User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Thanksgiving dinner 2012 - what's on the menu?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Name:  autumn-table-de-38056705.gif
Views: 1925
Size:  109.4 KB

Usually we have the ham/turkey debate in our house, but this year I'm not giving a choice - we're having turkey!

I've been looking for recipes for weeks, just for ideas, but I always come back to 'just the usual' - plain, simple, and good!

Roasted turkey with stuffing, roasted garlic smashed potatoes, gravy, corn - then I'll have to decide on a few more sides. There's never room for dessert, but at some point we'll have pumpkin pie - and I have to find some other dessert for husband since he doesn't like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

If I am home I so far am planning on making potato dressing and pumpkin pie...No idea what else to make with it though since it's just me alone and I don't want to make turkey or anything large.
    Natalka likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Ours will be a meatless one but I will still make all the trimmings, mashed potatoes, stuffing , turnips carrots, veggie gravy. Pretty much everything but the meat. I usually don't make dessert but maybe this year will do some baked stuffed apples. Pumpkin muffins too.

Natalka and TudorChick like this.

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

we go to my in laws and i always bring green bean casserole and homemade cranberry sauce. this year my kids and i will be making a dessert (im thinking some kind of cute cake with some little turkey cutout things) possibly a homemade pumpkin pie. can't wait!
    Natalka and Patty Smyth like this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I'm hosting a Thanksgiving dinner (making it a tradition, lol) and will be making a turkey.
    There will probably be roasted root vegetables, greens (such as a salad or brussels sprouts or both), stuffing, garlic and herb mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce.
    Ack! There are so many variations when it comes to stuffing, mashed potatoes etc etc! I haven't narrowed it down yet.
    I might make a pasta salad, have a cheese plate too. Luckily, I have wonderful family members who also bring goodies or offer to make food to bring over!

I haven't figured out dessert- no one ever has room for it. lol Probably something seasonal and festive. Apple crumble/pie, pumpkin pie/cheesecake? Maple something?

Of course there will be vegan friendly side dishes and a un-turkey for my bf.
    Oh and vegan desserts.
    Natalka, Patty Smyth and frugal50 like this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

funny you posted this Natalka as I was sitting down to make my own menu for Thanksgiving.

I've been making Thanksgiving for my family for the past 5 yrs but think I'm going to switch up some things this year.

I'm making a turkey with stuffing, meatballs with gravy, ham, coleslaw, mashed potatoes, perogies, cabbage rolls (that my MIL made), glazed carrots, brussel sprouts, and buns. For dessert apple crisp, cherry pie & pumpkin pie.
    Natalka, Patty Smyth and janetta like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

no thanksgiving day dinner plans

probably eat what's left-over

or do take-out.
    Natalka and PurpleBunny89 like this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Same routine every year for us! Butterball turkey, stuffing from scratch, mashed taters, carrots, acorn squash, cranberries, fresh rolls and gravy.

Already got my turkey on sale previously, so the rest is fresh pickup just before the holiday

~~Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk~~
    Natalka and Patty Smyth like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The cabbage rolls, how could I have forgotten them on my list? Of course I'm making cabbage rolls!
    gracesmommy, ninna and bmpsmommy like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I always buy the stovetop stuffing and put it in the turkey (with some celeri). I'd really like to make my own. Anyone got an easy recipe?
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

No thanksgiving dinner this year unfortunately. My parents are in Europe and I am too busy to make a full fledged diner. Possibly postpone for when they get back from Europe.

The usual though is turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, turnip puff, peas, homemade bread, cranberry sauce and potato/bread stuffing (yuck - I very much dislike stuffing/dressing). Dessert has evolved - it used to be pies like apple, pumpkin and strawberry rhubarb, but now thanksgiving is not extended family (just parents, brother and fiancé) so we do one dessert like a cake or trifle.
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I always buy the stovetop stuffing and put it in the turkey (with some celeri). I'd really like to make my own. Anyone got an easy recipe?
    I don't stuff the turkey with mine I always make it in a caserole that way I can make way more lol.

Just the basic sage, savory, rosemary, garlic S&P, I saute some onions, mushrooms and celery and then pour in some turkey broth to it let it simmer a while then add it to the dried bread. If you want add butter or olive oil also. Bake at 325 for about an hour covered.
    Insane likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    Mine is very basic, but everyone gobbles it up and there are never any leftovers!

Bread (depends how big your turkey is - could be a loaf, could be more)
    1 finely chopped onion
    2 to 3 chopped celery stalks
    1 egg
    Water
    Poultry seasoning

I don't ever measure mine, I just tear bread, add water & poultry seasoning until it has the consistency & smell I'm looking for.

I also buy those one use stuffing bags which makes everything so much easier & not an ounce of stuffing is lost. Just picked one up today at Independent for $1.14
    Insane and gracesmommy like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I've been using stuffing bags for years! I think they are the best thing since sliced bread! No wasted stuffing.
    gracesmommy likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    No thanksgiving dinner this year unfortunately. My parents are in Europe and I am too busy to make a full fledged diner. Possibly postpone for when they get back from Europe.

The usual though is turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, turnip puff, peas, homemade bread, cranberry sauce and potato/bread stuffing (yuck - I very much dislike stuffing/dressing). Dessert has evolved - it used to be pies like apple, pumpkin and strawberry rhubarb, but now thanksgiving is not extended family (just parents, brother and fiancé) so we do one dessert like a cake or trifle.
    You do potato stuffing too??? AWESOME! I thought we were like the only ones in my family that ever made it...it's the German in my dad he won't eat bread dressing and either will I. I have to have potato or none!
    Tabby40 likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information