User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Why force kids to go out and beg?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I don't really see many people collecting money in front of stores or malls in my area. Maybe it's because I avoid malls as much as possible. On occasion I'll see a little table with people selling red ribbons, or daffodils or just asking for money for their cause, but it's usually older people selling these. I hope they're volunteers.

What I see most weekends are kids raising money at my local grocery store by bagging groceries, with a can or jar for people to drop some money into. This bugs me like crazy. Going to the grocery store is already troublesome enough with having to make sure I get my extra points for bringing my own bags, making sure everything scans at the right price, giving the coupons to the cashier at the right time so that she doesn't have to dig though my bags to check that the product i bought matches what the coupon is for, staying organized with my other flyers for price matching. Now I also have to keep an eye on these kids as they try to put my stuff if the bag to make sure they don't put my tomatoes and grapes at the bottom and heavy stuff on top. Or that they don't over-fill my bags ... I could barely lift one of them once. Or how about using the insulated bags for the cold stuff and the non-insulated bags for the non-perishables. These are things that I always thought would be obvious to everyone, but each week I just become more and more frustrated.

I also get annoyed when they don't say hello or even try to help, but just stand there, waiting for me to hand them my bags, or even worse, they are chatting among themselves ignoring the customers. Take some initiative, come ask me for my re-usable bags, give some eye contact, tell me what you're raising money for. Otherwise you're just standing there in the way and I could be bagging my own stuff.

Once I actually saw an adult (scout-leader or coach or something to do with the kids), telling the kids how to properly bag groceries. I was very impressed. He cared about the customers and wanted the kids to do a good job. wow

End rant.
    Last edited by super_e; Mon, Oct 8th, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Ciel likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I don't really like it when stores ask for donations. I know that the stores can raise a lot of money for a charity, but I find that the cashier doesn't really know much about the charity. I like to know about the charity before I'm going to choose to support it.

I usually determine at the beginning of the year what I'm going to donate to and how much. This usually includes a small fund for children's charities, such as girl guide cookies and chocolate bars that my nieces and nephews are selling. I figure that once the children fund is done then that's it for donating. I like to know that I've done my part for the community, but I also know how much I donated in total.

NovaScotianCouponer
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In my opinion, I don't mind supporting local charities/organizations but you shouldn't just hold out a jar or a box and say "Please donate to......." whatever charity. At least do something like sell tickets for a basket (get parents to donate items for the basket, if not, buy some things at the Dollarama), bake sales, car washes, craft/yard sales, 50/50 draws, etc. Stuff like that. That's what we used to do in high school to earn money for extra curricular activities, the IWK Children's Hospital and the World Food Programme. I know some people may not have the time for it, but at least do one thing or another to help out your town/city.

And although I said "You shouldn't just hold out a box and say "Please donate to....." whatever charity", I don't mind throwing a loonie or toonie in the Firefighter's boots outside of Walmart for Fire Prevention Week. My niece loves doing it because she gets a sticker or a tattoo from them afterwards
    Last edited by smalltowngirl; Thu, Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
    PammieD and torontogal12 like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This post hit nerve with me because ever since my oldest started school, I was floored at how many misc financial things are asked of parents to help out with at the schools. They have fundraising dances, class trips, pizza days, charity drives, bake sales, book sales, etc. You can easily blow an insane amount of money. What also surprised me after the school year started was how often the neighbourhood kids would come door to door to raise money for their schools as well. And I told every single one of them I'm really sorry but I already raise money for my own children's schools so I can't contribute right now to yours. This goes the same for sports and extra curricular activities. I'm sorry if that's selfish but we're not rich.

Every single time I get a fundraising notice from the school I cringe. I already volunteer constantly at the school for events, classes, projects etc. If I can't afford the finances to help I try to give my time instead. And if I have to pay (and this may not be a popular answer) I would rather pay one up front free to cover the costs of misc things that occur throughout the year, than feel have my kids go and solicit for money for ever single event. They should studying and learning and not going door to door to raise money their school. And like many posters have said, we rarely find out what the money is being spent on. What exactly are they fundraising for?
    PammieD likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

at the door of the WalMart there is a paper saying 'no sollicitation'.....i wonder to whom is this made for, as if there is a store we are often sollicitated , its WalMart...

at Maxi, the fundrasers pack your grocery and most of the time they ask you if you want to....i don't mind giving them a couple of bucks but when it'S the 3rd time in the same week.....????
    Last edited by Mia001; Thu, Oct 11th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

The sad thing is in lot of charities most of the money goes towards paying the staff , very little goes to the actual cause.

The executives and CEO's at some of these charities are making a lot of money. If they want others to donate money ..why don't these guys donate some of their time and work for free , so that all the money goes to the charity and not to pay high salaries and administrative charges.

