User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Bed bugs continured!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi, I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that although diatomaceous earth is supposedly safe to use, it could hurt the cats if they happen to ingest the powder (if they get it on them and they clean themselves). Also be aware that if inhaled it can cause problems in your lungs.

I am not sure where you reside, ie province, but if you live in Ontario, you are protected under the Residential Tenancy Act, which is very clear that a landlord is responsible for pest control. If he is not meeting his/her responsibilities, you can go to the Landlord and Tenant Board and file a complaint. You can also call Public Health if its a bad infestation and they will come and do an assessment.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yep. That's why the cats should not be in the room when you are laying the powder down. Once it has settled, it's safe. You're not putting it in the middle of the floor - just on the bed frame and base boards and places like that.
    matrix82 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Thanks for the info guys!
    We keep the door to our bedroom closed now because we had the diatomaceous earth in there before, and the smell was incredibly strong
    We've been finding a few bugs here and there (apparently with steam treatment there can be activity for up to 2 weeks afterwards and we may need another treatment).
    I'm not sure if I mentioned already, but when we move we're not taking any furnature with us. We have to restart with new everything. We're going to take our clothes, food, cutlery/plates/cups and such, and bedding and thats it really. We don't want to be the ones to bring bugs into our new place, so the day before we move we're taking everything to the machines downstairs and some to a laundrymat and putting everything in the dryers and then directly into vacuum seal bags to take to the new place.
    Very very expensive, but there isnt much we can do other than that.
    Our neightbor said he doesnt have bugs and didnt need the treatment, so I guess we somehow are the ones bringing them into our apartment, but I honestly dont know how. When we moved in everything was either brand new, or from our parents house (neither of our parents have ever had bugs). Every time we had heat treatment we left everything inside, the only things we put out onto the deck was pictures, my make up, and the aerosol cans (so that they dont explode). Maybe the people above or below us have bugs? don't know..

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow! That sounds so frustrating!
    It's weird that you smelled the diatomaceous earth. The stuff I have doesn't smell like anything. Maybe there was something extra added to the stuff that you used.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I remember not long ago people in New York were picking up beg bugs in movie theatres and infecting their home, so you could have gotten them anywhere. I didn't realize they were on the west coast though.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

I feel horrible for you all I have never had to deal with the issue myself, but I have read about them and situations like yours. I hope the landlord has solved the problem for you! That is one reason I told my fiance I could not live in a building because I hate bugs and would be paranoid about getting them in the building. And you're right - your neighbours and actually the whole floor should be treated! They can spread through the hallways, vents, etc.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Blame the DDT ban. When DDT was introduced, bed bugs are largely eliminated. When they banned DDT, they were introduced by backpack travellers. If they lifted the ban, they'd be gone in a year. BTW, had they not imposed the ban, millions wouldn't have died of malaria either.
    matrix82 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information