User Tag List

View Poll Results: TLC's extreme couponing good or bad?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change!

37 8.96%
  • Change for the better

48 11.62%
  • Change for the worse

237 57.38%
  • too early to tell

91 22.03%
Page 49 of 114 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: TLC Extreme Couponing

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

oh my that is craziness on her facebook page! although i do agree alot with what some of the commenters are saying (fraud is fraud even if you don't get charged for it doesn't make it legal) and i do think by being on the show she opened herself up to this sort of backlash..
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snowbride78 View Post
    I loved watching the shows. My mom has those cool shelves and is FINALLY teaching me about food storage. I went shopping with her last night. Did you know you can freeze butter??? AND MILK???

...Here are my two fav sites.

http://www.stilltasty.com This gives me ideas when planning my trip about shelf life and how long things can be frozen.

http://www.shelfreliance.com/food-rotation-systems
    This is where she orders her shelves from. I am still trying to pick ones that will fit into my teenie apartment.

Hope this helps some of you! it sure helped me!

* I hope this doesnt come across like an ad, I just saw these on the show and thought some people might want to know where they came from.
    I know you can freeze butter and milk but I dislike the taste of thawed milk so I'd run a test before you go out and buy 50 litres. Frozen butter I don't mind. Though unsalted butter (I use it a lot in my baking) can't be frozen too long.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I find frozen milk still tastes OK as long as you kinda swirl it around. Re-mix everything. Would have to remember to write the date you took it out of the freezer on it though.

My personal opinion on J'aime is that she KNEW what she was doing was wrong, and still chose to do it on TV. She knew full well it was just plain illegal, and yet she did it anyway, either for the money TLC paid her, for the fame, for something, but she knew it was wrong and she did it anyway, she's just mad she got caught. She is scummy to me, I wouldn't want to be associated with her in any way.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I check several of the blogs of people from the fist Exteme Couponing show..(I used to a lot more before I found SC!!)Some interesting things:

1. They are not paid AT ALL for their appearances. A lot of them do it to bring traffic to their sites, or publicity for their books.

2. On the special they only showed the donation of the cereal...but all of the participants from the first show donate regularly to charities and churches.

3. J'aime (the mustard lady) posted shopping trips at Target awhile back...it turned out that they were RIFE with fraud, she yanked the videos, but someone has put them back on YouTube.

4. They are in the process of completely revamping the barcodes on US coupons precisely so that the type of fraud J'aime uses (coupon decoding: using a coupon with a barcode "family number" on a product it was not intended for ) is not possible anymore.

Aside from the fraud...the shelf clearing REALLY bugged me, as did the one mom referring to her kids as her "litter"...repeatedly. ugh.

There are lots of things that are amazing about couponing in the US, but not very many states have doubling stores, and the coupons are generally lower value (i.e. $.30 off) in the places that do double. Still...I'm very jealous of the fact that there are usually 3-4 inserts EVERY WEEK, PG puts out new brandsaver coupons regularly, and there are often inserts from General Mills and ConAgra. Plus....the stacking!!! (If we DO end up getting a Target here, I hope that the coupon policies will be the same as the US!!)

In one way..the "fraud scandal" has caused a lot of couponing blogs to post a lot about proper coupon use, what is right and legal. It has also opened up a lot of discussion about coupon etiquette---(no shelf clearing, no copying coupons, no coupon-clearing etc.) If everyone would coupon the right way, no-one could ruin it for everyone that does follow the rules. That's what so many people are angry about.

Also...the one lady talked about freezing cream cheese...I tried googling and couldn't find a satisfactory response...so I called Kraft and they said you CAN'T freeze cream cheese because it changes the texture and quality of the product. Can anyone verify this? (with the great couponzone coupons on Kraft I would love to stock up on cream cheese...but if I can't freeze it I won't bother. Anyone know about freezing Amooza cheese sticks?
    Last edited by tchaikca; Mon, Apr 11th, 2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: adding something...

