User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Cross Border Deals Brag!

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

does anyone know if you can use the coupons even at the outlet mall in niagara falls, ny? that is one of the two places i go in the states, but if i could save even more money when shopping there... that would be... crazy!!!

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Quponer View Post
    We recently traveled to Chicago and wow did we get some great deals.
    So many that we had to pack and extra box full of our deals!
    Sadley we had to pay $105 excess luggage fees but even with the 3 pieces we were allowed we couldn't fit it all.

Then when we got to Canadian customs they asked how much we spent, so we told them, but then at the the next counter they pulled us aside to check all of our bags!!!
    When the customs officer asked for all of my recipients, i warned her that we were into extreme couponing and the final prices were minimal. However even with the limit of $3200 for our family they wanted to check further, so we let them.

So after about 15 mins of her seeing the items and the receipets, her manger passed by and asked the officer, "Do you really think they have over $3200 worth of stuff?" Needless to say, the officer turned around and said, "the investigation is complete."

My husband and I both a little annoyed but in the end it was more of a lesson for the customs officials to see that you really can use coupons and pay $0.17 at the Gap for 2 pair of shoes, a dress, a pair of pants, and a Gap Perfume!
    Trip was amazing all coupon receipts were under $5 each.... !
    So they asked you "how much you spent"?? Because then you can easily say you spent next to nothing.

But usually when I cross over they ask me what the "value of goods" are entering into canada... So I am not sure if I could still say next to nothing...

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsJOEwackIM View Post
    does anyone know if you can use the coupons even at the outlet mall in niagara falls, ny? that is one of the two places i go in the states, but if i could save even more money when shopping there... that would be... crazy!!!
    NY has grocery stores that double coupons! There are a few that double up to a $1 total.... one doubles coupons up to a $2 total.... you really have to research the area you will be in and the stores that allow for the doubling... rules change so it is important to do some research. The couponing in NY is pretty fantastic.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Quponer View Post
    We recently traveled to Chicago and wow did we get some great deals.
    So many that we had to pack and extra box full of our deals!
    Sadley we had to pay $105 excess luggage fees but even with the 3 pieces we were allowed we couldn't fit it all.

Then when we got to Canadian customs they asked how much we spent, so we told them, but then at the the next counter they pulled us aside to check all of our bags!!!
    When the customs officer asked for all of my recipients, i warned her that we were into extreme couponing and the final prices were minimal. However even with the limit of $3200 for our family they wanted to check further, so we let them.

So after about 15 mins of her seeing the items and the receipets, her manger passed by and asked the officer, "Do you really think they have over $3200 worth of stuff?" Needless to say, the officer turned around and said, "the investigation is complete."

My husband and I both a little annoyed but in the end it was more of a lesson for the customs officials to see that you really can use coupons and pay $0.17 at the Gap for 2 pair of shoes, a dress, a pair of pants, and a Gap Perfume!
    Trip was amazing all coupon receipts were under $5 each.... !
    replied to wrong person
    Last edited by Poirot; Sun, Nov 11th, 2012 at 12:53 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    WTG! For those interested you can purchase inserts and individual coupons on ebay, clipping services and there are tons of printables. In many places it is perfectly ok to go thru massive recycle bins that hold only papers and take out the inserts. Knowing people south of the border helps too. Instore customer cards save you a fortune and in some cases can make it so you have store credit. Youtube is a great resource to learn how to do this. Couponlikeaman on youtube is one of many great places to start.... Not that I have researched this at all!!! LOL
    A lady that was on Extreme Couponing Jane Franco sells newspaper coupon inserts http://www.couponshoppinwitjane.com here is a list of newspaper and coupon inserts for sale http://couponshoppinwitjane.myshopify.com and her youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/couponshoppinwitjane
    cheekysaver likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    597 (100%)

You declare how much you paid, not how much it is worth. I went to Messena NY today, spent about $100 but got over $200 worth of items. If you go on a sunday, buy a paper bc their are always inserts in them.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by army_girl29 View Post
    You declare how much you paid, not how much it is worth. I went to Messena NY today, spent about $100 but got over $200 worth of items. If you go on a sunday, buy a paper bc their are always inserts in them.
    "The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) reminds travellers to accurately declare all goods and their value when returning to Canada. Making false statements about the true value of goods is a criminal offence under the Customs Act and may lead to serious financial and/or legal consequences."
    mrsJOEwackIM likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I guess sometimes the "value" is hard to give. If items are on sale or have store 30% off applied, I think it should be based on the price paid, which is what CBSA looks at... if you have store receipts from recognized retailers, I don't think they're going to question value vs. price paid. If you had a 'gift' that you were declaring at a low value, I can see how they might question it.

Groupons, though, I'd think of as cash... someone paid $20 for that $40 Groupon, so I'd count that $20 in the declared value. And boy, I'd be hesitant to buy Groupons on e-bay... who's to say that the seller just didn't print a bunch of them to sell?

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RonBC View Post
    "The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) reminds travellers to accurately declare all goods and their value when returning to Canada. Making false statements about the true value of goods is a criminal offence under the Customs Act and may lead to serious financial and/or legal consequences."
    That's what I thought! I've been over a few times and that's what they have always asked me...

Purplechocolatecat-oholic Karabana's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I cross border shop @ 3x a year in NY & MI but I've never used/had coupons. I always hit the stores with really low prices & good sales. So now I'll have to search in time for Xmas & see what further discounts I can get! Thanks!

Swaggin is my madness: www.swagbucks.com/refer/Karabana
    ^Easy free stuff yo^!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think there's an argument for both sides. Supposing an item is $50, but you paid $25. If you wouldn't have bought it if it was $50, then it's value to you is $25. The value of an item is the price the buyer places on it. If no one wants it, it has no value.

Someone I know in marketing once told me that the MSRP is a made up price (by him). He can say whatever figure he wants is the MSRP, but it doesn't matter if no one pays that price for it. Then he marks things "on sale" to make them more appealing to buyers during that time frame. It creates a temptation for people already looking to buy that item. I asked him what a particular item is worth and he said it depends on who you ask. To the manufacturer its the ficticious price. To the buyer, it's the listed price. To the store, it's the amount they paid at cost (to buy from the manufacturer).

So that $300 item he has on sale, which he priced at $150, is worth (in his mind) the $75 he can buy it for - because he wouldn't spend more than $75 as a buyer.

I think the best thing you can do is call Canada Customs and ask. Although, when you get pulled over to pay duties, you show your receipts so they see how much you paid and compare them to the items in your car. In that case, it makes sense to declare what you paid so they can match them up to your purchases.

When they stop me at the border and ask what the value of the goods are, I will say "I paid $X", and they can do their job and draw their own conclusions.
    tjthemanto and rngirl87 like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yes you would only declare the $1.50. Its based on the receipts you show them at customs. I had a few items like new baby clothes I was taking from Ontario with me, that I didn't end up using but since i didn't bring the receipts and those items still had the tags on them, the customs officer was counting the ticketed price on the item. So KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS and you'll be fine!
    Either way the limit per person entering back into Canada after a week is $800 each so with a family of 4 we were allowed $3200.00 which we didn't even get close to spending!

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

seems like a bit of planning ahead paid off big time! good for you

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RonBC View Post
    I always declare the $$ value on my receipt.....ie. "I bought $60 of groceries @ Trader Joe's.....here's my receipt." The purchase value of what you bought is what you paid for it, end of story, and the proof is in the receipt. Prices are always fluctuating, and thus the 'purchase value' of consumers goods fluctuates as well.
    Karabana likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information