User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By lecale

Thread: Samsung MP3 Player Galaxie 4.2 newbie requires help!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

We just bought a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 and want to use it to download music to take on a trip with us on SUNDAY. I've never downloaded music and have come to a grinding halt with the logistics and also with actually FINDING music that I want to listen to even when I get ON a site! CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First up congrats on the Samsung Galaxy 4.2 purchase. I own this device myself and love it. It pairs well with all the apps I already own from Google Play (the Android market) and I won't go near anything Apple, so it was a great alternative. Technically speaking, I can help somewhat...

Do you have any music files already? -- if so, plug the player via USB into your computer. On the player, pull-down the notification screen (swipe from top to bottom with your finger) and tap the USB Connected notification. THen press "Connect Storage to PC" -- when the Android mascot turns orange, your player will be connected to your PC and able to tranfer files.

It will come up as if it were a Removable Device (two if you have a microSD card installed in your player, one for internal memory and one for the memory card). You can then copy your music from your PC to the device that way.

ALSO... if you have a MicroSD card and can read the card on your PC, you can copy the files to the card, and insert the card into the player (removing the battery cover) and your music will also be accessible.

If you don't have a card reader on your PC, you can still copy to the MicroSD if it's already in your player using the first method I mentioned. With the card already inserted into your Samsung Galaxy 4.2, when you plug it in via USB you'll notice two new "drives" -- you will only be able to tell them apart by size (the Galaxy Player will report a max size of 4.62gb (much is used by the OS and apps) and the other will be the approximate size of your microSD card.

In either condition (direct to device or to MicroSD) I strongly suggest putting the files in the MUSIC folder.

--

However it seems as though you're looking for an online source, with actual music to buy online and import to the player. Unfortunately Canada is quite limited as to what's available, natively, in that regard. iTunes seems to be the dominant source.

While I'm a techno-geek, I won't touch anything Apple, so my iTunes knowledge is minimal at best, but I believe you can STILL get an iTunes account and buy and download MP3 music for play on any MP3 compatible device. Just be sure you acquire the music that is DRM-free (Which allows it to be played freely on any device, not just a registered Apple device) -- that much I *DO* know.

You are also permitted (legally in Canada) to rip or extract music from CDs that you, yourself, own to MP3 files and import them to your portable device.

I actually buy very little music online these days and when I do I buy my music from a US source (and the options for that are "grey" so I won't detail them here). But iTunes should be a sufficient option for you.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Oct 30th, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
    bluerose likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Well just purchased 2 Coby 4GB MP3 players for my grandchildren 7 & 8 yrs young, and I do not own one myself but "dah" I thought to be able to download music from utube? So okay cds we own ourselves I can do that ,what else can be done free? Thanks for the advice bhlombardy. should have gotten myself one also they where 18.00 dollars at C.T. reg 49.99

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
    bluerose likes this.

Thread Information