I don't want to donate to United Way ( just an example ) if its CEO makes a million a year ( not saying that he makes that much ) , maybe his million dollar salary or so, should be donated to United Way too

You will be surprised how much money some of the CEO's and executives at the various charities are making.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Thu, Oct 11th, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
    Rika and breeka like this.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

At work this week there are 4 of us with children who have fundraisers for activities. These are all ones where you actually buy something. So DH and I try to sell raffle tickets for our 2 kids hockey. It is mandatory to buy the raffle books then either I sell them or the money comes out of my pocket. $80 is a lot for me so we've managed to sell one book total $40. We also have to contribute for other hockey fundraising. I do not send my kids out on the streets or stores. I end up buying other people's fundraising stuff so I think it all evens out in the end. However, I also contribute to charity. Hockey is not charity.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree to an extent. I get why some places fundraise but there is one that REALLY gets on my nerves. And that's Catholic Schools asking for money for school dances. Really? Your school gets a lot of money from families and the government and yet you can't get enough money for a dance? Then don't have one! I had two teenage girls, in their uniforms (with the skirts hiked VERY high up) come to our door. My husband anwsered the door, and these girls started doing the whole poor cute me needs money for a dance. My husband is 26, looks a little younger. He popped his head in and told me to come out. I came out and I was in my PJ's and, looked like trailer trash. Their lines changed and they stood up a little straighter and explained they needed money for a school dance. I looked at hubby "I don't have cash on me, do you?" "Nope" "Sorry" and walked back in. Afterwards I ranted to hubby for a good 20 minutes about how they should just ask the school board for the money since they got about 1.9 million from the government and didn't fix anything at the schools (other than a girls bathroom in one). ARGH!

In any case, girl guide cookies are back?! Gotta hunt down the troop!
    xox2010 and PammieD like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There is a plus side to all of this though. Those children and parents/gaurdians who do not badger or make snard remarks and faces to those who say no thank-you.
    I was heading into WM today with my two kids and spot a child and her grandfather standing outside with apples for Scouts. They never once asked me if I wanted to donate nor did they block anyones way into the store. The girl had her back turned to me and the Grandfather smiled as I walked by. In fact, I didn't hear them say anything to anyone, which is a very pleasant surprise. The little girl spots my oldest son and says, "Hi Sean," Sean replies back and informs me that the girl is in his class and they play together a lot (they're in grade 2). I have never contributed/donated to any group standing at stores and pestering customers, but this child and her grandparent where awesome, so I gave my son a few dollars and told him to go back outside and to donate to his friend. He comes back very happy and with 2 apples for him and his little brother.
    This is the best experience I have ever had with anyone asking donations. Moral of the story, out of all the bad apples out there, there is always the few who think about others before themselves.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I immediately thought of this thread after my experience at Fortinos today. Right by the entrance, there were two little girls standing with who I assume to be their guardians. As I walked by, one little girl asked for a donation in the cutest little voice. It tugs at my heart because I'm soft like that, but the thing is, that cuteness is exactly what these kinds of interactions are leveraging and I personally don't think its right to guilt trip anyone into donating. The little girl did not mention what the donation was for, and I don't keep cash on me, so I couldn't have donated anyway. If you're anything like me, saying no puts a damper on your spirit - I'd rather not have that kind of an interaction. If I want to donate, I will seek out a cause (as I have and do for causes I believe in).

OP, you're right. I would equate it to making kids beg.

[*A I M Z*]

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

All i do is say hi and smile and on the way out if they approach i say no thank you with a smile. lol
    Have a great shopping day lets save money!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have noticed that I'm far less likely to get asked for money for some reason. When I walk through the entrance they just look at me and don't say anything, but to other people they will ask them for money. Maybe I just look poor... I'm not complaining!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I have noticed that I'm far less likely to get asked for money for some reason. When I walk through the entrance they just look at me and don't say anything, but to other people they will ask them for money. Maybe I just look poor... I'm not complaining!

I'm guessing that since Mr Penguin doesn't get approached as much as I do, it's a gender thing. Sorry Brad.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

What bothers me is the girl guide cookies. I get you need to sell them. But I can't buy them from everyone's kid, and why from stranger kids at the mall when I know enough people's kids who sell them? Especially when they only come in chocolate and I am allergic to chocolate and I don't want to store them in my house.

One time, a kid selling chocolate stuff actually said to me "You're allergic to chocolate? Well then, I'm the queen." With a mouth like that, you expect me to buy something from you?
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Oct 14th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Where is this? I went to Catholic schools and they never asked for money for dances. When they raised money for something it was for dancethon and then they money usually went to a charity to help people living in poverty but they always advertised that the school didn't keep the money
    Quote Originally Posted by kparker1786 View Post
    I agree to an extent. I get why some places fundraise but there is one that REALLY gets on my nerves. And that's Catholic Schools asking for money for school dances. Really? Your school gets a lot of money from families and the government and yet you can't get enough money for a dance? Then don't have one! I had two teenage girls, in their uniforms (with the skirts hiked VERY high up) come to our door. My husband anwsered the door, and these girls started doing the whole poor cute me needs money for a dance. My husband is 26, looks a little younger. He popped his head in and told me to come out. I came out and I was in my PJ's and, looked like trailer trash. Their lines changed and they stood up a little straighter and explained they needed money for a school dance. I looked at hubby "I don't have cash on me, do you?" "Nope" "Sorry" and walked back in. Afterwards I ranted to hubby for a good 20 minutes about how they should just ask the school board for the money since they got about 1.9 million from the government and didn't fix anything at the schools (other than a girls bathroom in one). ARGH!

In any case, girl guide cookies are back?! Gotta hunt down the troop!
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Oct 14th, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information