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think Kraft just doesn't want you to buy the product, freeze it, and find it unsatisfactory after and then complain. Try it with a chunk of the cream cheese you have on hand, if you can't taste a difference then go for it and stock up!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i'd say if your putting the cream cheese into something go ahead and freeze it but if your eating it straight out of the package don't.. for example i freeze grated cheese all the time.. it tastes no different cooked on pizza or melted onto something but if i were to take some out and eat it on it's own there is a slight texture difference

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i do agree with what jamie did was wrong.. she openly willingly did something wrong (which by the sounds of it she has done regularly and often) if she didn't want this backlash she shouldn't have shown her list so openly and her coupon selection so openly

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Honestly I think TLC loves scandalous/ contraversial shows and they love the attention that it brings like they didn't know Sister Wives was gonna create a stir and Extreme Couponing hopefully they didn't know about the suspected fraud but the shelf clearing and extreme anticts were also going to create a stir with other couponers.

The show isn't even informative and really doesn't teach people anything they don't show non couponers how to match deals with flyers and coupons to get the most of the deal it just shows the stockpile and them running out the door with a list and a shoebox full of coupons and only paying $0.05 an item and it doesn't show the work that goes into the trips and the organization it takes to coupon it's so frustrating yet addicting to watch

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I hate to get off topic talking about cheese But I notice that too, whenever I grate cheese the air gets in and dries it out a tad. Not nice

I totally agree with you OctoberSun, unless you already know how to do it, are willing to commit the time and learn or have somebody with their foot in the door who will teach you, you're getting nothing from that show besides "Lookit me dump a box full of paper out at the cash register and get a ton of stuff for free."

At least though, it generates interest so people youtube how to do it, there's tons of couponers on youtube from the USA.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

J'amie should know it's like hell hath no fury like couponers scorned.Tonight they repeat the Extreme Couponing shows and a tomorrow night one new show and a repeat show.
    Last edited by Poirot; Tue, Apr 12th, 2011 at 05:03 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

These people on Extreme Couponing may be watching their money and how much they are saving, but are they really watching their weight? If you notice, many of them are really overweight - both the wife and husband. I've only seen one or two in ALL of these shows so far that seem to be somewhat slim. The lady who plans her meals one month in advance seems to be trim.

Not to mention, all the junk food they are buying - chocolate bars, salty hot dogs, pop, chips, sugary cereal. Geez.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Opened up itunes and on the home page at the bottom where the "Free On iTunes" section is I saw a free episode of TLC's Extreme Couponing titled "J'amie & Tiffany". (I wonder if this the J'amie that you all are talking about?)

I hope someone finds this interesting, I did and downloaded it.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anne99 View Post
    Opened up itunes and on the home page at the bottom where the "Free On iTunes" section is I saw a free episode of TLC's Extreme Couponing titled "J'amie & Tiffany". (I wonder if this the J'amie that you all are talking about?)

I hope someone finds this interesting, I did and downloaded it.

Thanks for the heads up on itunes.

I also found some episodes on channel cuts, through megavideo. This is a Rebecca and Jessica episode
    http://www.channelcut.net/extreme-co...becca-jessica/

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by browngirl82 View Post
    These people on Extreme Couponing may be watching their money and how much they are saving, but are they really watching their weight? If you notice, many of them are really overweight - both the wife and husband. I've only seen one or two in ALL of these shows so far that seem to be somewhat slim. The lady who plans her meals one month in advance seems to be trim.

Not to mention, all the junk food they are buying - chocolate bars, salty hot dogs, pop, chips, sugary cereal. Geez.
    The only show I saw had that. Both families were getting a bunch of free pop. Well yuck. I don't want a bunch of pop stored in my house or my husband might drink it and it's bad for him.

I was really tempted by a discounted cereal with the $5 off ice cream on it. Because I would be 'making' money. BUT I need neither another box of processed cereal or a carton of ice cream so I had to leave it be. It would be one thing if I could donate the cereal but after I've hacked up the box our local food bank probably won't want it.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on itunes.

I also found some episodes on channel cuts, through megavideo. This is a Rebecca and Jessica episode
    http://www.channelcut.net/extreme-co...becca-jessica/
    Thanks! I'm watching it now.

Page 49 of 114 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 ... LastLast

Thread Information