User Tag List

Page 18 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    in the coupon section there is a printable coupon for pectin... buy one get one! Here is the link
    http://couponscanada.smartcanucks.ca...-coupon-canada << That will be a amazing deal when they go on discount in a month or 2!!!
    is this just as good as certo? thanks also where is the usa site for recipies. I love to get your pie recipies and or everyone elses preserving ones too.
    cheekysaver likes this.
    Coin Out:
    https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=MZC6CYR

Still paying with PayPal
    http://superpay.me/members/withdraw/list.php?ref=Truckerswife2

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Hi there, I made Bumbleberry Jam:

Attachment 190794

Here is the recipe that I used:

http://www.kraftcanada.com/assets/pd...Crystal_EN.pdf
    I love all of the pictures! It all looks very tasty! I canned enough jam last year that I am good for a couple years! Except the lemon curd... i just love that stuff and it has a shorter shelf life.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Horndogg View Post
    is this just as good as certo? thanks also where is the usa site for recipies. I love to get your pie recipies and or everyone elses preserving ones too.
    First here is the national center for home food preservation's website (it is the usa site) http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/pu...ions_usda.html

Now when it comes to the certo vs bernardin, I have noticed no difference at all. Bernardin is the same company as Ball and they are considered to be the safe and proper way to can. They stake their whole biz on the reputation to provide safe and good products. I never worry about buying their stuff. The coupon does say one per customer so you might have to run through the till a few times to have a good stock. The pectin that is dry is usually good for 3 years.
    bluerose and Horndogg like this.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

I'm starting some next week. I usually do different fruit jams (berry my fave) , pickles, pickled spicy carrots/onions, tomatoes and i'll probably try more stuff with all these great ideas !

How do you use dehydrated fruit and dehydrated everything ?? and how long does it keep ?

Can you can homemade soup or do the noodles go soggy ?

How long do homemade cans keep ? Does it depend on what's inside ?
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tasha313 View Post
    I'm starting some next week. I usually do different fruit jams (berry my fave) , pickles, pickled spicy carrots/onions, tomatoes and i'll probably try more stuff with all these great ideas !

How do you use dehydrated fruit and dehydrated everything ?? and how long does it keep ?

Can you can homemade soup or do the noodles go soggy ?

How long do homemade cans keep ? Does it depend on what's inside ?
    Ok first the fruit and veggies. When it comes to fruit often it needs to be dipped in lemon juice to prevent it from going brown during the process. It all gets sliced to about 1/4 inch thick and layed on the tray and you turn it on the setting your dehydrating manufacture suggests. If you got a dehydrator at a yard sale you can look up the manual online. When it comes to veg soft things like peppers rehydrate really well... other things like corn and carrots and celery and onion require a blanche or they are very hard to reconstitute.
    Frozen veggies dehydrate perfectly. I don't recommend doing peas... they don't come back right LOL. Cauliflower turns brown and it is normal... it reconstitutes to white. Broccoli is supposed to smell to high heaven. You might want to do broccoli outside... i have heard it is that bad!

As for canning noodles and rice ... it is not at all a recommended practice. They not only go soggy they thicken the soup and may make it thick enough that the heat will not penetrate to the center of your jars... making it go bad. Just store some pasta or rice and make the soup and add it in when you heat up the soup.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Sorry i missed the how long do cans keep... in a cool dry dark place they last up to 3 years for most things. Things like lemon curd are the exception. It is recommended you eat those in 3 to 6 months.

If you have canned peaches or fruit that is 3 years old you simply dehydrate it... the fruit then tastes like candy.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Sorry i missed the how long do cans keep... in a cool dry dark place they last up to 3 years for most things. Things like lemon curd are the exception. It is recommended you eat those in 3 to 6 months.

If you have canned peaches or fruit that is 3 years old you simply dehydrate it... the fruit then tastes like candy.
    great idea about dehydrating older canned product!

