User Tag List

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree1273Likes

Thread: So Disappointed

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    Yes...I read every one of your posts in this thread. While we have all probably have things we have "just said no" to in our lives, I am willing to bet that they absolutely pale in comparison to a serious long-term drug addiction, especially if it's the result of a horribly abusive, dysfunctional childhood that didn't equip you to cope with life.
    You know what, every person in this entire thread has been respectful to one another despite having a difference of opinion.<removed comment> attacking me and thinking you have the right to judge what I have been through. thus "a serious drug addiction" compared to "a chocolate cake addiction". I said a few pages back I had a serious coke problem, and you come here saying "you don't know what its like". Its clear from this post and many others, you dont like me..... well guess what, I dont like you either. This is suppose to be a friendly forum, and as I said, It was till you came along. In the future, refrain from replying to anything I say on here, I dont want to hear it. There is no need for you to communicate with me on here at all, it will save peace for me and save everyone else here from having to see you bicker and try to start something.
    Last edited by Jezebel; Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: removed partial comment..play nice please
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Very interesting opinions from everyone. Just goes to show you that your own life experiences play a big role in how you judge others. I have seen both abuse of and great need for the welfare system. I will leave it at that.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It's very upsetting to me when people say there are always jobs, just people who don't want to work.

I went to college and am a certified IT technician.
    I've been unemployed since I finished school over a year ago now.

I'm considered inexperience and don't have enough education for IT positions (entry level positions are few and far between in my area, and the opportunities that do exist are for current students).
    I'm considered too experienced and educated for working at places like Tim Hortons and McDonalds (some people have suggested that it's also because given my education and age I'm less likely to stay in a minimum wage job, and therefore a less hireable candidate). I removed my college education from my resume and was considered inexperienced for working at minimum wage jobs.

I've taken classes to improve my resume, interview skills, hunt for jobs, and basic things like working a cash register (my last job involved a register but cash handling only). I volunteer to try and gain experience.

I'm not on welfare. I doubt I'd even qualify for it because of my student loans. Thankfully I have a family that is willing to support me, and I'm moving back in with to keep my costs down and pay back my debts. If I moved to Toronto, I could probably find a job, but I can't afford to live there.

So don't say it's because I don't want to work. It's incredibly depressing to go to interview after interview, be told that you were great and personable, but there is someone else who is just more qualified. It's stressful to wonder how I'm going to pay my rent, home insurance (that I have to have for my apartment), bus pass, OSAP loans, student bank loan, telephone, internet, and buy groceries (I generally only have $100 a month for food, toiletries, incidentals). I'm incredibly lucky I have people to turn to.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    You know what, every person in this entire thread has been respectful to one another despite having a difference of opinion. You came in here XXXX attacking me and thinking you have the right to judge what I have been through. thus "a serious drug addiction" compared to "a chocolate cake addiction". I said a few pages back I had a serious coke problem, and you come here saying "you don't know what its like". Its clear from this post and many others, you dont like me..... well guess what, I dont like you either. This is suppose to be a friendly forum, and as I said, It was till you came along. In the future, refrain from replying to anything I say on here, I dont want to hear it. There is no need for you to communicate with me on here at all, it will save peace for me and save everyone else here from having to see you bicker and try to start something.
    I read and re-read your post saw "cake"....until you pointed out my now obvious error. I sincerely apologize. I don't think it would be wise for me say anything more than I apologize.
    Last edited by Jezebel; Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: edited quote
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I've had my share of addictions, from food, to cigarettes to coke..... even though none of them were good for me.... if I wanted to do it I would...... once I really decided I WANTED to quit... I walked away from them all.
    Cocaine or coca cola ? Two very different monsters to using as a comparison.... nowadays anyway

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    It's very upsetting to me when people say there are always jobs, just people who don't want to work.

I went to college and am a certified IT technician.
    I've been unemployed since I finished school over a year ago now.

I'm considered inexperience and don't have enough education for IT positions (entry level positions are few and far between in my area, and the opportunities that do exist are for current students).
    I'm considered too experienced and educated for working at places like Tim Hortons and McDonalds (some people have suggested that it's also because given my education and age I'm less likely to stay in a minimum wage job, and therefore a less hireable candidate). I removed my college education from my resume and was considered inexperienced for working at minimum wage jobs.

I've taken classes to improve my resume, interview skills, hunt for jobs, and basic things like working a cash register (my last job involved a register but cash handling only). I volunteer to try and gain experience.

I'm not on welfare. I doubt I'd even qualify for it because of my student loans. Thankfully I have a family that is willing to support me, and I'm moving back in with to keep my costs down and pay back my debts. If I moved to Toronto, I could probably find a job, but I can't afford to live there.

