User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tobiwobi
  • 1 Post By ING_rep

Thread: MBNA smart mastercard - it was good while it lasted - rewards cut!

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

The following is copy/paste from the toronto star moneyville article:

Earlier this week MBNA, the country's fourth largest credit card issuer, announced changes to the Smart Cash rewards program that reduces the ability to earn cash back by up to 50 per cent.

Smart Cash Platinum MasterCard cardholders used to enjoy the following benefits:

• Five per cent cash back on gas and grocery purchases up to $600 a month for the first six months;
    • Three per cent cash back on gas and grocery purchases up to $600 a month thereafter;
    • One per cent cash back for all other purchases.

After the changes from MBNA, here's what new Smart Cash Platinum customers can expect to receive:

• Five per cent cash back on gas and grocery purchases up to $400 a month for the first six months;
    • Two per cent cash back on gas and grocery purchases up to $400 a month thereafter;
    • One per cent cash back for all other purchases up to $1,250 a month - including groceries and gas.

These changes are in effect immediately for new customers, and take effect December 1for existing cardholders. MBNA has sent letters advising customers of the changes to their rewards program.

Cathy Velasquez, Media Relations at MBNA Canada would not say why they have reduced the rewards. Velasquez said MBNA continuously evaluates their products and makes changes to improve their business, while trying to remain competitive.

Before these changes, you could take full advantage of the gas and grocery spending bonus of up to $600 a month and earn $288 in the first year and $216 in subsequent years.

Now, when you spend $600 a month on gas and groceries, you’ll earn $192 in the first year and $120 in subsequent years. That’s a decline of 50 per cent in the first year, and nearly 45 per cent thereafter.

If you’re an existing Smart Cash cardholder, you might be evaluating your need for a new cash back credit card. The bottom line: Smart Cash used to be the undisputed cash back king in Canada, but these changes from MBNA will take a big bite out of your rewards.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by tobiwobi; Fri, Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
    chillys-willy likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So what's the best cash back credit card now? I got an offer to upgrade my smart cash card to the smart cash world card which would give me another 6 months of 5% cash back, but what after that?

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Oh...I just got that card too. Well...I've been with MBNA for quite some time & I love their balance transfer offers. I can't complain too much I guess.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    2 (80%)

Say No To Credit Cards

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Arghhhhh!!! Just got the letter, they piss me off! When is ING going to offer a credit card with a fidelity value worth it's while!
    MY ORANGE KEY 16680564S1
    Every time a friend opens a Tangerine Account with $100 or more and uses your Orange Key, you'll both get $25.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm switching to the Capital One cash back : http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...VW&scrolly=373

best alternative I could find!
    chillys-willy likes this.
    MY ORANGE KEY 16680564S1
    Every time a friend opens a Tangerine Account with $100 or more and uses your Orange Key, you'll both get $25.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

TD bought MBNA and promptly changed the rewards programs.

Scotia bought ING - I wonder if they will eventually cut all ING perks, like TD with MBNA.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Did any of you get invited to switch to the Cash Back World card? The benefits are more like the cash back card.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good offer for SmartCash card 100$ free gift card! http://www.ratesupermarket.ca/deals/holiday-promo/
    ING DIRECT Orange Key **Get $50 in minutes!** From now until December 31st, when you open an ING DIRECT account, they'll give you a $50 Holiday Bonus. Hohoho! You may also be eligible for more deals, take a look! Use this link and enter Orange Key 38966724S1: http://www.ingdirect.ca/referafriend/ HAPPY SAVING!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Yes I got the letter too. I will upgrade it to the World card for 6 months and then not use the card.

Thread Information