User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: False accusation at work. Rant + advice requested please

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

So here's the story:

I work at a child care centre and today I had to have a meeting with my manager bc I'm being written up. Apparently someone reported to her that last week while I was out on the playground with a co-worker, we were both seen using our cell phones at 2:55 pm and not adequately supervising the children. I was surprised because I never use my phone outside while I'm watching the children, so I immediately told my boss that and said to her that I would check my phone records for anything around that date and time.
    I suggested that it was possible that I was checking the time, and perhaps someone saw that and thought I was texting.

So I checked my phone history for both calls and texts and there is nothing at that time. I had used the phone to call inside to the manager at 2:48 to inquire about something work related and the call lasted 49 seconds. I had an incoming text at 3:02 which I responded to but I was on my break at that time so it couldn't have been witnessed by someone around the playground.

To make matters worse, the co-worker who was outside with me checked her records and she actually WAS texting someone (which I was not aware of) so she admitted it and took her write-up as punishment. But I wasn't and now I'm upset bc it looks pretty bad if this goes on my record for 3 years.

My boss won't tell me who brought this to her attention and they have no physical proof but apparently it is still enough to be written up and have a supervisory meeting over. I have the proof on my phone but they could always just say that I deleted specific messages once the issue was brought to my attention.

My boss added to the write up that I said I do not use my phone during work time and perhaps I was checking the clock. But still! I'm kinda pissed that I'm being accused of something I didn't do. I have a union and I'm thinking about bringing the matter to them and/or just requesting that the paper not go into my file as there is no proof but I don't want to be viewed by my managers as someone who runs to the union for things and makes the managers lives difficult.

I have been with this company for almost 6 years and I'd like to start applying for assistant supervisor positions when they come up and I don't want the union stuff to cast a negative light on me.

If you made it this far thanks so much for reading and please offer any advice you have for me.

Sincerely,

'Guilty until proven innocent'
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Curious what all the hype is about SWAGBUCKS? It's the b
    est online program ever! Send me a message if you have any questions or want to learn more.
    Join here:
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kylesmamma

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Do you get a detailed bill with a list of your calls? That might help. Also, would your wireless provider give out the usage details if you asked them? Just a few thoughts.
    matrix82 and Kyles_Mama like this.

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DH666 View Post
    Do you get a detailed bill with a list of your calls? That might help. Also, would your wireless provider give out the usage details if you asked them? Just a few thoughts.
    I get my bill through email and haven't actually ever investigated the details, but it's a possibility! If i had that then it would definitely be better proof than just showing my manager on my phone.

It really bothers me that you can be written up for something when there is no proof, just someone's word against yours and they won't even tell me who the 'someone' is.

It would either be a parent of a child who attends the school we're located in, or there's a chance it's a sneaky coworker as well. I have my suspicions that it could be someone I work with and now I feel uncomfortable around that person in the off chance that it was them and they're trying to sabotage me.

est online program ever! Send me a message if you have any questions or want to learn more.
    Join here:

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

This is why it is becoming recommended to wear a watch at work rather than use a phone...

However a detailed bill from you phone company should tell when and for how long you were using your phone.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

You can call your union to ask for advice without your employer knowing. I've done it to get advice and guidance. They only know if you file a grievance.
    Patty Smyth, jonesy and Kyles_Mama like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyles_Mama View Post

It would either be a parent of a child who attends the school we're located in, or there's a chance it's a sneaky coworker as well. I have my suspicions that it could be someone I work with and now I feel uncomfortable around that person in the off chance that it was them and they're trying to sabotage me.
    Oh..she's working with you now. i had one of those nicey/nasty cow-orkers in the past..

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

My SIL was fired from a daycare because she was texting on her phone while watching kids in the outdoor play area.

See if you can get an itemized list of calls from your cell provider so you can show that you weren't texting...if they won't consider the evidence, then talk to the union about what you should do. Your attempts to get into a supervisory position would be undermined by a writeup on file anyway.

Sometimes daycares aren't the most professional organizations in terms of the way staff members are treated. Have you considered working in a school as a teacher's aide?

Oh, and get a watch. As a high school teacher, I don't accept the "I was just checking the time" excuse from students, particularly since there's a clock on the wall and phones are supposed to be turned off and put away in class. If parents are watching daycare staff behaviour carefully, you don't want to do anything that could be misinterpreted.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    You can call your union to ask for advice without your employer knowing. I've done it to get advice and guidance. They only know if you file a grievance.
    I was a shop steward and we had soo many vows of silence on us that even in union meetings we weren't allowed to say who we were respresnting on what case for what reason. It was all person A about problem B and managers Fofff..
    Kyles_Mama likes this.

