• 2 Post By kidsteph
  • 1 Post By coupondude2012
  • 1 Post By kitkong
  • 1 Post By kidsteph

Thread: Got 20X points on insulin today

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I read that some folks were not getting points on insulin (off prescription). I did my quarterly purchase today and got the 20X points. yipeee.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ancarett and FrugalKris like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm glad you got your points on the insulin, it will definitely help out with groceries or whatever, I couldn't even imagine paying for medicine that expensive, but it is needed and part of life, so anything that can help out I'm sure is gladly appreciated !!!!
    kidsteph likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupondude2012 View Post
    I'm glad you got your points on the insulin, it will definitely help out with groceries or whatever, I couldn't even imagine paying for medicine that expensive, but it is needed and part of life, so anything that can help out I'm sure is gladly appreciated !!!!
    It is a very expensive disease - $4800 per year on insulin and test strips and $2400 per year on insulin pump supplies and $6200 every 5 years for the insulin pump. Plus it is a nuisance type of disease, checking and dealing with high and low sugars and wearing that annoying pump. But I am thankful my employer's health plan covers the supplies so I am not out of pocket by much. So the 1.5 million SDM points I get per year are really appreciated, because it sure is nice to have an upside to this lousy disease.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    88 (99%)

Quote Originally Posted by kidsteph View Post
    It is a very expensive disease - $4800 per year on insulin and test strips and $2400 per year on insulin pump supplies and $6200 every 5 years for the insulin pump. Plus it is a nuisance type of disease, checking and dealing with high and low sugars and wearing that annoying pump. But I am thankful my employer's health plan covers the supplies so I am not out of pocket by much. So the 1.5 million SDM points I get per year are really appreciated, because it sure is nice to have an upside to this lousy disease.
    Sorry I know it has been mentioned before but how do you get so many points on the insulin and supplies? I was recently put on insulin.
    Thanks
    hogama likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kitkong View Post
    Sorry I know it has been mentioned before but how do you get so many points on the insulin and supplies? I was recently put on insulin.
    Thanks
    I buy 10 units of insulin and 10, 100s of test strips per every 3 months = $1200 per quarter = $4800. Take that x 200 (20X10) = 960,000 points per year. I buy off prescription (OTC) and get points..and get a pharmacist receipt for my drug benefit co (to get reimbursed). Insulin is cheap but test strips are pricy, so it all depends on how much of each you are buying.

Sorry you are on insulin...I know the trials and tribulations you are facing, whether type 1 or type 2. Those lows are nasty....good luck with your trials!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

GOOD! I was worried about this from my last experience (they had to put 1000pts at a time) Going to give the 20x event on Wed a shot - hopefully I will get the points!! :D Thanks for the heads up!
    http://frugalkris.blogspot.ca
    Check it out for my couponing, freebies and money saving experiences!
    Twitter @FrugalKris

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So is over-the-counter the key? SDM has my benefits info, so I never get charged for anything. Would I need to have them disregard my benefits info, pay for the prescription, then submit the receipt?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by talula123 View Post
    So is over-the-counter the key? SDM has my benefits info, so I never get charged for anything. Would I need to have them disregard my benefits info, pay for the prescription, then submit the receipt?
    Yes, exactly. I use Great West Life and send them the hand written receipt that SDM provides to me ALONG with the prescription from my Dr. You may need a new prescription, keep a copy and send in the second time, third time if you anticipate any problems. Good luck!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalKris View Post
    GOOD! I was worried about this from my last experience (they had to put 1000pts at a time) Going to give the 20x event on Wed a shot - hopefully I will get the points!! :D Thanks for the heads up!
    Good Luck! The points won't be added until Sept 11.
    FrugalKris likes this.

Loves To Save SimplifiedMommyTips's Avatar
    Trading Score
    260 (100%)

I am a type 2 so far it diet and exercise controlled, however when I am expecting I do require insulin especially at night time. The last time I purchased my insulin I didn't pay for it as I have my insurance information with then and when I asked it I got get some points the pharmacist said no, that is also why I have my strips supplied from Metro, so if I requested to ignore my insurance information and just pay for it will get some points ??? Although I dont think I will be needing more insulin for the enxt three weeks, but maybe some strips as I do random check of my blood sugar.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    88 (99%)

Thanks all!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SimplifiedMommyTips View Post
    I am a type 2 so far it diet and exercise controlled, however when I am expecting I do require insulin especially at night time. The last time I purchased my insulin I didn't pay for it as I have my insurance information with then and when I asked it I got get some points the pharmacist said no, that is also why I have my strips supplied from Metro, so if I requested to ignore my insurance information and just pay for it will get some points ??? Although I dont think I will be needing more insulin for the enxt three weeks, but maybe some strips as I do random check of my blood sugar.
    You will get points for over the counter items. You ask for a hand written receipt from the pharmacist that you submit for your claim. You should provide the prescription too. It not be worth the effort to get Dr's paper prescriptions to submit. It works with my drug benefit company.

good luck

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Kidsteph: you're not paying for the pump yourself, are you? Isn't that now covered by OHIP? Or ADP, I guess (OHIP covers it for my son, but he's under 18).
    Last edited by talula123; Tue, Sep 11th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by talula123 View Post
    Kidsteph: you're not paying for the pump yourself, are you? Isn't that now covered by OHIP? Or ADP, I guess (OHIP covers it for my son, but he's under 18).
    Yes, it is covered by ADP.

Loves codes of all kinds hogama's Avatar
    Trading Score
    196 (100%)

I get whatever I need (Insulin, test strips, syringes (I'm SO old school!), lancets, etc) on 20x the points day... and have never had a problem. I do get a hand written receipt and submit it to Blue Cross for reimbursement.

Thread Information