User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: I hate Jury Duty!

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Actually my great grandfather did fight in the war and I know what he fought for (and died for) and what other Canadians did. BUT lets get something right, I do not want to be apart of it because of my health. AND because I am Canadian and live in such a great country I have the right to send in all the proper information to the proper people to have me excused because of my health issue.

Also I am not living dangerously, I have sick days/vacation time I can use. BUT I want to use that if my health ever gets bad to a point were I can not go to work. (IE in a hospital bed, because at times with my health it has been like that)

Also, if the court system did care, lets be honest, they would paid for your time, your meals, your child care and all other things that you need to survive as a Canadian in this country so your able to perform your duties for the courts at your best worry free but they don't...HMMM...something to think about.
    rachel1496 and Stifler like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Also, you don't have a anxity disorder and other health issues like I do so you do not know what I go through. If you dealt with what I deal with everyday you would understand. So you can not judge how I feel because you are not me and do not go through my everyday life in it. Plus your not my Dr. who knows what I go through. Just a thought to consider.

Also your not a jury memeber and I am not on trial
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, Nov 6th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
    Stifler likes this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I wouldn't mind the actual act of jury duty (as long as it wasn't a case where they decided to show us graphic murder scenes or anything) because I'm actually interested in the legal process and took law last semester. I just can't afford taking any days off since I am paying for school completely out of pocket (didn't qualify for OSAP again), and have all my living expenses to pay as well and I'm not getting ahead working every day as it is. If they decided to actually compensate the jury an amount that would replace lost wages I would actually be interested in doing it!
    pippinelkhound and rehender like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    I wouldn't mind the actual act of jury duty (as long as it wasn't a case where they decided to show us graphic murder scenes or anything) because I'm actually interested in the legal process and took law last semester. I just can't afford taking any days off since I am paying for school completely out of pocket (didn't qualify for OSAP again), and have all my living expenses to pay as well and I'm not getting ahead working every day as it is. If they decided to actually compensate the jury an amount that would replace lost wages I would actually be interested in doing it!
    Its not that I am callous and think that financial obligations are easily solved and should never be an excuse to not participate, I understand single family incomes, school concerns, etc etc I would just hope that the majority of the population does not find some reason to 'get out' of jury duty, if they do our system fails.

I also worry about the idea of being paid for this civil duty. Do we expect to get paid to vote? We have to take time off work to do that sometimes too (depending on work and poll schedules) When do we determine we need to be paid to do something? An also, at what rate should they pay? Someone making $40 an hour certainly wouldn't be happy with only minimum wage. How do you prove that you had to take time off work? What sort of clerical system would be required to confirm your missed presence at work and ensuring that payment is received for the appropriate person/amount. Our taxes are most certainly high enough without this added expense.

Just my thoughts... I think in terms of slippery slope sometimes, if one thing happens, what could happen next

Savea:
    You don't know anything about me, do not tell me who I am by words on a screen. Any medical issues that I do have do not define me. I don't need to announce them to the world in order to feel justified in my words or actions. Do not assume what is on the other side of the screen, cause honey, you have no idea.
    Last edited by Safyre; Tue, Nov 6th, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
    pippinelkhound, Aimz and dariusz8 like this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Safyre View Post
    Its not that I am callous and think that financial obligations are easily solved and should never be an excuse to not participate, I understand single family incomes, school concerns, etc etc I would just hope that the majority of the population does not find some reason to 'get out' of jury duty, if they do our system fails.

I also worry about the idea of being paid for this civil duty. Do we expect to get paid to vote? We have to take time off work to do that sometimes too (depending on work and poll schedules) When do we determine we need to be paid to do something? An also, at what rate should they pay? Someone making $40 an hour certainly wouldn't be happy with only minimum wage. How do you prove that you had to take time off work? What sort of clerical system would be required to confirm your missed presence at work and ensuring that payment is received for the appropriate person/amount. Our taxes are most certainly high enough without this added expense.

Just my thoughts... I think in terms of slippery slope sometimes, if one thing happens, what could happen next

Savea:
    You don't know anything about me, do not tell me who I am by words on a screen. Any medical issues that I do have do not define me. I don't need to announce them to the world in order to feel justified in my words or actions. Do not assume what is on the other side of the screen, cause honey, you have no idea.
    It could always be a percentage of your income? I feel like that would be a justified amount to take time off work and that way it would be tied into what wage you would be missing out on by not being at work.