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I hadn't thought of that, thank you. I've never had to call the union steward for anything so I am clueless as to how the whole process works.

Join here:

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    My SIL was fired from a daycare because she was texting on her phone while watching kids in the outdoor play area.

See if you can get an itemized list of calls from your cell provider so you can show that you weren't texting...if they won't consider the evidence, then talk to the union about what you should do. Your attempts to get into a supervisory position would be undermined by a writeup on file anyway.

Sometimes daycares aren't the most professional organizations in terms of the way staff members are treated. Have you considered working in a school as a teacher's aide?

Oh, and get a watch. As a high school teacher, I don't accept the "I was just checking the time" excuse from students, particularly since there's a clock on the wall and phones are supposed to be turned off and put away in class. If parents are watching daycare staff behaviour carefully, you don't want to do anything that could be misinterpreted.
    Great advice, thank you. I will get a watch now, I never bothered bc I always have my cell phone outside for emergency purposes (we have walkie-talkies but they are crappy and you can't understand what the person on the other end is saying so no one ever uses them)

I never hesitated to check the time on my phone bc I figured it takes the same amount of time to look at the time on there as it does on a watch and I hate watches, they make my arm look extra chubby lol. But I also never considered that looking at my phone could be mistaken for texting so that's definitely a good reason to get a watch.

I applied to the school board to get into the full-day kindergarten program but I didn't even get called for an interview I have plenty of experience but I guess I wasn't what they're looking for.

Join here:

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

Call your service provider and ask for an itemized list of all calls and texts if this isn't already on your online bill. I'd be super upset too if I was being written up for something I didn't do.
    Kyles_Mama likes this.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

If you don't get a detailed bill every month with each call/text, call your provider and ask them to send you one for that month. They would charge you like $2 or something and then you'd have the proof you need
    Kyles_Mama likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Even if you don't usually have itemised billing, they can do a one time one for a fee. Get that and insist it is added.
    I do HR at work and suspiciously every time there is a promotion available, one employee starts 'ratting out' their coworkers. We have to investigate each one and often need to include it in the file bc we can't prove either way and if something happens we need proof but we note the possibility of a personal issue with the reporter.
    Kyles_Mama likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Sorry to hear this is happening, OP - there's lots of good advice in this thread already.

Get the itemized list (faxed to you immediately, if possible, or ask if they can do a printout in a store for whichever provider you have, then a formal one mailed to you), call the union rep, and fight it. I would suggest also documenting everything in writing (notes from your meeting w/your supervisor that you take for any upcoming meetings and jot down everything you remember from your initial meeting and the date of the alleged event). If they call you in to a meeting, they'll be taking notes; there's no reason you can't do the same.

If you don't like watches (I'm the same way, hate having something on my wrist), get one of those ones you can wear on a lanyard (like a gym coach).

I can empathize about not being able to face your accuser, for sure; you should be presumed innocent until proven guilty and if there's no proof at worst they should be giving you a notice that there was an allegation, not assuming you're in the wrong.

Having said that, I recently read an article about someone who was supposed to be watching the children in the pool (at a private home, she was a guest) and who was texting/on her smartphone for what she thought/claimed was 20 seconds - turned out it was over three minutes. A child drowned while she wasn't paying attention. Luckily the EMTs managed to get the kid revived, but I can't even begin to imagine how she - and the kid's parents - felt about her inattention.

You obviously take your responsibilities very seriously, but if I was a parent I know I would definitely have considered speaking to a supervisor too. Confronting people can be tricky; even if it is the shortest point from A to B, I'd worry my kid would be treated differently, etc., if I complained directly.

You've got the facts on your side and sound like you have an otherwise exemplary record - you should be able to get it cleared up in short order. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I'm missing something here.... i don't understand why it is okay to talk on the phone at 2:48 as long as it's work related but you can't talk if it isn't. If the reason for the rule is that you are not adequately watching the children, then what does it matter who or what you are talking about? I think they have a messed up rule!

And as far as the time thing goes... my guess is that the 2:48 call IS the 2:55 call. Peoples times are different and time lapses to make the complaint. SO.... if that is the case, and the company allows the call into the building on a work related issue.... then you haven't broken a rule.

I hope everything works out for you Op.
    abbasgirl, Kyles_Mama and Tabby40 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information