User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Rant to Mcgunity gov't

Banned
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Well to lessthennat if you read my post i mentioned that i understand for parents who work but i don't see why he has to state that it is MANDATORY when Kindergarden isn't even MANDATORY,you could keep your child home that year and yes most do go to kindergarden and on the website it states that you may pull your child out part way through the day (what i've been doing),it was confusing at first unless you looked it up.

Then i did and found out it was mandatory for the curriculum to be full day so that half day kids will miss out on stuff if you are
    pulling them out' and you look kinda 'overprotective',singled out or something if you do.I simply meant that it should be optional for those who chose to raise their kids longer.

Sorry i had a child to raise her as long as possible...i do not mean any offense to you i am sure some people need the money. Personally i just gave up a few things i don't need to raise her as long as i can like buying electronics,fast food, i don't drive etc. but if i get stuff for gifts or have a little extra now and then,great! It's just a luxury not needed to me.

I do not need free babsyitting so why would i chose that? Why would i want someone else paying for my kids to be raised by other people?Lose-lose situation to me. No, thank you.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

From my standpoint I do not see any disadvantage from my end on FDK - children have an opportunity to learn more, be more social with peers their own age, and have a smoother transition for grade 1 once the time comes.
    Each person has their own opinion and that is fine, if you want to keep your child at home and it is allowed, then you should do so

and as for sick days, it can be changed - that is what collective bargaining is about, the public has a right to know and a right to an opinion as those are our tax dollars

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lessthannat View Post
    and as for sick days, it can be changed - that is what collective bargaining is about, the public has a right to know and a right to an opinion as those are our tax dollars
    Ah but it is not collective bargaining when one side is forced into something they don't agree with, with no right to protest. That is my problem with the mcginty government and our government in general. I may not agree with everything a union is fighting for but I do agree tht they have the right to fairly negotiate and the government stopping this is just plain wrong.

The media doesn't help, the most of what they report is that all strikes are about wages. So wrong.
    Last edited by SarahS83; Wed, Sep 26th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
    ninna, Granger and Miabee like this.
    Win Amazon Giftcards just by searching with Swagbucks! I've made over $700!!!

Ask me for more information on how

Tangerine Orange Key is 14221156S1

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS83 View Post
    Ah but it is not collective bargaining when one side is forced into something they don't agree with, with no right to protest. That is my problem with the mcginty government and our government in general. I may not agree with everything a union is fighting for but I do agree tht they have the right to fairly negotiate and the government stopping this is just plain wrong.

The media doesn't help, the most of what they report is that all strikes are about wages. So wrong.

I can agree with this, however government needs to see to it that those services regardless of how the negotiations are handled, are still available to the public - we are footing the bill and someone needs to be accountable for that, hence is why they have to introduce legislation. This hasn't happened with just this scenario, but also others like air canada and canada post. Media does not do a good job at outlining the actual issues, they are only out to make one side look like the bad guy or the other

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

The Canada Posts incident set a very dangerous precedent. Workers were not going on strike at that point and yet CP locked the workers out. They showed up everyday and were locked out. Lisa Raitt then stated the workers could not hold the country hostage (again they were locked out by CP NOT on strike) and mandated them back to work.

This meant they now had nothing to bargain with as the law was in place they could not strike and CP could impose whatever new rules they wanted. CP refuse to negotiate fairly stating they are losing money, all the while posting a profit and stating that the "strike" cost them millions. So which is it? They have no money or they make millions a week?

This is still in arbitration btw nearly 2 years after the contract expired. The most recent arbitrator having been fired due to being friends with Lisa Raitt on facebook (hmmm I wonder which side they would fall on)

So a government run company (CP) want to force their workers into an unfair contract, the workers resist and the government run company locks out the workers, then getting the government to force them back to work and appointing a government arbitrator to decide on the contract. Taking away any right of the employee. Seem fair?

Sorry for thread hi jacking, it's the damn government get my blood boiling lol
    Last edited by SarahS83; Wed, Sep 26th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
    ninna and Miabee like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think you're right. It's helpful for some people. But it shouldn't be mandatory for kids that young.
    I've never liked McGuinty. I'm glad people are starting to see him for who he is, but I really wish he had shown his true colours before the last election.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The Canada Posts incident set a very dangerous precedent. Workers were not going on strike at that point and yet CP locked the workers out. They showed up everyday and were locked out. Lisa Raitt then stated the workers could not hold the country hostage (again they were locked out by CP NOT on strike) and mandated them back to work.

This meant they now had nothing to bargain with as the law was in place they could not strike and CP could impose whatever new rules they wanted. CP refuse to negotiate fairly stating they are losing money, all the while posting a profit and stating that the "strike" cost them millions. So which is it? They have no money or they make millions a week?

This is still in arbitration btw nearly 2 years after the contract expired. The most recent arbitrator having been fired due to being friends with Lisa Raitt on facebook (hmmm I wonder which side they would fall on)

So a government run company (CP) want to force their workers into an unfair contract, the workers resist and the government run company locks out the workers, then getting the government to force them back to work and appointing a government arbitrator to decide on the contract. Taking away any right of the employee. Seem fair?

