User Tag List

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1273Likes

Thread: So Disappointed

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is actually my very first post although I have been on this site for awhile. Your thread really hit home for me because all I can think about lately is finances. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer and will be off work for who knows how long. First a mastectomy and then chemo and radiation. I will receive 60% of my pay which is better than nothing and I am very grateful but I can barely pay all my bills now. I am a single mom with 3 kids, a house, car and dog. Like others have said I am already thinking of ways to cut back and have already decided to cancel my house phone and the tv. If I did drugs , drank or smoked I would cut those out too but I don't do any of those things.
    So here I will be unable to pay for everything and unable to work and yet SOME people on welfare can just sit back and bring the money in. I believe if able they should be out working for their money..they should be accountable for what they buy.... Because it really sucks that i won't be able to afford my bills , yet my income will still be helping to pay for theirs.
    Life isn't fair though so I'm not sure why we think it should be.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    The thing is people make these comments yet are so ignorant (in the truest sense of the word, meaning uninformed).

I myself have been on assistance years ago when I was going through a rough time. I spent this money on rent (lived with MIL) and food. I was luckily only on it for a few months because I was able to get help from DH's family and I found a job. So I know how much they give a single person and do you know how much that is? Probably not if you're paying $60, 000 a year in taxes yikes! You get $480 a month. I have heard some people get up to $580. This does NOT pay your rent and no they do not cover your rent for you. They do not give you food stamps (as far as I know this is an American thing, maybe it's different in other provinces I live in Ontario) , and you're allowed to visit the food bank once a MONTH. Again, not sure the rules in other provinces but this is the case where I live. So people are supposed to pay rent and bills and buy food with $480 a month yet rent even with room mates is usually that price alone.

Maybe the reason parents sold their kids' textbooks and accepted new ones is to pay for food and clothes for their kids. Do you accept a tax break on things you're eligible for? Do you hand in receipts to get money back? Why? Because you're entitled to. If it's something they offer, and they can make a bit of money back to send their kids to school with new shoes I personally don't see any harm in it.

When you say, 'If they want cash, get a job' you are forgetting about those who are slow (yes sadly some slow people have family who leave them to fend for themselves and I have seen so many people struggling and on welfare because of this), have abused drugs so are dealing with mental issues due to that, or had a rough past and have criminal records therefor are turned down for jobs. I know that a lot of Ontario Works offices require you to be actively seeking jobs and help you apply and need to see proof. This is helpful for them in some ways, especially those who have never been taught how to write up a resume, etc. It's hard to find a job for someone without these issues, at least where I live it is!

I guess I would just like to see some compassion rather than slander. In the end, if you really want something done about the situation, you should volunteer some way to try and help the people who do abuse the system. Help people kick their bad addictions and show them support and a new way of living rather than calling them low lives (in not so many words) because that's really not going to help at all.

ETA: not picking on you just kind of ended up using your post to reply

I'm standing by my views. Sorry. One part stood out to me in your reply:

"Maybe the reason parents sold their kids' textbooks and accepted new ones is to pay for food and clothes for their kids. Do you accept a tax break on things you're eligible for? Do you hand in receipts to get money back? Why? Because you're entitled to."

Your right, I certainly do hand in tax receipts and claim as much money back as we can..... and you know why?? Because its money WE pay in!! we ARE entitled to that. Those texts books are GIVEN to them to the government, they should not be ENTITLED to sell them, do you know why that is?? Its because the tax dollars that I'm not able to recover from the government PAYS for them.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    I'm standing by my views. Sorry. One part stood out to me in your reply:

"Maybe the reason parents sold their kids' textbooks and accepted new ones is to pay for food and clothes for their kids. Do you accept a tax break on things you're eligible for? Do you hand in receipts to get money back? Why? Because you're entitled to."

Your right, I certainly do hand in tax receipts and claim as much money back as we can..... and you know why?? Because its money WE pay in!! we ARE entitled to that. Those texts books are GIVEN to them to the government, they should not be ENTITLED to sell them, do you know why that is?? Its because the tax dollars that I'm not able to recover from the government PAYS for them.

Do you also disagree with free health care?
    ETA because a lot of honest people WITH jobs wouldn't be able to afford most of the things we currently get free thabks to our wonderful system, but by your logic, since some people abuse the system (yes some abuse the health care system too; with any good thing comes its bad) we should ban free health care entirely and effectively screw over all the honest hard working people who need it too.
    Last edited by Bronwen; Thu, Sep 13th, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Do you also disagree with free health care?
    No I agree with free health care, because its non-selective. If you have a job its free, if you don't have a job, its free.

on the other hand, I happen to think the health care system is another thing that many welfare recipients abuse.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    No I agree with free health care, because its non-selective. If you have a job its free, if you don't have a job, its free.

on the other hand, I happen to think the health care system is another thing that many welfare recipients abuse.
    I love how it's only the people receiving assistance who abuse it in your view :screwy:
    teverett likes this.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

Oh, very touchy and opinion based subject here. Hmmmm... I will list some facts of my own personal experiences:

As many of you know, I provide emergency baby essentials to families in need that have nowhere else to turn for help. On many occasions, I have provided for working families who are not on welfare when they experienced a devastating life or financial crisis, were between paychecks or just couldn't make ends meet that month. On many occasions, I have provided for families on welfare because the food banks are out of formula/diapers and they just don't get have enough money left to buy these items for their children.

