User Tag List

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    117 (100%)

If anyone likes the look of the vintage blue Ball jars, it's their 100th anniversary this year and have re-released the 1pt size. I haven't seen them in stores, but they are available online in Ball's store.

Also, for anyone needing some canning supplies for the upcoming season, tomorrow's CT scratch promo is a great time to get some cheap jars.

Does anyone on here have and of the Weck jars? Or Le Parfait? I have some vintage Le Parfait and I'm wondering where the best place for replacement rubber rings is.

Happy Canning/Storing!
    gourmetsue likes this.
    Support your Starbucks habit like me.Free Starbucks Gift Cards!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbs View Post
    not quite a canning question, but has anyone made homemade fermented saurkraut?

I've bought a lovely version at the health food stores that contains cabbage, carrots & ginger, but it would be so much cheaper to make my own.
    My grandma used to make saurkraut! My Mom has many memories of the whole house smelling like it. She still has Grandma's big Crock that is used for fermenting the cabbage. If you go onto youtube and put fermenting saurkraut into the search there are many tutorials. Here is a link to a canning website. http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe...51.php?pid=496. Please make sure to educate yourself in canning procedures so you have a good result and a safe end product.
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MDellen View Post
    If anyone likes the look of the vintage blue Ball jars, it's their 100th anniversary this year and have re-released the 1pt size. I haven't seen them in stores, but they are available online in Ball's store.

Also, for anyone needing some canning supplies for the upcoming season, tomorrow's CT scratch promo is a great time to get some cheap jars.

Does anyone on here have and of the Weck jars? Or Le Parfait? I have some vintage Le Parfait and I'm wondering where the best place for replacement rubber rings is.

Happy Canning/Storing!
    I have tons of the gem jars. I love them. Canadian Tire sells the rubber rings for them and they also sell the snap ring conversions with snap lids as well. I have a few dozen of the rings and i store them with the rings off. The only problem I have come across is they are more fussy then a regular rim or wide rim. Every seal failure I have had has been a result of using the gems. They require a little more tightening but you can get them too tight and have the jar burst. I talked to a guy that cans in the USA and he uses the rubber rings with the glass tops and rims and even pressure cans with them. It is really a matter of preference.

Happy Canning to you too!!!
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

For those that can this is just a heads up. This week after easter RCSS still has their turkeys on sale for .97lb. They will not be on sale until october for this price so you may want to stock up. We use turkey instead of chicken on a regular basis. Normally i have been raw packing my turkey but I am going to try a batch that is precooked and cut into cubes and packed in broth i make from the bones. I am trying it this way because it can be dipped into a batter and fried to make chicken balls or even chicken strips depending on how you spice up the batter. I have been making lots of items from my canned foods.... my goal is 3 things... getting items at the lowest cost and preserving them... making it so you can't tell the food is canned.... and making it be some of the best tasting items we have had. So far it is working great... I can't wait to try some turkey cesar lunch wraps.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Wow, this thread is awesome. So many flavour ideas and tips.
    I just canned my very first jam a few weeks ago- nectarine and mango. I have so much more to learn!

Trading Score
    272 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    For those that can this is just a heads up. This week after easter RCSS still has their turkeys on sale for .97lb. They will not be on sale until october for this price so you may want to stock up. We use turkey instead of chicken on a regular basis. Normally i have been raw packing my turkey but I am going to try a batch that is precooked and cut into cubes and packed in broth i make from the bones. I am trying it this way because it can be dipped into a batter and fried to make chicken balls or even chicken strips depending on how you spice up the batter. I have been making lots of items from my canned foods.... my goal is 3 things... getting items at the lowest cost and preserving them... making it so you can't tell the food is canned.... and making it be some of the best tasting items we have had. So far it is working great... I can't wait to try some turkey cesar lunch wraps.
    Yummm... turkey caesar wraps sound great! Is the turkey frozen or raw? My biggest thing is to have the room in the fridge to thaw it!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NickiB View Post
    Yummm... turkey caesar wraps sound great! Is the turkey frozen or raw? My biggest thing is to have the room in the fridge to thaw it!
    If you don't have room in your fridge a cooler for camping works great. I fill it with room temp water and put the turkey in it. I bleach the cooler and rinse it out before and after I do this.
    operabob, gourmetsue and EricsMom like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It is here... canning season is here in full force. I right now have Strawberry rhubarb pie filling processing on the stove! I am doing a vid fumbles and all of it.... it is the best strawberry rhubarb pie filling i have EVER had.... yum! I will post the vid after i get it up on my youtube channel.... as soon as the pie filling is done i am starting a version of dulce de leche on the cheap. Even with sugar it will cost around .25 cents a jar!
    operabob and gourmetsue like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

