User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: So How much are you planning to spend this X'Mas on gifts ?

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

this year ours is 1200. Which is kinda high, but DH and I got ourselves a snow blower which we opened early after the last snow storm
    KJH likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I get many gifty things from Shoppers Drug Mart with points - usually will gift a redemption ($170 or $200) close to Christmas to my mother - this I did last year (worth $250 and she was delighted).

I give to charity using SDM points too -this year my workplace is giving gift back packs to teens who don't live at home and I offered to provide a full SDM redemption worth of stuff - personal care items, etc.

Plus my excellent friends and my work manager either get Gift Cards, homemade gifts (jams, wines, hot chocolate on a spoon, christmas cookies).

I have not offically started my shopping yet. My kids are 13 and 16 and love to get cold hard cash to buy what they want; but 2 years ago that is exactly what we did and they complained on Christmas Day about having so few gifts to open. I can't win, can I?

Maybe we can post after December 25th?
    KJH likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Going to try to keep it under $400 for my family and spouses' family:
    My Parents
    His Parents
    My Two Sisters
    His Sister, bil and niece
    My grandparents and grandmother
    My little cousin

There may be some others that pop up between now and Christmas, so I have some extra gifts on hand.
    anastasia1009 likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I have my sister and parents to shop for still but am aiming for $100 or less this year...I have my dad's gift already picked out and it will cost me $15 tops with tax but he will love it I know he will so just have my sister and mom to shop for. My sisters is a bit harder since she just had a birthday and I got her something awesome and now am out of ideas! I'm also doing some vegan baking which hopefully she will appreciate since I know our mom won't bake anything like that for her...I'm thinking truffles right now after seeing that holiday baking thread
    Abby5, coupon girl and KJH like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

KJH
    Male
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I'm not spending much this year my wife had her hrs at her job cut more than 1/2. We think the place is closing but no one has heard.
    coupon girl likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

In gifts, probably around $1000 for my husband, 2 kids, dad, dad's girlfriend, 2 nieces, a nephew, daycare provider, daycare provider's kids, daycare kids, and a few coworkers...my husband is responsible for shopping for his dad, stepmother, and sister. Some of my costs will be reduced with Optimum points. The value of the gifts is probably more than double the dollar amount, as I tend to shop all year, buying most gifts at about 70% off. This also has the benefit of spreading out the financial impact! Still, it adds up... when I walk through stores at this time of year, I feel a little bit sick as I think about what all those gifts would cost me if I had to buy them right now. Makes me want to avoid the stores until bonus redemption! I really don't know how people do it.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    In gifts, probably around $1000 for my husband, 2 kids, dad, dad's girlfriend, 2 nieces, a nephew, daycare provider, daycare provider's kids, daycare kids, and a few coworkers...my husband is responsible for shopping for his dad, stepmother, and sister. Some of my costs will be reduced with Optimum points. The value of the gifts is probably more than double the dollar amount, as I tend to shop all year, buying most gifts at about 70% off. This also has the benefit of spreading out the financial impact! Still, it adds up... when I walk through stores at this time of year, I feel a little bit sick as I think about what all those gifts would cost me if I had to buy them right now. Makes me want to avoid the stores until bonus redemption! I really don't know how people do it.
    Maybe the boxing day will help..But yes if you have an idea what the people want always a good idea to shop all year long and reduce the financial impact...of those credit card after christmas full...I still dont get why people does that.
    coupon girl likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

In my familly at least the last 10 years.We where focused on the good food(thing we eat at special occasion and the pleasure to be togheter watching tv discuss and maybe 1 or 2 gifts) (gifts was where we are child or baby lol toy!!!)

Went we go in familly we always do games with gifts...but they are like 1,2,or 3$ dollorama gifts and we always have pleasure..I got goods things for my appart the first year lol
    Last edited by cath007; Wed, Nov 28th, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
    emg likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

BF and I are splitting a snowboarding trip together.
    Hotel: $210.00 (at a Fairmont -- I have a staff discount there )
    Gas: Free (my roommate fills my car with his work gas card)
    Lift Passes: $240.00
    Food: $100

At Most $300 spent on each other. And we get to snowboard two days together in the mountains, how awesome is that?
    I have also pooled with some sisters and a cousin for my Grandma this year. She doesn't tend to get big gifts from her grandchildren so when she jokingly told me she wanted this $300 leather jacket from Danier, I was willing to surprise her with a gift card myself but luckily the others came in on it with me.
    Also got my mom auto-start in her car ($650 later...).
    And spent roughly $75 on each of my 5 siblings and my father.

I spent a lot however I don't do this every year and this year I was able to, so why not give back to those that have given to you. Family is what it is all about but it's nice to receive a wrapped package once in a blue moon!
    coupon girl and lilo0003 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

We're spending about $500-800. I don't have kids, but buy gifts for parents, siblings and in-laws. I also needed to buy for husband's boss, husband's secretary, and hostess gifts for the people that are hosting parties. This doesn't include the gas to drive around and see everyone.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I didn't set a budget .. only 4 ppl to buy for. parents, hubby and 2 kids. i spent more on hubby as he's really been so there for me this year. spent about $200 on him. the kids $50 for each including stuffers. and parents is simple package of multi box kleenex and scratch tickets.. $30 they don't need much at 80. in addition i've made some treats and will hand out a few treat trays to some neighbors.
    lighthousejen likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I spent about $400.00 on gifts. It would be interesting to continue this thread from what we planned to spend to what we actually spent!
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Sat, Dec 29th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
    matrix82 likes this.

Men Coupon Too!
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I didn't separate gifts from travel expenses (except gas) like breakfast, lunch, booze, etc, while visiting families, but I'm thinking I spent ~$600 on gifts, and $200 on food/booze.. all shared of course Me and wife spent ~$150 on each other, and then the rest on our assortment of families.

On that note, it's time to start saving for next Christmas! Decide how much you want to spend next Christmas, divide by 12, and viola, easy monthly payment so the cash is ready come Christmastime

I'll be putting $75/month towards Christmas
    Last edited by GoStumpy; Sat, Dec 29th, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Abby5 and thriftygranny like this.
    www.youneedynab.com
    - Stop dreading the word 'Budget', and start enjoying budgeting! -

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoStumpy View Post
    I didn't separate gifts from travel expenses (except gas) like breakfast, lunch, booze, etc, while visiting families, but I'm thinking I spent ~$600 on gifts, and $200 on food/booze.. all shared of course Me and wife spent ~$150 on each other, and then the rest on our assortment of families.

On that note, it's time to start saving for next Christmas! Decide how much you want to spend next Christmas, divide by 12, and viola, easy monthly payment so the cash is ready come Christmastime

I'll be putting $75/month towards Christmas
    Very smart idea

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

I am putting away $5 or $10 a week plus any money and (expiry less) gift cards I get from rebates for next Christmas. I am aiming to save $700 in cash and gc, plus I will have my optimum points as well.
    Abby5 and csaund21 like this.
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information