; Sun, Aug 26th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
    super_e likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    it's official my first rant!

i'm soo frustrated with people pushing those damn cloth fabric bags at me.. i want to use plastic! i have a right to use plastic! if the store offers me plastic that is what i will use.. i hate cloth.. i hate storing them at home, i hate them tangled all up in my trunk, i hate tripping on the straps,i hate that i have to gauge my shopping to make sure i have "enough bags", i hate feeling like the bag lady carrying them in and out of stores, i hate having to wash them i just hate them (yes i know it sounds a little harsh but hey.. this is a rant!)

i've been having an issue with safeway shopping bags breaking on me(and then the glass jar of whatever within the bag breaks) that.. it's a serious quality issue.. and i've lost a fair bit of product leaving me out $$ just due to waste (and it sucks to high hell having to clean up a broken jar of dill pickles!) i have a right to voice my concern and annoyance.. sure enough.. people have to come along and tell me to switch to fabric.. the store offers plastic bags.. i am going to use them.. i don't need people coming along telling me to switch to fabric.. i've tried it.. i hate it i don't need to be told "do the environment a favor" it's my choice and if plastic is offered to me i'm going to use it! down with fabric.. bring on the plastic!

(ok i feel much better for that)

i am a cashier and thise cloth bags is our worst nightmare if u buy metro bags and sobeys bags i fight they are little bit more sturdy and not so annoying
    pippinelkhound and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Longos has amazing plastic bags. And they don`t charge. Their thick and sturdy and you could fill it with 10 jars and wont rip. (Maybe not 10, but you get the point)

I always forget my cloth bags at home, or dont have enough. Plus their great to use at home (for garbage pails, cat box etc)

I hear ya!
    pippinelkhound and GoJays like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

I agree with the above. I am not a fan of the "floppy" cloth bags. But if somone brings one of the stronger ones that stay square or the collapsable ones with the plastic bottoms to make them stand upright, then that's all good

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, if the glass jars break in the store or in the parking lot, they should replace them for free.

I think I've been brainwashed.
    I don't mind the bags. Maybe it's Safeway's bags?
    Metro and Sobey's stands up well (plasticy bags)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also hate reusable shopping bags (aka fabric ones). I am less than thrilled (major understatement) that Toronto plans to ban them - thanks for inconveniencing so many to spite the mayor, City Council. Please don't lecture me on how plastic bags are responsible for the destruction of our environment - you're telling me the thing I actually find useful to carry my purchases is somehow more damaging than the ridiculous amount of plastic that each item is wrapped in as part of its packaging? Please. Spare me.

The outrage that followed the banning announcement spoke volumes about how people feel. And stores will continue to sell plastic bags, except rather than paying 5c for one, they will be sold on the shelves and you're responsible for bringing your own to the store. Tell me how that achieves anything?

My plastic bags are reusable, thank you very much. I line the garbage with them. Many people use them to pick up their dog's waste. I use them to carry other things.

Shaking my head.

Thanks for letting me add my rant to yours, OP. Sure you can tell I wholeheartedly agree with you.
    Last edited by Aimz; Sun, Aug 26th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
    rehender, abouret, nessa23 and 2 others like this.

[*A I M Z*]

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I prefer the cloth bags, much easier to use. Will only use the plastic, when I'm lazy and forgot to grab the reuseable out of the car on the way into the store, or when we are running low on the plastic type collection at home - as we use these for cat litter

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I have the two types of reusable bags - ones for heavy stuff, and ones for lighter items. The cloth ones are only used to carry breads, eggs, those sorts of things, and the other ones carry lots of heavy stuff.

I find that the bags I bought at Food Basics ages ago are quite strong, as well as from SDM, Bulk Barn, and of course LCBO since they are made to carry heavy bottles lol

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aimz View Post
    I also hate reusable shopping bags (aka fabric ones). I am less than thrilled (major understatement) that Toronto plans to ban them - thanks for inconveniencing so many to spite the mayor, City Council. Please don't lecture me on how plastic bags are responsible for the destruction of our environment - you're telling me the thing I actually find useful to carry my purchases is somehow more damaging than the ridiculous amount of plastic that each item is wrapped in as part of its packaging? Please. Spare me.

The outrage that followed the banning announcement spoke volumes about how people feel. And stores will continue to sell plastic bags, except rather than paying 5c for one, they will be sold on the shelved and you're responsible for bringing your own to the store. Tell me how that achieves anything?

My plastic bags are reusable, thank you very much. I line the garbage with them. Many people use them to pick up their dog's waste. I use them to carry other things.

Shaking my head.

Thanks for letting me add my rant to yours, OP. Sure you can tell I wholeheartedly agree with you.
    Yup. Toronto city council is an unusual bunch, these days.
    I wonder if the city council meetings are done with meals entirely without plastic containers , plates, forks, knives, cups etc.? Probably not!

About the grocery store bags, I have seen people take whole carts full of paid groceries out to their car, without bags.
    The refuse to pay for the plastic bags or to buy the reusable bags or bins.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am not a big fan of the plastic bags. I find that they just collect and the clutter irritates me. They are not big enough to fit into my garbage bins, so they only time I use them is when I am picking up after the dog on a walk or when i make my kids clean the car.

The bins from NoFrills and Zehrs are good for shopping. They may be bulky, but they fit a whole heck of a lot in them, so it makes for less trips and no broken bottles or eggs. I also like the bags that Costco sells. They are much bigger than the $1 ones at the grocery stores, they stand up very well and keep their shape and they are so strong. I am not a big fan of the cloth ones for shopping either, I usually use them a few times and then when they start tearing at the seams I hang them off my bedroom door and fill with cold clothes for donations.

Trading Score
    213 (98%)

yes safeway bags are TERRIBLE. they made them that way so they would be better for the environment. they should totally replace any broken jars caused by their bags breaking. I love the cloth bags but NEVER remember to bring them with me when I go shopping. I THINK safeway has paper bags that you can ask for. Im pretty sure I remember seeing them from my starbucks kiosk in front of the tills

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Costco has the best reusable bags, really strong.

I agree with having too many reusable bags. My church runs a foodbank, so I donate them there. I keep my sobeys ones, as I find them useful, and if they start to get haggard you can take them into sobeys and get them replaced for free. They aren't as sturdy as they used to be though.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I always forget my plastic bags, too. No Frills has the best plastic, Safeway has the worst. I wholeheartedly support the desire to preserve our environment by using cloth bags, but those things are awkward to use and unless you wash them regularly they are harbors for some nasty bacteria. I think it's time that I buy a couple of the Superstore green bins.

I really miss the old, strong paper grocery bags with the flat bottoms....
    Last edited by DianneS; Sun, Aug 26th, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
    matrix82 likes this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information