User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: I hate Jury Duty!

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Hi Everyone!

Last year I got asked to do jury duty. Due a medical condition I have I can not be apart of it. I sent all the information from my doctor they needed and they excused me. Great, everything worked out.

Well I get a call from the court office today telling me I was giving a notice in the mail about attending jury duty for this year. I explained to them I did not receive one? (Only to find out they sent it to my old address, even though I gave them my new one the last time) I also explained to them I sent in a doctors note from last year stating that I am unable to perform my duties. The lady than explains to me that was for last year and I need to send them a new doctors note for this year! Also, they said if I don't show up than they will have warrent out for me.

I told them since I didn't get the paper work and since they are giving me short notice if they could send me the paper work to my proper mailing address and if they could maybe extend my court appreance because of issue.

She than says NO! acting like it is my fault! Excuse me! Like it's not my fault you guys can not update your info? She says since we have called you now and have explained to you what needs to be done you need to follow through!

I told them I will be sending a doctors note stating that I still can not attended because of my medical condition. She than says that I need to send it in ASAP as it takes a judge 4 days to decided whether or not to excuse me. And than I say to her "Well how is this my fault if you guys can not update your info properly!"

UGGGGGGG!!!

I called my doctor and thank god I did! She leaves for vacation on Thursday! So I am seeing her as soon as possible so I can get this resolved.

I am just mad because they need to update their info! It's not like they didn't have the info I sent them the frist time! They had my telephone number to call me and inform me so what happened to the address info?

Bad day already!

Thanks,
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Mon, Nov 5th, 2012 at 01:45 PM.

love.them.coupons
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

my husband and i within the same month got jury duty but i couldnt do it because i just had a new born i breast feed and my husband also because he workd 7 days a weeks and get anxiety so they prob dont want him either lol
    i havent been asked since

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I have a really bad anxiety disorder and also other medical problems. Like I did everything right the first time and because they mess up they are acting like I am the criminial! Hopefully after I get my doctors note they will excuse me like last time. It bothers me because now I have to rush to do this. Also, this is effecting my health because it brings up my anxiety even more! Waste time, money and energy.

I don't have a problem doing my part and sending in all the info but come on at least give me some time especially if you sent it to the wrong address!
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Mon, Nov 5th, 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Hope you get it resolved and they take you off the list for good. I took Law and Security in college and now I am off the list. Hubby is off the list because he is a firefghter. My niece had to do jury duty last year and it was a pain to go into the city every day for weeks. I don't think I would make a good juror I am for the death penalty.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momgoneawol View Post
    Hope you get it resolved and they take you off the list for good. I took Law and Security in college and now I am off the list. Hubby is off the list because he is a firefghter. My niece had to do jury duty last year and it was a pain to go into the city every day for weeks. I don't think I would make a good juror I am for the death penalty.
    Just being for the death penalty does not automatically make you a "bad" juror.
    pippinelkhound likes this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wonder how people do it that are the sole provider of their home and would not be entitled to any wage during that time. I know you get very little compensation for sitting on a jury and your employer does not have to pay you in your absence.
    saveadollardiva likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    I wonder how people do it that are the sole provider of their home and would not be entitled to any wage during that time. I know you get very little compensation for sitting on a jury and your employer does not have to pay you in your absence.
    For the first 10 days you don't even get paid.

You don't even get meal allowance ..nothing !

More often than not you also end up paying for expensive court parking from your pocket

Only if you live more than 40 km away from the court, you get a very minimal travel allowance..it barely covers your gas.

• Those persons selected from the jury panel to serve as jurors will receive the following payment:
      • From day 1 to 10: No fee
      • From day 11 to 49: $40.00 per day
      • From day 50 to the last day of trial: $100.00 per day. Trials of this length are rare.
      • Jurors who live outside the city in which the courthouse is located will be paid a daily travel expense once serving as a juror. Jurors residing in the same city as the courthouse are not paid a travel allowance.
      • Employers are required by law to allow employees time off for jury duty.
      • The law does not require employers to pay salary for employees summoned for jury duty, although some employers do. Speak with your employer to determine if they have a policy to pay people absent from work for jury duty.
      • As a member of a jury panel or as a selected juror there is no allowance for childcare expenses.

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

wow... I was under the impression that they would compensate you a bit better for jury duty. What are somethings that will exempt you from jury duty?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I was summoned last month too, went and told the judge I couldn't do it due to medical reason and was excused. I don't feel that I am qualify anyway.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    This is why I hope I am never called especially right now! I can't afford to miss work and I have school as well to pay for and it's all coming out of pocket so not making money is just not an option even for 10 days and then when you do get compensated the amount is a complete joke. Maybe people wouldn't hate doing it so much if they started fairly compensating those on the jury for the wages they will miss by working for the government for free...I'm sure everyone else in the court gets paid a nice salary!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

They called my Dad for the Air India trial but he was an airline machinist for 30 years. Needless to say they didn't want him!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momgoneawol View Post
    I don't think I would make a good juror I am for the death penalty.
    Canada doesn't have the death penalty....so you'd be safe!

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I don't know why they don't ask people who are retired or unemployed to do it? Like they know what you do for a living, they know you work and in my case they know I have a medical condition so why ask again? I am going to go and see my doctor tomorrow to get the note and have her fax it with my letter. Hopefully I get excused again.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, Nov 6th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

$40 a day? must be nice! here they only give $20!

I got called for jury duty when I was in my final year of my education degree. I got excused because serving would have meant I wouldn't graduate on time. I lucked out and spoke to some really nice people at the law courts building here.. I did have to get letters from my dean of education, the principal and the teacher of the school I was doing my student teaching at.

I'd actually participate again if I could. I've always been interested in the legal process.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

smileyKT you can be excused from jury duty for these reasons:

Medical Condition
    Work Related (Say your a manager for a company and you need to be there to run the day to day operations)
    Educational reasons (Classes, graduation etc)

The best thing to do is get a doctors note, I find if you send that they will excuse you more easily.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, Nov 6th, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
    smileyKT likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information