• 1 Post By nessa23
  • 1 Post By electric_viking
  • 1 Post By Midnightly
  • 1 Post By CrazyQT
  • 1 Post By MostarkaGirl

Thread: Expired food on the shelf at safeway

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

was in safeway monday to use up my FPC for twistos that has been been sitting in my binder for months, to find the product on the shelf all 3 flavors expired.. all bags expired (dates ranging from end of aug to first week of sept) i pulled a few bags took them to customer service and told the lady that they were expired and ALL the bags of them on the shelf were expired, i go in today.. notice the shelf is fully stocked with them.. and guess what.. it's all expired! i mean really! a customer brings it to their attention they have expired product on the shelf and they do NOTHING about it
    This thread is currently associated with: Safeway, Guess
    BC Gal likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Which location?

The only thing I can think of is that it was the end of that person shift and he or she didn't remember to pass on the message.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

My suggestion, having worked at Safeway, would be to call the manager ASAP. It sounds like the general clerks at night aren't doing their jobs. That is unacceptable. You could also call the district head or head office if the problem doesn't get solved.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

wow! that's pretty sad. I am trying to get in the habit of checking the expiry dates on EVERYTHING I buy.
    Sad, but that's what we have to do. I feel like some retail employees don't care too much.

I bought a taco kit with my FPC yesterday, brought it home and opened it right away (because of the beef coupon) and the shells were crushed! pretty dissapointing that now i have to go BACK to return the damn thing!! argg!
    Last edited by nessa23; Sun, Sep 16th, 2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: edited statement
    BC Gal likes this.
    Getting back into trading - see my Trade and Wish Lists (under 'About Me' tab)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'd be shopping elsewhere
    krysta lynne likes this.
    I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

thankfully they were pulled when i went in today to get some safeway 1-day sales.. but it took me posting a message on facebook yesterday (i find they are quick to reply to facebook messages thankfully), it was safeway tillicum in victoria.. i`ve been having a bit of an issue with the twistos took me forever to locate them on a store shelf now two stores i`ve checked have none
    momof3heathens likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I'm a expiration checker as well. Finding expired products definitely happens. As well I try to steer clear of foods that are close to expiring whenever possible.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nessa23 View Post
    Retail employees don't seem to care too much.
    I take offense to this statement. We DO care. WE care far more then we get recognized for. I wish people could understand how things in retail work. We try to make sure that all products are rotated and checked for expired products or close to expiring but we are human and sometimes things get missed. It's incredibly hard to meet the demands of a retail job give the hours we are allotted to do so. Pair that up with the demands of customers who generally (but not always) are needing something checked in the back or help with this and that. Retail workers do far more than just walk around with their hands in their pockets. We answer phones, we assist customers with their shopping. We fetch buggies from the other side of the parking lot because customers are too lazy to walk it back to the store. We clean up vomit from some sick little one that couldn't help it. We open the customer washroom for them. We pick up returns that customers are too lazy to put back in their proper spot after deciding they don't want it. We do price checks. We issue rain checks. We do far more than the general public gives us credit for.

I realize I may sound bitter. That's because I am! I can not stand when people assume retail workers don't care. Walk a day in our shoes and then make that statement.
    jkcouponer likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

i find this is common.. expired food on shelves lol
    its happened to me at No frills. i contacted the head office.. all they said was
    give us the store location and we will let them know your complaint...
    what?!! shudnt they say thank for bringing it to our attention.. we will speak to the
    manager at the store and make sure it doesnt happen again? well anyways
    always check... cuz till this day i find things that are expired... a day or two but that
    makes a diff for foods like fresh baked goods .... croissants... baguettes....even Oasis
    shelf juice it was ONE YEAR expired... i cudnt believe it!
    Anyways bottom line...... always check and be safe for yourself

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I am a checker too!! I have been to the store I work at and found a whole shelf of expired yop yogurt (which drives me insane by the way) but in defense of some (not all) stores a lot of times certain products are taken care of by a rep, for example where I work the boys do not stock any of the name brand pop or chips they face the shelf at the end of the night, but it is the coke or Pepsi or ruffles or whatever reps that take care of stocking and removing their own products so in the case of the twistos the Pepsi rep may be the one in care of them so it might have been brought to the managers attention but they may have just put it off until the rep got there ...