So don't say it's because I don't want to work. It's incredibly depressing to go to interview after interview, be told that you were great and personable, but there is someone else who is just more qualified. It's stressful to wonder how I'm going to pay my rent, home insurance (that I have to have for my apartment), bus pass, OSAP loans, student bank loan, telephone, internet, and buy groceries (I generally only have $100 a month for food, toiletries, incidentals). I'm incredibly lucky I have people to turn to.
    Sorry to hear your struggling, I hope things start to look up for you. My brother has been a micro computer programmer ( by degree, not employment ) for 10 years and has only had jobs here and there in that field. When there is no work in programming, he goes away to work on oil rigs. Its not ideal, but its good money that provides for his wife and kids.
    glenglen and angel_2011 like this.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Do you read before make assumptions?? Obviously you dont!!!
    <removed the posters cleared their issue up> You have constantly made Straw-men based on a small, personal, biased study and either declined or refused to back up your views with an independant study.
    Last edited by FallenPixels; Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:49 AM.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    I read and re-read your post saw "cake"....until you pointed out my now obvious error. I sincerely apologize. I don't think it would be wise for me say anything more than I apologize.
    Thank you for your apology.
    angel_2011 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bren3 View Post
    This is actually my very first post although I have been on this site for awhile. Your thread really hit home for me because all I can think about lately is finances. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer and will be off work for who knows how long. First a mastectomy and then chemo and radiation. I will receive 60% of my pay which is better than nothing and I am very grateful but I can barely pay all my bills now. I am a single mom with 3 kids, a house, car and dog. Like others have said I am already thinking of ways to cut back and have already decided to cancel my house phone and the tv. If I did drugs , drank or smoked I would cut those out too but I don't do any of those things.
    So here I will be unable to pay for everything and unable to work and yet SOME people on welfare can just sit back and bring the money in. I believe if able they should be out working for their money..they should be accountable for what they buy.... Because it really sucks that i won't be able to afford my bills , yet my income will still be helping to pay for theirs.
    Life isn't fair though so I'm not sure why we think it should be.
    Prayers and thoughts are sent your way for a speedy and healthy recovery.
    angel_2011 likes this.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

I think this is the type of topic that everyone has really strong opinions on. Its not something that anyone is indifferent to. We all feel strongly against or for it, so its probably best to put this one to rest as its on page 8 of back and forth and round in circles and going nowhere.
    Last edited by JennyFromTheRock; Thu, Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

so...no independant studies...

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    so...no independant studies...
    I got one for you!

Pretty much all on welfare/statistics and the population on welfare. I didnt read much..too busy thinking about my ghost..LOL!!
    ssbean and angel_2011 like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

oops forgot the link..lol... see told you my ghost kept me busy.

http://www.canadiansocialresearch.ne...htm#statistics

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Sorry to hear your struggling, I hope things start to look up for you. My brother has been a micro computer programmer ( by degree, not employment ) for 10 years and has only had jobs here and there in that field. When there is no work in programming, he goes away to work on oil rigs. Its not ideal, but its good money that provides for his wife and kids.
    I've actually considered getting a programmer degree, as that is something a lot of the interview I went to mentioned wanting. But it's a 3-4 year program, and I can't take on that much more debt. I think a big thing that might hold me back is not having a driver's license. I can't afford insurance, and live in a city, so I let my permit expire. There have been a few good interviews, but they required me to be able to drive for on-site computer solutions. I was a telemarketer for a little bit, but I couldn't push for those sales (I really wanted to be good at my job, but every customer I pictured as a relative, and how I wouldn't want to convince them to buy a credit card they don't want or need).

I'd also like to add that I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I don't go out to clubs. Every couple of months I'll go to a movie on cheap night, if I've managed to save some money somewhere. I'm sad that I'm having to move back home (especially considering I'm in my twenties and am very independent), but it's a big relief to not have to stress quite as much about not only paying my own bills, but also about my parent's finances, as they are helping me pay my bills.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmel View Post
    oops forgot the link..lol... see told you my ghost kept me busy.

http://www.canadiansocialresearch.ne...htm#statistics
    Thanks I'll read it tomorrow as it's over many pages long.. nad carries this as a disclaimer
    Canadian Social Research Links is a one-person show. I don't have a crystal ball, nor am I inclined to pore through stacks of Royal Gazettes and Statutes in order to keep the legislative links on this site up to date. If you appreciate the collection of key welfare links in other jurisdictions, please consider reciprocating by checking the links below for your jurisdiction and notifying me if something needs to be added, deleted or updated. My email address [ [email protected] ] appears at the bottom of most pages of this website.
    On behalf of other Canadian Social Research Links visitors: Thanks!
    Kalmel likes this.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information