User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Using minced garlic to make garlic bread

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

OK folks, I really do not know how to make garlic bread and have some minced garlic in a jar that family left in the fridge.

So, anyone have suggestions how to make a garlic spread and how do you actually make the garlic bread. I made a French loaf so have that - just need to know the rest lol
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    thecountess likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:23 AM.
    thecountess and hollyquaiscer like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Thanks so much!!! Going to give this a try for sure...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Maybe cook the garlic gently first (DON'T let it brown). Then do what lecale said.

This is timely advice for me. Awhile back I got tired of buying garlic in the grocery store that was always sprouting when I cut into it. I bought a small jar of minced garlic at Sobeys for about $3, which is now gone. There was probably a half cup in the jar. Today I was at Costco and bought a GIANT jar for about $4. I'm hoping it will keep well; I cook with garlic a fair bit, and this is probably three or four cups of it in my jar!
    Insane and hollyquaiscer like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I agree with Zonny, gently saute the garlic first. I always cook with fresh garlic, in the winter, in January, I get a huge sting of it (I'm always south in the winter, so it's harvest time in January here), I will purchase 3 or 4 pounds of butter, roast off a dozen or more garlic heads, them mash it with the butter. I roll the butter into logs, the wrap them and freeze them. The garlic melds with the butter and when I want garlic toast, I will take out one of my small rolls, defrost it and it's ready to go. It's also great when mashing potatoes or on top of a grilled steak or burger.

As for the jar garlic, you can do the same thing, roast the diced garlic off, then mix with some softened butter, roll into little logs and freeze. It's like a big pot of chili, the longer it sits, the better the flavour. Mix all your herbs in when you're ready to use it as the herbs are very delicate.
    harbie, thecountess and muggos0101 like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I always just mix minced garlic with butter, spread it on bread, then bake in the oven until golden. Adding cheese on top is also a +1

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i love making garlic bread with fresh garlic.

i mince it and crush it and then mix it with softened butter and a bit of olive oil. also dried parsley flakes if you want to.

i like to use a baguette. i make slices and just smear it between each slice, wrap in foil and heat through.
    Jina likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:24 AM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I usually butter the baguette, and then add garlic. I don't really like cheese in my garlic bread, so I don't add any. It's all in what you like. Sometimes I use a special seasoning that I purchase called roasted red pepper and garlic seasoning. You still need the butter/margarine, but then you just sprinkle the seasoning on. Then just heat it up in the oven.
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Ive been thinking about olive oil. I use it on baked potatoes in the oven, score the potatoes, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, no butter needed.

Olive oil solidifies when refrigerated (my Mom put the bottle in the fridge once). Would it work to lightly cook the garlic in a bit of olive oil at low heat (since olive oil doesn't do well at high heat), add more oil, some other herbs if you want, and put it in the fridge, then you can spread it on your bread before broiling? Healthier and tasty. Would this work?
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i love making garlic bread with fresh garlic.

i mince it and crush it and then mix it with softened butter and a bit of olive oil. also dried parsley flakes if you want to.

i like to use a baguette. i make slices and just smear it between each slice, wrap in foil and heat through.
    That's exactly how I make it! except I grate the garlic instead of crushing.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

If you use a lot of fresh garlic rather than jarred minced stuff, this is a very nifty tool. Until I discovered the giant jars at Costco, I was buying whole garlic and using this:

http://www.amazon.ca/Chefn-Rolling-C...8641196&sr=8-1

Just roll it on the counter until it's as fine as you like! It's great, easy to wash too.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I usually roast off a whole bulb of garlic in the oven, then add to room temperature butter that I have whipped in my kitchenaid. Whipped butter is easy to spread, and you can almost double the volume. Roasting the garlic makes it sweeter, and tastes so much better than raw imo. Add fresh herbs, and spread on bread. Broil until golden.
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsf1sh View Post
    I usually roast off a whole bulb of garlic in the oven, then add to room temperature butter that I have whipped in my kitchenaid. Whipped butter is easy to spread, and you can almost double the volume. Roasting the garlic makes it sweeter, and tastes so much better than raw imo. Add fresh herbs, and spread on bread. Broil until golden.
    How do you whip the butter? Just throw a stick in the mixer and whip? I recently stopped using margarine. I did a bunch of research and decided it wasn't healthy. But the kids (and the hubby who resists change the worse!) keep complaining that the butter doesn't spread as nicely.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Maybe cook the garlic gently first (DON'T let it brown). Then do what lecale said.

This is timely advice for me. Awhile back I got tired of buying garlic in the grocery store that was always sprouting when I cut into it. I bought a small jar of minced garlic at Sobeys for about $3, which is now gone. There was probably a half cup in the jar. Today I was at Costco and bought a GIANT jar for about $4. I'm hoping it will keep well; I cook with garlic a fair bit, and this is probably three or four cups of it in my jar!
    the big jars hold up well! we have one in the door of our fridge i use it regularly and i've never had it go bad on me the last little bit is just as good as freshly opened! and it can take me 6 months to get through a jar sometimes i LOVE buying it this way.. i had broken more then one garlic press.. i hated them.. i hated the mincing and chopping whenever i'd want garlic or it would be growing sprouts when i went to grab it.. i'd never go back!
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information