User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Tank's all better! (UPDATED Nov.29)

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    So happy to see things are improving, janetta.

I love that antibiotic shot rather than the oral pills - our cats catch on after a couple days that I am not just given treats for nothing.

I completely understand the poop watch are you able to give her a (teensy) bit of restoralax (any PEG laxative) in a syringe? Like 1/8 tsp in a little water? We do that with our old fella.
    I haven't even considered giving her laxatives! I'll run it by my vet- I'm not sure if she's constipated, or just doesn't have much to poop out because she's eating minimal.
    I'd give her more food, but after not eating or drinking for a period of time, I've got to hold back so she doesn't binge and then..purge. I'll ask! I'm sure it'll help, thanks!
    Will she get the runs? Or just that little bit just help...things move along?

We gave Tank Greenies pocket pills and she totally caught on after the first few days.
    They're smarty pants! Now she won't even go near them and I ended up feeding it to her plain.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Well if it's just a lack of food thing, no need I'd say.

If you give the right amount, it just helps along rather than giving diarrhea. That's why the conservative amount. Our old guy Simba is about 7 lbs and that's what we give him, with no adverse reactions except using the bathroom normally.

(nothing like animal and kids to make you talk completely seriously about bodily functions )
    ninna likes this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My biggest question is. . . how did the vet cure her the 1st time and what was the problem? Is it a parasite, a virus, a disease? What did he/she give her for treatment and what was it that failed????
    madchives likes this.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Get Well Wishes for Tank the Kitty and also thinking of you Janetta, hope all goes well.
    madchives likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Thanks for updating, I've been peeking back to see how's she was and I'm so happy to read Tank is doing better. Sending positive thoughts her way for a full recovery.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm glad she's better - what's the diagnosis?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    My biggest question is. . . how did the vet cure her the 1st time and what was the problem? Is it a parasite, a virus, a disease? What did he/she give her for treatment and what was it that failed????

Sorry, I must have missed that info too janetta. She got better that first time, so what did the vet say it was then?

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    i am curious and afraid to be too relieved about her progress just yet. Prayers for Tank, like another member posted, she was a fixture in your food posts, I always loved that!
    madchives likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

My good thoughts that this all turns out the best for her!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    Well if it's just a lack of food thing, no need I'd say.
    If you give the right amount, it just helps along rather than giving diarrhea. That's why the conservative amount. Our old guy Simba is about 7 lbs and that's what we give him, with no adverse reactions except using the bathroom normally.
    (nothing like animal and kids to make you talk completely seriously about bodily functions )
    She went twice since my last update! Nothing major, but at least I know things are moving along.

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    The vet gave her anti-biotic pills 20ct, twice a day for 10 days as well as a topical medication (Surolan) for her ears.
    He didn't have a diagnoses, after doing a bunch of tests, but since it cleared up we left it at that.
    This time around, it seems like the same pills that were given to her upset her stomach/system so we got her a shot of different anti-biotics instead which seem to be get along with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    We think (99% sure, but will need several biopsies to confirm 100%) that she has a auto-immune disease called feline pemphigus.
    It can reoccur every so often, just like humans! To take preventative measures, we'd have to give her medication for the rest of her life.
    This is something we still have to discuss about- but taking it day by day, I'm just trying to get her healthy again before jumping into it.

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Sorry, I must have missed that info too janetta. She got better that first time, so what did the vet say it was then?
    i am curious and afraid to be too relieved about her progress just yet. Prayers for Tank, like another member posted, she was a fixture in your food posts, I always loved that!
    Thanks, I didn't even realize I wasn't posting her photos as often as before!
    I agree- I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. But since we're 99% sure about what she's got (auto-immune disease) I'm a little more relieved than I was before. There's steady progress in her road to recovery and her quality of life is better as well. It's a day by day thing right now and I'm just enjoying every single moment I have with her Even if it means waking up at 2am and then again at 6am for feedings!
    madchives, walkonby and glowworm2k like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thanks for the update, janetta! Rub that sweetie behind the ears for me, okay?
    madchives and janetta like this.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I am so sorry to hear about what your cat has been going through. I am happy to hear that he is getting better! I hope he makes a full recovery!

janetta likes this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Wow! It sounds like you two have been through quite the adventure. I am glad to hear that Tank is doing better.

On alicia's point about laxatives, Tonic Lax is a paste laxative that cats generally like (it's got a malty smell) and as it's made of oils it has a few extra calories. It's safe to give them and doesn't cause diarrhea in my extensive experiences using it with my kitty Sherry who passed away earlier this year. Tonic lax got us through a bowel obstruction and also a few issues with hairballs.

You might also want to check into vitamin and mineral supplements (I know pet valu sells them in both paste and treat forms) if Tank isn't eating lots. These supplements can help to ensure he doesn't become deficient in iron or taurine, two things that he will definitely need as he gets his strength back. I am not trying to put in a plug for pet valu, but these products are difficult to find, and if Tank won't take the supplements, the store will take them back for a full refund, even if the package is opened.... which is a really good think when you're talking about pet health care supplies! (We had a lot of expenses with Sherry in the 4 months before she passed, so I can feel your pain about big vet bills).

*hugs* to both of you

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glowworm2k View Post
    Wow! It sounds like you two have been through quite the adventure. I am glad to hear that Tank is doing better.

On alicia's point about laxatives, Tonic Lax is a paste laxative that cats generally like (it's got a malty smell) and as it's made of oils it has a few extra calories. It's safe to give them and doesn't cause diarrhea in my extensive experiences using it with my kitty Sherry who passed away earlier this year. Tonic lax got us through a bowel obstruction and also a few issues with hairballs.

You might also want to check into vitamin and mineral supplements (I know pet valu sells them in both paste and treat forms) if Tank isn't eating lots. These supplements can help to ensure he doesn't become deficient in iron or taurine, two things that he will definitely need as he gets his strength back. I am not trying to put in a plug for pet valu, but these products are difficult to find, and if Tank won't take the supplements, the store will take them back for a full refund, even if the package is opened.... which is a really good think when you're talking about pet health care supplies! (We had a lot of expenses with Sherry in the 4 months before she passed, so I can feel your pain about big vet bills).

*hugs* to both of you
    Thank you glowworm2k for sharing and I'm so sorry for your loss!
    I'll look into Tonic Lax if she's still not regular. Right now, she seems to be poop'n just fine, lol.
    She might not be going as often, because of her food. After her first skin infection, the only food she'd eat was IAMS (the orange, not so high quality stuff).
    We had a sample bag and I guess it's like junk food, because she pigged out. Happy that she was eating, we've kept her on it. She used the litter box more often and man did it ever smell!
    Now, she's strictly on Blue Buffalo wet food and that stuff has little to no corn/fillers etc. I feel like her body utlizes the food more, leaving her with less...waste.
    I should also mention it smells less.

I never knew that Pet Valu accepted opened pet food for return! That's great!
    We usually shop at Petsmart which is pretty good with returns- not sure if they are as generous though.
    Thanks again for your help!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Janetta for the update. I'm glad Tank is improving. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.
    janetta likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My darling Scoobie who supported me during chemo passed away He was buried tightly wound in high quality sheets from the 1960's with catnip,toys and a coin for the ferryman Later that summer an enormous rhubarb plant sprung up.I know that our pet families are very dear to use
    madchives and janetta like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information