User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: So How much are you planning to spend this X'Mas on gifts ?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Whatever you spend, do it on cash (no credit card). This way, I'm sure you won't exceed your budget.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashedfc View Post
    Whatever you spend, do it on cash (no credit card). This way, I'm sure you won't exceed your budget.
    Which is why I like the Christmas club...I pay $x per week over y number of weeks and have $yx to spend on the groceries that I wouldn't be buying on a weekly basis.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I'm not religious at all.. but I get suckered in by the romanticism of it, the snowflakes and ice skating with hot chocolate and streets all decked out in pretty lights at night. I'm getting all carried away now. And I have a sister much much younger than me and to her presents under the tree are a big deal, and I'm trying to hold onto being a kid a little bit too and slowing down enough to enjoy the little moments, and appreciate family being together cos who knows where life will take us.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Usually when it comes to kids in the family (3) we buy for me and DH usually do 100.00 for each kid. Than parents and grand parents, sisters, brother in law etc. around 50 each or so. We will probably spend around 1,000 this year, and that is cheap! We don't buy gifts for each other me and DH we just exchange christmas letters we write to each other every year. Means more than any other gift
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Thu, Nov 15th, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

$100.00 a person is what we spend. It certainly adds up that's why I budget all year long for Christmas & birthdays, etc.
    saveadollardiva likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is the break down for my christmas shopping (which is finished as of early last month):
    ds1 and ds2 - $100 each
    Myself and dh - $12 each (we buy each other pjs)
    Grandparents - $30 each (they receive pictures in frames of the boys throughout the year and my dad receives his 1 case of Budweiser from us that he allotts himself each year)
    Sister/brother in-law - $20 (usually a walmart give card)

My 8 siblings and I don't purchase gifts for each other or the nieces/nephews. We don't buy for any extended family (many are VERY special snowflakes and we choose to not have contact with them throughout the year) and prefer the once a year christmas get together instead.

I was talking to my cousin yesterday about this and she stated that she usually spends between $4,000 - $6,000 on her 6 children. I was dumbfounded, especially since she doesn't work and neither did her new husband up until this past year. She stated that right now, she has spent a total of $1500 on her children and husband, but this price would be greatly increased if 2 of her children weren't adults, 2 others lived with their dad, and the youngest 2 weren't going on a 2 week vacation to Cuba a few months after christmas.

To each their own

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

$220-$240.00 combined for 8 family members (mom, dad, sister, sister's bf, brother, sister in law, 2 nephews). The gifts are paid by cash which I have saved over the summer. I do an exchange with my neighbour, either home baked goods or gift under $15.00. Tip the hair stylist a little extra at Christmas.

At the Dollarama I pick up bows, gift tags, gift boxes, bags, and napkins. I have purchased fancy plastic plates or bowls to put goodies in or on that I can reuse each year. If the gift boxes and bags are in good shape I often reuse them for the next year.

I also like to pick up extra scarves, hats, mitts at the Dollarama since there so cheap. I try to make it downtown once or twice as the holidays approach. I donate them to a homeless shelter.

As for myself, yes I will treat myself to something small. This year is going to be hectic since I'm having surgery soon and will not be hands on for the cooking etc. I found a gc I received on my birthday. My gift to myself will be a facial using the gc. Something relaxing to do before surgery and the holidays.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Our only child will receive a check for $1000, this is not the norm but we received a generous pre-inheritance....I know he will be THRILLED. We are taking ourselves on a month long holiday to Mexico for December....it's our annual Christmas/Anniversary gift and a reminder to ourselves how much we appreciate each other. This is the sixth year of doing this after a very close brush with death when I was 49...very scary. We save and work hard all year to fund this adventure....no dinners out (and i mean NONE), no movies--anything...and it's worth it!!

Just hate coming back.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

About 150-200 for my Mom, Niece, Nephew and Sparky. Niece and Nephew each get 20$ gift (something purty from toys r us) and the rest is between Mom & Sparkles.

ETA : +20$ for a secret santa I join every year with my friends family.
    Last edited by Brandy Hunter; Fri, Nov 16th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am trying to keep the whole thing under $500 but it is hard because my husband and I wait until Christmas to buy ourselves things that we would otherwise not buy (ie- our tv and car stereo are broken).
    Start your savings with Ing direct orange key: 14063041S1

Have you tried swagbucks? http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/sciotti

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I know parents who open up RESP GIC or just reg. GIC as a X'Mas present for their kids ..they will get them when they go to college or university and fund some of their education
    newbiesaver and coupon girl like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

i have 5 people to buy for my mom -2 kids and their spouses (we dont buy for each other hubby and i)- i try to spend 200.00 to 250.00 on the sets of kids-100 on my mom-maybe around 600-700 at xmas of course throw in house hostess gifts ,hairdresser-each year i have spent a little less thanks to smart canucks-the kids will get free show passes from icoke this year etc-every thing is paid for from cash or debit before xmas day
    Last edited by coupon girl; Sun, Nov 18th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I know parents who open up RESP GIC or just reg. GIC as a X'Mas present for their kids ..they will get them when they go to college or university and fund some of their education
    I even see them doing something like that for Birth Day presents etc

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good question...I prefer the Boxing Day...It fell ridiculous to me to paid something expensive when 4 days later they will have it cheaper..

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by itchy54 View Post
    Our only child will receive a check for $1000, this is not the norm but we received a generous pre-inheritance....I know he will be THRILLED. We are taking ourselves on a month long holiday to Mexico for December....it's our annual Christmas/Anniversary gift and a reminder to ourselves how much we appreciate each other. This is the sixth year of doing this after a very close brush with death when I was 49...very scary. We save and work hard all year to fund this adventure....no dinners out (and i mean NONE), no movies--anything...and it's worth it!!

Just hate coming back.
    I understand you so much about what you said...I lost my beloved mother in 2007...She was 57 years old...I was 22 years old...I hate the holliday time because she is not there and its not the same thing...I do have a familly...but it is not the same...First year of Christmas I was sick because of that..And now I do prefer to watch some favorite movies with good food and goodies and not think about that because it so difficult....So glad you are still alive and have the chance to cheers up with yours kids ...the most important..money just dont replace those persons lol...
    lilo0003 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information