User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By roseofblack25
  • 1 Post By c_mcarthur
  • 1 Post By hopesdreams

Thread: If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no freaking luck at all!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

So I'm having a bad week of stress that no amount of junk food has cured

First off: Had an exam last night. Left my place a half hour early to get there a half hour earlier than needed so I could have a bit of quiet study time. Instead the subway train I was on decided to lose power at York Mills station (3 stations before I needed to get off and transfer to a bus to get to school...) We were all kicked off the train and told it was going to be awhile, so I went to the first TTC person I saw and asked how to get to school with buses since the train wasn't running and I had to get to an exam. He was VERY nice and told me exactly what to take to get there. I started to feel better except next problem no bus! Waited at least half an hour for the only bus that would take me remotely close to where I was going...I now have half an hour before my exam and I'm stuck in a place that I don't know and have never ventured to before with no real idea how else to get to school. Taking a taxi was out since it would have been ridiculously expensive and I don't exactly have the spare cash to be throwing away on cab fare. Finally they announce the train was back in service so I got back on, but I'm already late for my exam. I got there finally super late and super stressed and pissed that I leave early and end up very late anyway...Plus the stress of thinking I may never make it and not be allowed to make up an exam that is worth 50% of my final grade with a required mark of 65 or more to pass the course! Not sure I did as great as I could have on the exam since I wasn't allowed extra time to make it up so had to rush my way through and couldn't remember how to do a few of the questions because my stress levels were through the roof.

Second: Right after I finish my exam I check email quick before heading home. See an email from the person I am wanting to be roommates with and move into their place. Was excited that I was hopefully getting good news since they said they would email and let me know Thursday night when I could stop by to sign the lease and give first and last. Landlord has turned down my application and has already rented to someone else and failed to tell the person that wanted to stay that they were being kicked out at the end of their lease, so now there is the potential that I will be homeless in a month and a half because I haven't been able to find a place and sign a lease yet which is stressing me out like crazy! Toronto rentals go extremely fast and most of the nice places won't rent if they know you are a student. Of course I have to disclose that I'm a student otherwise I won't be able to explain why I work more than full time in the summer and part time in the winter....

Third: I'm stressing about the living situation since I have a full time job, part time job, and another semester left of in class courses to graduate and moving home for the summer is not an option. I am obsessively going through listings trying to find something in my price range close enough to work that I don't have to commute too far (my full time job requires me to be within a certain distance so I can be called in for work and arrive within a certain time frame), so that limits where I can live. I'm so wrapped up in this mess that it's hard for me to focus on anything else. Which is bad because this weekend I really need to be studying for the two exams I have to write next week because I can't afford failing since I depend on bursaries that are grade based and if you fail a course you have to pay that money back. Seriously I just feel like life is kicking me while I'm down at the moment.

I bought a lottery ticket...If I win the 55million or even a portion of it; I'm buying a place in cash and will rent out a bedroom to the what was supposed to be potential roommate that is dealing with the landlord from hell that rented out their place from underneath them and just informed them when they tried to put my name on the lease for the next term. It would at least eliminate the moving stress...The rest I can deal with...as long as there are no more transit delays while going to my exams this week or else I think I may have a nervous breakdown!

I swear I'm cursed to have bad luck forever! I keep telling everyone if it wasn't for bad luck I would have absolutely no luck at all the majority of the time...being an adult is definitely not as fun as what it looked like when I was a kid...
    This thread is currently associated with: Subway
    Last edited by roseofblack25; Fri, Apr 12th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    being an adult is definitely not as fun as what it looked like when I was a kid...
    I hear ya.
    Being an adult sucks.
    sorry your having so much bad luck, hope things turn up for ya
    gourmetsue likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Aww man...I feel for you; I'm 25, gunna be 26 in a few weeks and adult life seemed so fantastic when we were children but now that I am living it, it is NOT what I expected. I hope that you will have some GOOD luck and blessings coming your way - keep your head up - you WILL get through all of this

hopesdreams
    Trading Score
    235 (100%)

For sure you had a very difficult day!
    I am sending you a big hug for betters days ahead.
    Our daughter is balancing exams, working and living on her own.
    Some of her days are much harder than others.
    You are not alone trying to balance this journey.
    Try to treat yourself to a relaxing bath or funny movie.
    Wishing you a much better tomorrow.
    anisa likes this.
    Do onto others as you wish done to you.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/hopesdreams

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Move to Winnipeg! Distances are shorter, and you could probably find a house to rent with a couple of roommates within a short bus trip of one of the universities. The job market seems to be better here as well. Whenever I hear people talking about the struggles involved in living in Toronto, I'm glad I live here!

With all that was going on, I think a cab would have been worth it!

Hope things improve quickly! Do you graduate soon?

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Move to Winnipeg! Distances are shorter, and you could probably find a house to rent with a couple of roommates within a short bus trip of one of the universities. The job market seems to be better here as well. Whenever I hear people talking about the struggles involved in living in Toronto, I'm glad I live here!

With all that was going on, I think a cab would have been worth it!

Hope things improve quickly! Do you graduate soon?
    If all goes well and I pass the exams I have to write this coming week; I will be 3 courses short of graduating. So one more fall semester and then finished. Hopefully I can start saving money then...The problem with trying to find places to live here is they go so fast and landlords are way more willing to choose a working professional over someone that has school expenses on top of living expenses. It's a frustrating cycle of trying to find a place even if you have perfect credit and decent jobs it just never seems like enough unless you are some big shot CEO or someone making six figures or more they don't want to give you a chance. It's discouraging and depressing...I wish I could stay in the place I am in, but my roommate is moving out and the landlord has said if one goes we both go since both names are on the lease.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

You're really balancing a full load. I'm impressed even though you're going through a rough patch right now, I hope things look up soon. You're almost at the end so keep your chin up.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Name:  hugsfrommelovebear.gif
Views: 388
Size:  37.5 KB

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi There, I feel for you. I can see you're trying very hard.
    Please let me know what area you're looking for, how many bedrooms or if you're interested in a basement apartment and what you can pay for rent. I will help you. My name is Lily and you can email me at [email protected]. This is ligitimate...not a scam.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Sorry to hear you're going through this rose, hang in there. RE: housing: Have you already looked into subletting/leasing or is it out of the question? Does your school offer housing help and postings? You probably already considered these, just didn't see any posts just in case. RE: your exam: if you didn't do as well as you thought, I've known teachers instructors take into account real provable reasons for being late and make exceptions i.e. the subway lost power and shut down for a considerable time. You never know, always worth asking and explaining your case.

Thread Information