User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: teeth cleaning for dogs

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Has anyone ever paid their vet to anesthetize their pooch to do the dental cleaning equivalent to us owner's going to the hygenist?

I ask because both my shih tzu's have terrible tarter to the point of it now has damaged their gums and their health. The one guy Murphy never chews anything! He woofs back any food as fast as he can with as little biting as possible. He never chews toy rubber bones no matter how many we have bought to encourage him. I have never been able to brush their teeth ever! ( they fought, squirmed and bit me from the first time I tried)

Rufus is better, he eats delicately almost like he chooses which morsel of dried food he wants. Takes him so much longer to eat his meal, and if he walks away piggy boy Murphy swoops in and polishes off the rest, so many growling matches take place with Rufus sleeping next to his dish! lol Rufus has also constantly chewed rubber bones. As a puppy he preferred my good shoes, but that is history now.
    I had their teeth both done yesterday, and boy do they look amazing and clean! I bought Hills Science Diet ( Dental Oral care )dry food about 1 week before to see if they would eat it and they both love it, so that should help as they do seem to have to bite down on each piece to eat it, even Murphy!

Just curious if any other pet owner's have had this done?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Never had it done, but we just came from the vet yesterday. I was happy to hear that he thinks her teeth look great and very clean, and asked what I feed her. Dry food and milkbone cookies, along with gravy flavored ice cubes, so lots of crunching going on.
    He said that would do a good job at curbing any tartar.
    She loves the gravy cubes. They are very watered down with just a hint of gravy color, but im sure she can taste it, and I assume there would be a lot less calories than a milkbone.
    walkonby and ticul like this.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Yes, I have done the same thing with one of my other dog. We had him with bad teeth and i had try everything. If it ever happen again it will be, up to de vet. we go. I was very impress and like you his teeth were amazing, plus they had to take 4 teeths out (poor thing).............................
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh thanks guys for the input, I was just beside myself trying to commit to the procedure because of the cost, but the end result was good, so I hope now I can encourage more chewing from Murphy, even bought another batch of Kong cookies for his bone to try again.
    Snow In Summer likes this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Harley has had it done twice. He's 7 years old and we have had him since 8 weeks old. He only eats dry kibble (never the wet stuff), he's NOT a chewer and never has been. I do try to stay on top of brushing but my vet said some dogs are just prone to it like some people have dental issues while others don't.

Like I said I try to stay on top of it especially after a cleaning(SUPER $$$$$). Ideally I'd brush them once a day but if I can do 3X per week I'm happy with that. I only do short sessions and do it when he's clam and tired like after a long walk so he doesn't fight it.

Don't worry..... You are not alone

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

thanks harbie. Rufus is 9 and this is his first time to get it done, Murphy is 7 1/2 and this is the second time for him. I also spoke to a co worker and she too has this done on her dogs, so now I feel much better ( for them and me too, lol)

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Yes walkonby!

Us too for one of our feline angels that was 19 and they wanted to put "OSCAR" to sleep to do it and we left him and eerything and she discovered that he had I forget the term, that was a few years ago but his little heart could fail if she did it. The age too, not chewing as much, lots of treats.. I'm glad everything turned out well for your angels and happy smiles and healthy gums. I don't know if pet insurance covers this if they recommend doing this on a regular basis? It is expenxive that is for sure.
    walkonby and Snow In Summer like this.

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Well as you know my little rescue dog Ringo had to be put to sleep to have 10 teeth removed 3 years ago from a neglected ex owner. It was so bad he had skin abscesses below his eyes from the back molars being so infected. At the same he went in for emergency dental surgery they cleaned all of his teeth. Since then I have been brushing them every second night but my vet also gave me a tube of Biotine gel which prevents gum disease and removes the tater too. Its not cheap at 19.99 for a large tube but works just as well as brushing everyday and cheaper then having dental surgery and 10 teeth pulled!!! His teeth are amazing 3 years later and I still swear by this stuff now. You can't buy it off the shelf only at the vets. All you do is squeeze 1/2 inch on your index finger and rub his teeth and gums with it. Very easy ...
    walkonby and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Poor Ringo!! Makes you wonder how such a cutie could have be abused/neglected by someone before you?? Agh!!!!
    Snow In Summer and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I so hear you! I can't understand it either as he's just the sweetest little thing on earth and doesn't even bark. He's in a very loving home now and that's all that counts.
    walkonby and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Hey Snow, my neighbour 2 doors over has the teeiest little Yorkshire terrier ( I think that is what it is) and by gosh that thing never stops yapping, in the back yard when I sit out, in the front yard whenever I am there. BUT, I cannot get mad because when I hear her bark I get that visual of her size and just start laughing, also I have to talk my 2 dogs down, as they start barking when they hear her. I say " guys, guys, she is so freaking small, you would die if you saw her! "
    Snow In Summer and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

You're too cute!! I can just see you!! I think they have to yap otherwise people would forget they are there! I wouldn't because that little treasure would aways be in my arms or in a babypack in the front of me . Too cute...

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Hey Snow, my neighbour 2 doors over has the teeiest little Yorkshire terrier ( I think that is what it is) and by gosh that thing never stops yapping, in the back yard when I sit out, in the front yard whenever I am there. BUT, I cannot get mad because when I hear her bark I get that visual of her size and just start laughing, also I have to talk my 2 dogs down, as they start barking when they hear her. I say " guys, guys, she is so freaking small, you would die if you saw her! "
    walkonby and Snow In Summer like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Poor little Ringo!! I agree with walkonby! GRRRR!!

Poor Ringo!! Makes you wonder how such a cutie could have be abused/neglected by someone before you?? Agh!!!!
    Snow In Summer likes this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Ringo is a miniature Yorkie and they are all known as yappers! That's why when I got him I was in shock that he doesn't bark. If fact some times he tries when the door bell rings but then he just starts coughing. LOL

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarandme View Post
    You're too cute!! I can just see you!! I think they have to yap otherwise people would forget they are there! I wouldn't because that little treasure would aways be in my arms or in a babypack in the front of me . Too cute...
    OK I admit ... I do have a front pack and a car booster seat for him. He also has jackets, sweaters and a snowsuit complete with leather boots. lol Oh and the best one is he also has an official Sens hockey Jersey too!!! LOL But hey I don't have kids ... so I'm allowed. haha
    walkonby likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information