cheekysaver - can't wait to see the video!! I'd like to make some too!!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

I saw the vintage Blue jars at Michaels this past weekend if anyone is looking for them. They sold them individually as well as in a case of 12 jars. Looked pretty!!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I saw the blue jars recently at one of the grocery stores too.
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twoboysandtwogirls View Post
    cheekysaver - can't wait to see the video!! I'd like to make some too!!
    Well i had a world of mess ups but the vid is completely worth sharing... only because this stuff is soooooooo good i had to take a lil personal moment after tasting the stuff left in the pot! This stuff is insanely good!
    operabob and gourmetsue like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbs View Post
    I saw the blue jars recently at one of the grocery stores too.
    They often have those 50% off one item non sale item coupons too... if they are not on sale there are still good deals to be found.
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Ok here we go... here is a link to me making strawberry rhubarb pie filling. I spectacularly suck at filming but the full recipe is in the comment section at the bottom. (I don't get paid on my youtube channel in ANY way, nor do I ever want to... mine is all about sharing money saving ideas and teenie tiny! ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJx2...ature=youtu.be

I will get better at the vids in time.

Here is a pic (the recipe is posted below the pic)
    Name:  100_2021.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  86.8 KB
    Best Ever Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Filling

10 cups of strawberries washed and sliced
    4 1/2 cups of rhubarb washed and sliced
    3 1/2 cups of water
    2 1/2 cups of sugar
    1 cup of clear jel
    1/3 cup of bottled lemon juice (it has to be bottled here)
    Blanch just the rhubarb for 1 min and strain and set aside.
    Add sugar to the pot then the clear gel and stir them together to prevent clumping.
    Add the water and whisk it together and turn on the heat. Once it is thickened add the lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Don't worry about any beads or lumps. they stir in smooth so just keep stirring until it is.. Add all the fruit and take it off the heat and jar it up one jar at a time. Wipe the rim with damp clean paper towel then put a lid on the jar and a ring and tighten. Do not place the jars in the canner until all of the jars are filled and have lids and rings on them as the clear jel doesn't like long slow temps and your pie filling can become runny. (Thanks imstillworking for teaching me that!)
    Put the jars in the canner and once the water comes to a full rolling boil time it for 30 mins. If your over 1000 feet you will require a altitude adjustment. Mine was 10 minutes.
    Once your processing time is done turn off the canner and let it rest for 5 mins with the jars in the water. Then remove and place the jars on a heat proof surface that protects your counter and the jars. Leave the jars for 24 hours then take the rings off and wash the jars ... label them and date them and put them away.

Here is a altitude adjustment charthttp://www.bernardin.ca/pages/why_is_...

Here is a side note, If you are working with frozen rhubarb do NOT blanch the rhubarb, it will turn to mush. Rhubarb is a delicate veg that softens quickly. The blanching just helps remove air out of the rhubarb and that is taken care of when it defrosts.

Show less

Last edited by cheekysaver; Thu, Jul 4th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Now I am off to work on the dulce de leche!... I can't wait to see what YOU guys have been making!
    operabob, Angela273 and gourmetsue like this.

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread Information