I've been told 3 years for things before, but all the canning jar companies say one year?? I know my grandparents would have used their canned foods for more than 3 years... I don't usually do more than we can consume in about 18 months with the exception of 2 jars of antipasto that I canned about 4 years ago now. I'm too chicken to eat it but too frugal (hoarder??) to throw it away.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Im new to this thread and i loved reading all the posts here. ive been pickling for years but not to the extent that ive seen some people do here. The kids have grown up and left so my pickling has Fallen off quite a lot, but last year i had a really bad urge to make a pile of stuff. I did Peach Freezer Jam (which is great also in fruit bar recipes), Strawberry/rhubard jam, marinated green peppers, marinated sweet red peppers, marinated mushrooms; mixed market pickles (broccoli, cauliflower, onions, red & green peppers; bread & butter pickles, marinated green cherry tomatoes, lots and lots of pickled beets, mustard pickles and of course chutney. The only things left are 2 jars of mixed market pickles and marinated sweet peppers. I wish peeps would print the recipes that go with the pictures!
    Last edited by SnowFlakey; Sun, Aug 18th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
    cheekysaver and RSAS like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RSAS View Post
    great idea about dehydrating older canned product!

I've been told 3 years for things before, but all the canning jar companies say one year?? I know my grandparents would have used their canned foods for more than 3 years... I don't usually do more than we can consume in about 18 months with the exception of 2 jars of antipasto that I canned about 4 years ago now. I'm too chicken to eat it but too frugal (hoarder??) to throw it away.
    Within a year is optimal however the food in the jars is still good. After 3 years it starts to change color and looses quality. Some people with over 20 years experience say 3-5 years. The government websites say not to do many things that we do... like... you can can milk. If you have tons in the fridge you can put it in pint sized jars and give it 15 mins in a pressure canner and greatly increase your shelf life. Canning butter is another one of those items... you can also make your own clarified butter and can it. The government web sites recommend you don't do those things at all. Really when opening a can you look at it... if it looks ok that is a good start... then you check the seal.... if that is ok your doing great... then you pop the seal and smell it... if it smells good your good to go. (once i saw a lady open up a 10 year old jar that was just fine! Just make sure if it is a snap lid to store them with the rings off.)

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Ok first the fruit and veggies. When it comes to fruit often it needs to be dipped in lemon juice to prevent it from going brown during the process. It all gets sliced to about 1/4 inch thick and layed on the tray and you turn it on the setting your dehydrating manufacture suggests. If you got a dehydrator at a yard sale you can look up the manual online. When it comes to veg soft things like peppers rehydrate really well... other things like corn and carrots and celery and onion require a blanche or they are very hard to reconstitute.
    Frozen veggies dehydrate perfectly. I don't recommend doing peas... they don't come back right LOL. Cauliflower turns brown and it is normal... it reconstitutes to white. Broccoli is supposed to smell to high heaven. You might want to do broccoli outside... i have heard it is that bad!

As for canning noodles and rice ... it is not at all a recommended practice. They not only go soggy they thicken the soup and may make it thick enough that the heat will not penetrate to the center of your jars... making it go bad. Just store some pasta or rice and make the soup and add it in when you heat up the soup.
    Thank you !!! I had no idea for the soups ill look into dehydrating , but you use the veggies and fruit just the same after .. Maybe I'm slow but I don't get it lol
    cheekysaver likes this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

This recipe was given to me by a little old French Canadian lady about 20 years ago. Simply delicious!

MARINATED MUSHROOMS

3 CUPS VINEGAR

1 CUP WATER

2 CUPS SUGAR

2 TBSPS TABLE SALT

2 TSPS PEPPER

1 TSP CELERY SALT

2 TSPS DRIED MUSTARD

2 TSPS OREGANO

1 GREEN PEPPER

2 COARSLY CHOPPED ONIONS

HEAD OF GARLIC

1 KILO SMALL MUSHROOMS (8
    OF THOSE BLUE CONTAINERS OR MORE)

MIX VINEGAR, WATER, SUGAR,
    SALT, PEPPER, CELERY SALT, DRIED MUSTARD AND OREGANO IN LARGE POT.
    BOIL FOR 5 MINUTES.

ADD CHOPPED GREEN PEPPER
    AND CHOPPED ONIONS. BOIL FOR 3 MINUTES.

ADD THE MUSHROOMS AND THE
    GARLIC. BOIL FOR ANOTHER TWO MINUTES. THE MUSHROOMS WILL SHRINK A
    BIT.

