User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Walmart US Employees Threaten Black Friday Walk Out

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theweaves_dad View Post
    Besides, Black Friday is gone now.... Wal Mart's in USA open this year at 8 pm Thanksgiving Thursday!
    Maybe they will have "Black Friday week" soon

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Black Friday Week isn't any different than our Boxing Week Sales. I think they're opening on Thursday for more sales and to prevent the injuries and deaths that occur every year at Black Friday. The Americans are crazy for a good sale :/
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by masacras View Post
    The Americans are crazy for a good sale :/
    And if the retailers don't get the sales they project for Black Friday, they tend to continue discounts in the weeks before Christmas. So, a great time to shop in the next month, IMO.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theweaves_dad View Post
    WM workers are not unionized I believe. I have read that WM has the biggest union busting policies around. They have an entire department devoted to it!

Walking out on BF? Sure, lot of good that will do ya! Enjoy the rest of the day because you will be applying for work at the other stores on Saturday.

Besides, Black Friday is gone now.... Wal Mart's in USA open this year at 8 pm Thanksgiving Thursday!
    Yup.

They even closed a profitable Quebec store, when that store successfully unionised.

They didn't want other stores to be encouraged from that and follow that particular store.
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I hope they walkout.

WM is going to be open at 8.00 pm on Thanks Giving Day itself !

So the employees probably have to show up 3-4 hrs before that , to merchandise , crowd control etc ..so they can't even enjoy that day
    Poirot likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lucy16076 View Post
    My daughter works for Timmie's and they treat her quite well....but unfortunately over the last 6 months, the employees have helped themselves to money from the till & food without paying for it...therefore the couple that owns her Tim's has decided to not throw them a Christmas party (which is crappy because they gave every single employee last yr an ipad!), and they've taken away the 1/2 price food while working...unfortunately they had to paint everyone with the same brush because they couldn't pin point the problem. I imagine since Tim Hortons cafe's are all individually owned, it depends on the owners as to how the employees are treated.

As for Walmart Employees state-side...good luck & I hope the unemployment rate doesn't add up to many as I know that families are already struggling to make ends meet!
    that must have been so discouraging for them and for those that weren't involved.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post

So the employees probably have to show up 3-4 hrs before that , to merchandise , crowd control etc ..so they can't even enjoy that day
    Walmart is actually open all day Thanksgiving. They always have been.
    They are just starting the sales earlier.

Old Navy was actually the first store to start Thanksgiving day sales.
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just saw an interview on CNN....basically, they've been slipping in terms of how well they treat their employees. The employees want a stronger voice!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Deallover82 View Post
    I just saw an interview on CNN....basically, they've been slipping in terms of how well they treat their employees. The employees want a stronger voice!
    You are right. The company is taking advantage of employees because so many are unemployed and can replace existing employees easily. Sad, eh?
    sharkie likes this.

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Good for them. There is a really good documentary about the work conditions at US wm. is very sad and I'm happy to hear that the conditions in Canada are better.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

The sad thing is people will still shop there irrespective of how they treat their workers as the only thing people want is deals , and they could care less about how WM treats its workers.

WM knows it and they know they can get away with it , hence they will keep on doing it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I remember a story a few years back about a wm in Texas where an overnight employee die. It seems some WM lock-in the overnight employees (stock persons) a worker had an heart attack and no manager with keys where available to unlock the doors and by the time firefights break down the doors it was too late for the guy.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Annatree View Post
    I remember a story a few years back about a wm in Texas where an overnight employee die. It seems some WM lock-in the overnight employees (stock persons) a worker had an heart attack and no manager with keys where available to unlock the doors and by the time firefights break down the doors it was too late for the guy.
    I did not believe that Walmart locked night shift employees in the store until I read this story.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/18/us...ted=all&src=pm

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Just started at walmart and don't know what the average pay is but I'll be making about $13/hour which is just fine for me.
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I hope they walkout.

I worked many years until a few days ago in an industry(hospitality) that is a 24 hour a day 365 day a year thing. Always worked through all holidays, christmas, thanksgiving, etc because hotels don't close. Yet there are people when it comes to employee's in retail that say the same thing, oh man they don't get to enjoy that day? Sure some days it sucked but I dealt with it. Then you would have the people that would whine they didn't have enough days of work to pay their bills but every time the manager would increase their shifts from 3 - 4 days a week they would call in sick,lol.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information