User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Value Village- Yet another reason to NOT shop there!

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Hey
    so I used to love value village,
    back in the good ol days when things weren't RIDICULOUSLY priced.
    For a thrift shop, value village is very pricey.
    I never understand how they can price USED clothing at 9.99, 14.99 etc.

When Talize opened up in the same plaza, I wandered over there and love it! Their prices are much more reasonable, the store is bigger, cleaner, and nicer quality/selection.

Now onto why I will never again shop at value village.
    I needed to buy some 'new to me' jeans as my favourite pair grew a nice big hole in the middle LOL
    so I went to Talize first of course, found a great pair for 5.99
    but I wanted to see if I could find another pair,
    so silly me, I went to Value Village.

After going through a bunch of jeans I found a pair that fit great, looked great.
    only problem? No tag.
    So I figure i'll see what price they list it at the cash like Talize does when theres no tag.
    I get to the cash, inform the cashier of the situation...
    she takes the jeans and tells me that she can't sell me them without the tag on them.
    uhhhh what?
    I asked her why not and she says its ''store policy'' that the jeans have to be reprocessed and put back on the floor the next day.
    I asked if she was joking and she informed me that its store policy.
    and that she cant 'do price checks''
    I told her that their policy is ridiculous and that if they want to lose business to better thrift stores like Talize that i'll take my shopping there instead.

I would have talked to a manager but I was on my way to work...

I'm so sick of the crap that value village has on.
    in the past I've been yelled at by an associate who works there, had people follow me around, been accused of 'tag switching'
    and now this b.s that they cant even sell me clothing because some idiot took the tag off it!

Rant over
    This thread is currently associated with: Value Village

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That has happened to me also so I enquired as to why. The two different occasions this happened to me, I was told the same thing politely. They advise that sometimes people will deliberately take the prices off but say the tags are lost. Sometimes that could be true (lost), other times (taken off). So to counteract that (as no doubt if the "lost" method was found to work, I could see "extreme couponer" mentality at work at V.V. too. So this way, they have to send it back to the back where they reprocess, as you mentioned.

I too was a bit frustrated but chalked it up to the thinking, "well I guess I just wasn't supposed to buy that article that day", and I just kept on going about my business that day. Just as there are always coupons the next day, so are there also articles in the future, and sometimes even a better deal either at V.V. or elsewhere.
    Last edited by shirl57; Fri, Dec 30th, 2011 at 01:25 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That's long been the policy at our VV as well. Sure it can be frustrating if you've found an item you totally want - but maybe if you had asked, they could have put it aside for you.
    We love VV - have gotten extraordinary deals there, particularly whilst our son was growing!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I haven't experienced this but usually the employees are really nice and would do their best to try and sell it to you. Such a shame to read this

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I love Talize too!! VV is a disgrace it's dirty and SERIOUSLY overpriced

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I only shop at either of those stores when its 50% off day.
    Yes its friggen INSANE in there but I find Talize is a little bit more over priced (pending if its brand name)
    maliha44 likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    That's long been the policy at our VV as well. Sure it can be frustrating if you've found an item you totally want - but maybe if you had asked, they could have put it aside for you.
    We love VV - have gotten extraordinary deals there, particularly whilst our son was growing!

unfortunately they won't do that either. same thing happened to us. we went to VV a few weeks ago.. hubby found a set of phones just like ours.. no price.. he found a lady working on the floor with her hands full..he asked her about it. she said sorry. stated the above policy etc. then said now give them to me.. he was like. your hands are full. she just looked at him like. 'do i look like i care'.. so he dumped them in her hands.. he asked if they'd hold them for him once they were 'repriced' and placed out the next day.. she said NO. first come first served and walked away. oh you do even wanna know what he said that after that ... anyway. we always shop at Talize now.. my old work place many a years ago.. and we get great CS.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

i think we DO we DO want to know what he said next lol

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You should just go to Winners! I've found things that were within the same price range as what Value Village offers and bonus.. their clothes are new I've given up on buying clothes at VV, because I learned that employees take all the good clothes anyways before it even hits the sales floor. A couple of my friends have worked there and they got their hands on $10 True Religion jeans and Coach bags. Then they leave us with overpriced used clothes that no one wants.
    itsjustmebub and maliha44 like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am not sure how they decide what prices to put on things but I bought DS 2 IDENTICAL west 49 hoodies. Both same size, both same design but one was green and the other blue. One was 4.99, the other was 2.99. WTH is that about?? LOL
    itsjustmebub likes this.
    If you are thinking of joining Listia, use my referral http://www.listia.com/signup/736035

Why not give swagbucks a try?? You'll be glad you did! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/bonste

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    52 (97%)

I used to work at VW they price with thier mood and supervisor mood whihc is funny to impress your super price high because if you dont they will pick on you since they do daily inspection and also super tells them to check the brand name they have list whihc they check and price it
    Momof3girlies likes this.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I have never had that happen - every time I find something that doesn't have a tag on it I politely ask if it can be tagged - they usually if not busy go to the back and tag it - if it is a ridiculous price than I put it back on the rack

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The orillia store [just opened recently] is way overpriced. I found a few crafting items that had no tags. It was so busy that i couldn't find a staff member to help out and my dad was angry at that point [the lineup was huge] so we left.

Ummm... sometimes i can find deals on crafting supplies but mostly everything is overpriced . My dad and I love the goodwill stores [aside from the orillia store]. We tend to hit them when they have their 50% off sales so we get ALOT of good stuff at fair prices.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

I also noticed that their prices are getting a little crazy...I usually only go there on 50% days, and only if I have the day off...

I hate that I can go to a store and buy brand new clothing for less than the price VV is offering it for, kind of upsets me because they're supposed to be offering things for much less than retail, all the while helping the community in the meantime...and the staff at the one I shop at are always so rude and seem put off each time a customer gets to the register...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nadiabreckon View Post
    I hate that I can go to a store and buy brand new clothing for less than the price VV is offering it for, kind of upsets me because they're supposed to be offering things for much less than retail, all the while helping the community in the meantime...and the staff at the one I shop at are always so rude and seem put off each time a customer gets to the register...
    i agree. i don't really get the point of thrifting anymore if you can buy brand new clothes for around the same price or cheaper. the premium finds are getting slim as well since more stores are deliberately picking them out.
    itsjustmebub likes this.
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information