I just know for me at this time if I were ever called for jury duty I would definitely have to try and get out of it since I would need to attend classes since I'm not doing so great in one, and feel like missing even one class would set me really far behind to the point where I might even fail the course...Not to mention the amount of money I have paid to be in those classes...I think maybe if I didn't have school and was working enough to put money away I would be okay to live on savings, but at the moment it's just not happening!
    Then again I probably would be dismissed anyway once they got a doc note about my crappy body I still don't think I'm fully healed from my fun hospital stay last summer...
    Aimz likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Then why don't you do the same Safyre. You don't know me and don't know my health issues either. Don't judge if you don't want to be judged back.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Wed, Nov 7th, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Stifler likes this.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Voting is an hour or two max and most people can figure out a way to do it without missing work. Those with kids can take them along or wait until they have someone else to watch them. Polling stations are usually located in places where parking is free. It's not just that we're losing money to do it it's that we're also incurring extra costs on top of that (childcare, transportation, parking just to name a few). We're being asked to pay to do our "civic duty" on top of losing potential income for those days so in a way it's a double hit.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Went to the doctor's this morning and she will be faxing them a letter telling them I can not be apart of it again still due to my health issues. Lets hope now this is resolved for good.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by saveadollardiva View Post
    Then why don't you do the same Safyre. You don't know me and don't know my health issues either. Don't judge if you don't want to be judged back.
    You told me(and the rest of the public internet) some of your health issues, you told me you have anxiety and panic attacks and 'other' health concerns. You want people to know, you wear it as if it defines you. Don't be a victim of your diseases, fight them. You rant constantly on this forum, if you took that ranting energy to FIGHT your disease instead of being a VICTIM of it, you'd see a huge change. Maybe you like to be the victim, maybe it gets you attention, maybe you're not ready to fight to get your life back from these diseases, I don't know you, but my advice to you, complete stranger, is don't like anxiety rule your life. There is no quality in a life when dealing with panic attacks.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Ya and I have the right to rant just like you do. You have a choice whether or not to respond to the rants. If you don't like what I have to say don't respond. Simple as that, I do that and I am sure others do the same. I don't need your advice as I have a doctor who gives me advice and medication to deal with it.

First off I am not a victim, a victim is someone who does not take control of their lives. I do take control of my life by dealing with it everyday, take medication and see my doctor. That is not being a victim that is being responsible. Also, being responsible is also knowing when your disorder could act up and make things worse for you. And in this case this what I am doing.

My disorder does not describe me as a person, yes, it is apart of my life and I deal with it. All I am saying is as a person with health issues I am not going to go to jury duty and add more stress to my health as it is not worth it for me and my health.

And in the forum other people have added their thoughts about it in regards to not getting paid and wasting time etc. And I agree with that as well. I have the right to more thoughts and views on the matter. Even you do, even though I don't agree with you.

So the next time you rant about something that bothers you does that show who you are? No it just means your upset about something. Everybody get's upset about something that effects them.

If you think I am a victim because of me ranting about something that bothers me because it effects my health than I think that is your view on me not mine.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Wed, Nov 7th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
    Stifler likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Please stop arguing
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

All I am saying is everyone has a right to their thoughts and views.
    Stifler likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

I have been chosen two times for jury duty. Both of the cases were quite disturbing(one was a dad who shook his baby to death, the other was a shooting which resulted in murder). It's an awkward feeling though for sure!
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I have patiently been waiting to be called for jury duty for 13 years ( since I turned 18) and have yet to get called but in that time my dad has been on 3 seperate juries, its just not fair...lol
    pippinelkhound and Aimz like this.

Trading Score
    393 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momgoneawol View Post
    Hope you get it resolved and they take you off the list for good. I took Law and Security in college and now I am off the list. Hubby is off the list because he is a firefghter. My niece had to do jury duty last year and it was a pain to go into the city every day for weeks. I don't think I would make a good juror I am for the death penalty.
    Im surprised you were let off for jury duty for taking Law & Security in college? I'm a licensed Paralegal and still had to do it
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Subscribe to my youtube channel for weekly VLOG updates on deals, couponing, & price matching. Happy couponing!
    www.youtube.com/user/SavvyCouponingMomJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information