PACK INTO HOT STERILIZED
    JARS AND SEAL. STORE IN COOL DARK PLACE.
    Kitty77 and cheekysaver like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Within a year is optimal however the food in the jars is still good. After 3 years it starts to change color and looses quality. Some people with over 20 years experience say 3-5 years. The government websites say not to do many things that we do... like... you can can milk. If you have tons in the fridge you can put it in pint sized jars and give it 15 mins in a pressure canner and greatly increase your shelf life. Canning butter is another one of those items... you can also make your own clarified butter and can it. The government web sites recommend you don't do those things at all. Really when opening a can you look at it... if it looks ok that is a good start... then you check the seal.... if that is ok your doing great... then you pop the seal and smell it... if it smells good your good to go. (once i saw a lady open up a 10 year old jar that was just fine! Just make sure if it is a snap lid to store them with the rings off.)
    Wait, wait... rings off? I've always left them on. Is that not the right thing to do? I thought it was optional?

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RSAS View Post
    Wait, wait... rings off? I've always left them on. Is that not the right thing to do? I thought it was optional?
    Some leave the rings on and i never do. It is optional... and if you are using your jars within a year your probably good... this is why i went with the rings off option. When you have jars with the rings on and you take them off do you EVER see rust on the edge of the lid or the ring?... i am betting you do sometimes. The rust can wreck the lid and compromise your seal... especially on jars you have had for over a year in storage. The deterioration of the lid can cause a seal failure and ruin product. When the ring is OFF you not only make your storage time longer you stop the ring from rusting prematurely. You also can purchase less rings in the future. Now if your using the jars with the rubber ring and the glass lid, then you have to leave the rings on. In some instances people have had leakes or had jars exposed to high moisture and the rust from the ring and the rust from the lid can weld together. Short of punching a hole through the lid you will never get it open and you have lost product and a jar and a ring. Really you have to choose what is right for you... my Dad insists Mom stores their jars with the ring on incase something goes bad. I have no experience with the tattler lids so i am not sure if they get stored rings on or off... i would assume rings on is just fine and perhaps prefered because the lid is plastic with a rubber reuseable gasket.
    RSAS likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tasha313 View Post
    Thank you !!! I had no idea for the soups ill look into dehydrating , but you use the veggies and fruit just the same after .. Maybe I'm slow but I don't get it lol
    Last fall i dehydrated a crap ton of produce... in the winter i used it in soup, Stews, a mexican shepherd's pie, turkey with stuffing from canned turkey (soooo good) Fajitas, regular shepherd's pie, I made onion powder from my dehydrated onions... yes you sure can do that... and so many other dishes.... The perk was i got all my produce at the lowest price of the year and ate off that price all winter long... we still have some left and it is time to dehydrate more. The fruit comes out like a tasty sweet treat. The fruit just gets eaten right out of your hand... unless you do bananas... then you can rehydrate them and mash them up to use them in banana bread... without the smell of bananas in your freezer! I like to get the bananas with brown spots and dry those up when they are on discount dirt cheap!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    This recipe was given to me by a little old French Canadian lady about 20 years ago. Simply delicious!

MARINATED MUSHROOMS

3 CUPS VINEGAR

1 CUP WATER

2 CUPS SUGAR

2 TBSPS TABLE SALT

2 TSPS PEPPER

1 TSP CELERY SALT

2 TSPS DRIED MUSTARD

2 TSPS OREGANO

1 GREEN PEPPER

2 COARSLY CHOPPED ONIONS

HEAD OF GARLIC

1 KILO SMALL MUSHROOMS (8
    OF THOSE BLUE CONTAINERS OR MORE)

MIX VINEGAR, WATER, SUGAR,
    SALT, PEPPER, CELERY SALT, DRIED MUSTARD AND OREGANO IN LARGE POT.
    BOIL FOR 5 MINUTES.

ADD CHOPPED GREEN PEPPER
    AND CHOPPED ONIONS. BOIL FOR 3 MINUTES.

ADD THE MUSHROOMS AND THE
    GARLIC. BOIL FOR ANOTHER TWO MINUTES. THE MUSHROOMS WILL SHRINK A
    BIT.

PACK INTO HOT STERILIZED
    JARS AND SEAL. STORE IN COOL DARK PLACE.
    Yum... that looks great i think i will try it! Thanks for sharing!

Page 18 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread Information