Sorry for thread hi jacking, it's the damn government get my blood boiling lol
    They should have been legislated back to work, they CANNOT hold a country hostage over their labour negotiations. PERIOD.
    If they don't like it maybe they should join the private sector and see how far they will get by walking into their bosses office, demanding a raise/more sick days/less working hours and then told to get out.

Difference of opinion. That's all. Maybe not the popular opinion but I am tired of being held hostage as a tax paying Canadian by these unions

Maybe we should be looking to privatize more services like they did with Toronto garbage collection.

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lessthannat View Post
    They should have been legislated back to work, they CANNOT hold a country hostage over their labour negotiations. PERIOD.
    If they don't like it maybe they should join the private sector and see how far they will get by walking into their bosses office, demanding a raise/more sick days/less working hours and then told to get out.

Difference of opinion. That's all. Maybe not the popular opinion but I am tired of being held hostage as a tax paying Canadian by these unions

Maybe we should be looking to privatize more services like they did with Toronto garbage collection.
    Couple of points. Canada post salary does not come from taxpayers. They also were not fighting for more they were instead fighting to keep what they had or something even close.

Finally the unions held no one hostage. Your own government locked out its employees forcing them into a contract with possible massive losses.
    ninna, Miabee and cnukluv like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Couple of points. Canada post salary does not come from taxpayers. They also were not fighting for more they were instead fighting to keep what they had or something even close.

Finally the unions held no one hostage. Your own government locked out its employees forcing them into a contract with possible massive losses.

Couple points, my statement is not directed only specifically to Canada Post. Canada post is a crown corporation - one of 49 federal crown corporations, crown corporations are a hybrid between a private enterprise and a government body - degrees of funding for each of these corporations vary depending their ability to be self sufficient, somehow I am sceptical of the fact that none of our tax dollars year after year go towards funding CP.

Canada Post locked out its employees after they began rolling strikes - finally after 12 days of rolling strikes CP decided that they could not operate at the level which they were subject to due to those strikes so they locked the workers out.

Massive loses? That strike was about modernization of current programs, as most OTHER businesses do
    Last edited by lessthannat; Wed, Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The many CP threads at the time were expired due to arguing, let's not do that to this thread
    Granger likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Perhaps it is helpful to note that we are ALL tax payers and we all care what happens to our money (or should). Has anyone read the book "If the world were a village?" Here is a Youtube video of something similar. It is one of those little reminders for me of how much we have in the Western world.

Until governments learn how to balance budgets (and even after) such arguments will ensue.
    Any more opinions on Ontario's FDK?

Miabee likes this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My daughter is in JK and in a school with the full-day kindergarten programs. I asked the teachers back last spring, when they had their orientation, if they found it hard on the young ones with such a full schedule. They told me that they were even surprised at how well the new JK children handled it. They also told me that if I found the full week too hard on my daughter I could cut back a day or two for a while or even for the year, so that's what I ended up doing. My daughter hasn't napped for a while now but the long week was still hard on her so I cut out her Wednesdays, for now. It may be because we're in a small town, where everyone knows each other, but I've found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating for my youngest' first year..., despite how much McGuinty has screwed things up.
    Granger and Miabee like this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

nice story erin. it's amazing how many people don't realize how much the teachers do and care for their students.
    most go above and beyond the call of duty but they are always shown in the media to be rabble rousers and having no thought for the kids.
    i think the media needs to spend a year shadowing a teacher and seeing what they do. (walk a mile in their shoes). the are a lot of bad teachers out there but the majority are amazing.
    ninna, erin9mmm and Miabee like this.
    I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

All governments in their own regards have faults; it depends on personal views and opinions. I think that the McGuinty government is mishandling the province at the moment though. For example, my school is one of the most disgusting buildings I have ever been in, and needed a renovation 15 years ago still. Programs have been cut for me; many courses I wanted to take aren't offered anymore, but in big city schools they are.

This teacher thing is also getting out of hand; the funniest thing to me is the whole "don't let the teachers strike" thing. In my living memory, I can't even begin to remember when the last time teachers striked in my area; certainly not in my lifetime. I think they're just turning up stones that don't need to be.
    Granger likes this.
    Total Savings: $652.98
    *Since the end of June*

Earn free money.....who doesn't love that?
    http://superpoints.com/wrpgs/9iyb7s

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by electric_viking View Post
    nice story erin. it's amazing how many people don't realize how much the teachers do and care for their students.
    most go above and beyond the call of duty but they are always shown in the media to be rabble rousers and having no thought for the kids.
    i think the media needs to spend a year shadowing a teacher and seeing what they do. (walk a mile in their shoes). the are a lot of bad teachers out there but the majority are amazing.
    Thanks .
    I think when you hear so much on the news it's easy to mix the teaching with the politics but I think most everyone will have a story of of their own of a teacher(s) who has gone above and beyond for them or someone in their family.
    electric_viking likes this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information