User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: NYC Bans Large Sugary Drinks

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...ks-sugary.html

How many years until tasty sauces are banned? Arby's fries? Jolly Ranchers?

But they won't ban men from wearing pants at the knees nor women who wear too much makeup.

NYC used to be fun. Now it is where you go when you want feel violated.
    This thread is currently associated with: Arby's
    Natalka and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

LOL, I can't believe that actually went through.

What it actually does is punish people because now they have to pay more money to get the same amount!

Oh, it says 'most convenience stores' - wonder if the Big Gulp will still be allowed?
    scbpooh and DaveP like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have followed this somewhat from the time the Mayor announced it. I am very glad it passed. It probably won't solve much as people /eat/drink whatever and how much they choose, but at least it heightens the awareness, hopefully inspiring some to resist overindulging.
    No secret that high calorie fast food, coupled with the sugary drinks has caused such obesity that the health care system will never accommodate the masses, and pleading with the public to eat/drink in moderation has not worked, so they chose to enforce this because people are out of control.
    anisa, Patty Smyth and Shwa Girl like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

WOB, I just don't understand why they started with drinks, that's all.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Nutrition and gymnastics in school is the place to start. I was in my last year in school during the craze when forcing kids to participate in PE and playing team sports that kept score was considered politically incorrect. And the nutrition part of eduction was written in 40's before most of this modern food was main stream.

If school was that bad in the 90's, I am sure it only got worse since.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

You can't control the cafeteria's in school because they are "owned" by big food companies who put their crap in there. I applaud him although he is taking a lot of crap for it. They did the same when he banned smoking in certain areas. Judging by the size of people obviously they can't control them selves. At least he is trying to do something.

They had pizza sauce classified as a vegetable in the states so they companies could still sell them the frozen pizzas. Look at the all the crap that Michelle Obama got into for taking on the cause of obesity and nutrition. You would have thought she was trying to take their guns away or something .

Those people don't want to be told to do anything especially if it's the governments idea.

They will all die of heart disease anyways. Let them do what they want.
    anisa, lekate, xox2010 and 1 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Look at all the problems Jamie Oliver had trying to change the food in cafeteria's in Britain. They nearly hung him
    anisa, xox2010, walkonby and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Patty, he also went into the US and was trying to change the cafeteria food there, and got into lots of snarls about it.
    I couldn't believe what they considered 'good food' to feed those kids, once he exposed stuff.

It was a great series to watch - Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.

It was through him showing it on that show which got MickeyD's to stop using pink slime.
    Patty Smyth and xox2010 like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

This is beyond ridiculous! This will not stop someone who wants to drink 100000 oz of pop a day. How about they focus on more important issues other then should the citizens of NY be able to drink 24oz of pop at a movie theater!
    What if your sharing with someone?
    I don't think anyone has the right to tell me hey..you cant have that XXL pop - one should be able to know what is and isn't good for themselves.

What about Tim Horton's and there 24 oz XXL? Are they going to put a stop to people who drink more then 2 sugars in there coffee??
    scbpooh, Natalka and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Refills!!! Get a small an refill it 6 times, I'm sure people will be doing that!
    DaveP and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

According to my friend in NYC who read my twit, they also banned salt and a certain kind of ingredient (I cannot remember) that makes fried food taste good.

It should be pointed out that pot and hookers are currently banned and last time I was there it was obvious those bans failed.
    DaveP and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

big sugary drinks are a way to down a lot of calories really fast. sometimes ppl don't really realize how much they are ingesting all at once.

i hope this includes those huge juices that are supposedly better for you because they make it right in front of you... to throw out the majority of the mass of the fruit and just drink the sugary water of the fruit isn't healthy at all. sugar is sugar, and too much is bad for you.

i know ppl get all riled up but there is far too much gluttony abound. if ppl are too tempted and have a hard time resisting, they just give in. the powers that be are to blame for being bought out by the major processed food producers. it is just too hard to actually find whole food and healthy options out there.

banning the bigger offendors is great, and i am glad they have done this. it's not the whole answer, but it is a start.
    ninna and Shwa Girl like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    big sugary drinks are a way to down a lot of calories really fast. sometimes ppl don't really realize how much they are ingesting all at once.

i hope this includes those huge juices that are supposedly better for you because they make it right in front of you... to throw out the majority of the mass of the fruit and just drink the sugary water of the fruit isn't healthy at all. sugar is sugar, and too much is bad for you.

i know ppl get all riled up but there is far too much gluttony abound. if ppl are too tempted and have a hard time resisting, they just give in. the powers that be are to blame for being bought out by the major processed food producers. it is just too hard to actually find whole food and healthy options out there.

banning the bigger offendors is great, and i am glad they have done this. it's not the whole answer, but it is a start.
    Agreed! Other than produce and price matching to get the best deal, if you need specialty items for an allergy or sensitivity be prepared to pay extra for many of them IF you find them.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    According to my friend in NYC who read my twit, they also banned salt and a certain kind of ingredient (I cannot remember) that makes fried food taste good.

It should be pointed out that pot and hookers are currently banned and last time I was there it was obvious those bans failed.
    Yup. Trans fat. The stuff that eventually results in a heart attack.
    ninna, walkonby and alicia like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Nutrition and gymnastics in school is the place to start. I was in my last year in school during the craze when forcing kids to participate in PE and playing team sports that kept score was considered politically incorrect. And the nutrition part of eduction was written in 40's before most of this modern food was main stream.

If school was that bad in the 90's, I am sure it only got worse since.
    Anybody remember ParticipACTION. (Ontario)
    Promoting physical fitness.
    What ever happened to that?
    Patty Smyth, ninna and walkonby like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information