I have gone to drop off items to both working and welfare families and had parents answer the door smoking cigarettes, drinking beer or wearing fancy brand name clothing. I have also met many working families and welfare families that have quit smoking/drinking etc. in order to make their budgets work.

Of all the families I meet, I can't really say that welfare families smoke/drink/do drugs anymore then working families do. The bottom line for me is that the children get what they need, regardless of what the parents do with their money.
    Last edited by SavenRaven; Thu, Sep 13th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

Oh yikes, a lot had happened in this thread while I was typing my post!

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Haha that would be me replying a million times
    SavenRaven likes this.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

I love how it's only the people receiving assistance who abuse it in your view :screwy:
    No, I didn't say that at all. We are on the topic of people receiving assistance, not the working class. I just made a point in relation to the topic, that many people on welfare do abuse it.

The bottom line, regardless of if they were sexually asaulted as a child, or if they have a drug addiction or whatever, neither of those is an excuse to become a long time welfare recipient.

We come in to this world with NOTHING its our job to make SOMETHING out of it. Everyone's situation ( aside from the ill of course ) is a reflection of choices they made.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

i totally disagree with OP, welfare recipients should not be able to spend this money on needless crap like alcohol and cigarettes. if i see one more boozy mother pushing her baby in a stroller while smoking a cigarette i may barf.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    i totally disagree with OP, welfare recipients should not be able to spend this money on needless crap like alcohol and cigarettes. if i see one more boozy mother pushing her baby in a stroller while smoking a cigarette i may barf.
    regardless of their personal situation. we (as taxpayers) should not have to support drug habits of those less fortunate
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavenRaven View Post
    Oh, very touchy and opinion based subject here. Hmmmm... I will list some facts of my own personal experiences:

As many of you know, I provide emergency baby essentials to families in need that have nowhere else to turn for help. On many occasions, I have provided for working families who are not on welfare when they experienced a devastating life or financial crisis, were between paychecks or just couldn't make ends meet that month. On many occasions, I have provided for families on welfare because the food banks are out of formula/diapers and they just don't get have enough money left to buy these items for their children.

I have gone to drop off items to both working and welfare families and had parents answer the door smoking cigarettes, drinking beer or wearing fancy brand name clothing. I have also met many working families and welfare families that have quit smoking/drinking etc. in order to make their budgets work.

Of all the families I meet, I can't really sat that welfare families smoke/drink/do drugs anymore then working families do. The bottom line for me is that the children get what they need, regardless of what the parents do with their money.
    Bless you for the work you do. It's people like you who truly make the difference. Is this your job or..?

Either way I respect it. When DD was born in 2010 DH worked in the summer (is a grad student at Mac so works very sporadically during the year) part time at Williams and took temp work when they had it available and I was having a lot of trouble breastfeeding so contacted our local Catholic church for help. They sent out someone a few days later with some sample cans of expired formula saying 'its expired but it should be ok'..... I was speechless. I knew the guy was just a volunteer so may not have understood the seriousness of expired formula (I wouldn't even eat expired food let alone give my baby expired food!). I thanked him but was fuming inside. I threw it out but will never forget how one of the richest organizations in the world could not have the decency or respect to offer a baby in need proper care.

I try hard to help people when I can and there are so many organizations and individuals like yourself who make such a positive difference in the lives of others.

I believe you and others like you who actually SEE it and work surrounded by it are much more educated about what goes on just through experience and seeing it first hand.
    jessep13, ssbean, Judyhill and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    Please show where I said that people on assistance should "be able to spend this money on needless crap like alcohol and cigarettes" ....

It's the judgemental and ignorant attitude unwilling to help but so quick to offer their two cents.
    DianneS likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

very touchy subject indeed....Although growing up we were poor my mom told me we never went on welfare (I asked her not long ago cuz I always wondered), she worked hard and yes we received food boxes around Christmas and lived in geared income places or cheap. I am now a hard working adult who has 2 jobs in order to afford what I want (F/T job no raise in 3yrs and cost of everything keep going up).

I have known people who abuse the system and those who needed it for a short time. I really think our government should use a debit card system so the money goes to the right essential things, rent should be between the system and your landlord so at least your rent is paid every month. You should be drug tested for illegal substances in order to receive welfare money if not you don't get it. People have too many excuses for not getting a job. There are jobs out there you just have to look for them. If you can't work you should be on disability....welfare and disability are two different things

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

We had this topic awhile back and nothing good came out of it. The question is who's gonna make it blow-up in flames ...lol!!!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information