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

as a person who worked retail at zellers and no frills for years (although it was over 15 years ago) I didnt care! for 7.50-8.25 per hour why would i care? The screaming I would receive over stock not being in when sales where on and explaining why no frills doesnt give rain checks. The abuse over, if I gave the correct change because the customer lost a quarter was total BS! Or from the store managers or other workers! Never again will I ever work in a retail setting.

Now services are different I find more customers are appreciative and care about the person providing the work.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    I take offense to this statement. We DO care. WE care far more then we get recognized for. I wish people could understand how things in retail work. We try to make sure that all products are rotated and checked for expired products or close to expiring but we are human and sometimes things get missed. It's incredibly hard to meet the demands of a retail job give the hours we are allotted to do so. Pair that up with the demands of customers who generally (but not always) are needing something checked in the back or help with this and that. Retail workers do far more than just walk around with their hands in their pockets. We answer phones, we assist customers with their shopping. We fetch buggies from the other side of the parking lot because customers are too lazy to walk it back to the store. We clean up vomit from some sick little one that couldn't help it. We open the customer washroom for them. We pick up returns that customers are too lazy to put back in their proper spot after deciding they don't want it. We do price checks. We issue rain checks. We do far more than the general public gives us credit for.

I realize I may sound bitter. That's because I am! I can not stand when people assume retail workers don't care. Walk a day in our shoes and then make that statement.
    Sorry, Didn't mean to offend. I have worked retail. Did for quite a few years. I didn't mean to generalize either... just seems SOME employees care less than others. There are obviously some hard retail-workers... otherwise the stores certainly wouldn't run smoothly.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Oh you want me to walk a day in your shoe to make this statement, well than I am qualified. Sorry that maybe you do more than the rest of the population, but thats what you get. No recognition for good things you do because there is far more lazy people working retail than good ones. Thats why there is no recognition. Its pretty sad to walk in the store and have line up to the boonies and 10 cash registers but only 2 open. Thats not good customer service. I see 2 cashiers working but where are supervisors and managers? Good leader would jump in to help in time of need. Anything can wait and help out front desk. So, when I worked in retail I used to get absolutely pissed off that we had 2 cashiers open and line ups so huge and people complaining about it. There was nothing I could've done. But you can hear from the office those supervisors laughing so hard about what they did over the weekend or whatever they were talking about!! Not great leaders. So, I am bitter too that it seems nothing has changed and good people that work retail will not get recognition any time soon ... and I think more people realizes this and thats why there is so many lazy people because in their mind it doesnt pay to be good. There is no personal touch anymore, people come and do their jobs and go home at night and collect pay check. No one cares and we have to live with that fact. I had to wait one day in a store 30 minutes for someone to come and help me and I saw people twiddling their tumbs while I stood and waited for someone and they saw me oh and I asked for help... nothing! So, being the one who walked in your shoes and as a consumer I am pretty pissed off that this is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post

Last edited by MostarkaGirl; Sun, Sep 16th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
    The Kawarthan likes this.

Follow my Beauty Blog on instagram @officialbestofglam
    or on facebook @bestofglam

I write reviews on all new and upcoming beauty products
    Sephora is my grand love

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Unfortunately this seems to happen quite often I think. I bought a box of popcorn at RCSS a couple of weeks ago....got it home, and saw that it had expired in FEBRUARY!!!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Speckled28 View Post
    Unfortunately this seems to happen quite often I think. I bought a box of popcorn at RCSS a couple of weeks ago....got it home, and saw that it had expired in FEBRUARY!!!!
    ew......

i guess the lessen learned here is - check EVERYTHING! lol

Thread Information