User Tag List

Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    I used to make my own Hot Dog Relish way back when. Lately ive been hankering for the taste of this fantastic hot dog Relish so i dug up my old recipe. Hope you enjoy it as much as we all did. It's worth taking the time to make this.

HOT DOG RELISH

5 cups ground cucumbers
    3 cups ground onions
    3 cups ground celery
    2 hot red peppers, ground (or to taste)
    2 sweet red peppers, ground
    3/4 cup pickling or coarse salt
    7 cups water
    5 cups white vinegar
    3 cups sugar
    2 tsps mustard seed
    2 tbsps celery seed

To grind vegetables, put them through a meat grinder, process until finely chopped in a food processor or chop into small pieces by hand.

Combine vegetables, add salt and water and mix well to dissolve salt. Cover and leave overnight. Drain thoroughly. (I placed the drained vegetables in a cheesecloth bat and squeeze to extract a little more liquid.)

Heat vinegar, sugar, mustard and celery seed to boiling. Add vegetables, bring to a boil, cook slowly for 10 minutes.

Pour in hot, sterilized, preserving jars to one eighth inch from the sealing edge. Seal immediately with a metal lid and sealing band. Process in a boiling-water bath 15 minutes for pints and half-pints.

Makes about 4 pints.
    That sounds really yummy!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RSAS View Post
    I have a question... My mom picked me up a whole pile of jars at a garage sale and they have glass lids with rubber seals on them. I know I can just use the metal lids, but was wondering how does one actually use the glass ones? How do you know if they are sealed?
    Give me a few minutes i will do a quick vid on those jars... i have them and i use them and I can explain the safe way to use them.
    itsmewhoelse and RSAS like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    Im looking for a good pear canning recipe, Something tried and true. Im going to an apple orchard on Labour Day weekend to pick pears, so if anyone has an easy recipe, can you pass it along please.
    Mom used the ball blue book's recipe and it worked great. You absolutely need the citric acid or fruit fresh and it is important to follow any blanching the recipe gives you. Blanching releases the air out of the fruit and that helps stop it from browning after it is canned. Here is a vid for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDtpM4LmTw8 (i give you the link so you go right to the channel... she is just amazing and always puts a link to the recipe up.)
    bluerose and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    Made some apple jelly,some apple sauce and some apple slices to freeze for pies.
    Attachment 191603
    Fuuny thing I made 2 batches of apple jelly the 1st was with mostly apple cores and skins with a few apples thrown in for good luck and the 2nd batch was made with apples cut into quarters and the two jellies where completely differant. the 2nd jellied faster but was cloudy . I prefer the 1st batch.
    Attachment 191604
    That is so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Just because RSAS asked... boy did i do this in a rush... 2 mins to make a vid ... half hour to upload LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYn54z9VbY4
    RSAS and tobiwobi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    Just because RSAS asked... boy did i do this in a rush... 2 mins to make a vid ... half hour to upload LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYn54z9VbY4
    Thanks cheekysaver!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RSAS View Post
    Thanks cheekysaver!
    Your very welcome!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Tomorrow Mom and I are starting some bread and butter pickles. The very same kid that likes my salsa (it is about a med heat) has trouble with my pickled peppers... and i cut in a bunch of red pepper rings that were mild.. the combo of jalapeno and regular peppers made a mild pepper.... now i am making bread and butter pickles and she is requesting i put a hot pepper in each one.....LOL she is such a girl! I am going to follow this recipe... just on a smaller scale. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL2mah7Hn-w

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

Hi everyone, I made "Icicle Pickles" - my neighbors recipe from the Prairies:

Here is the recipe:

Icicle Pickles

6 medium field cucumbers or 4 English cucumbers
    3 small onions (thinly sliced)
    1 green pepper (cut in strips)
    1 red pepper (cut in strips)
    1/4 cup course pickling salt
    2 cups Heinz cider vinegar
    2 cups granulated sugar
    2 teaspoon celery seed
    2 teaspoons mustard seed
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Instructions

Cut cucumbers into strips (removing most of the seeds). Combine in a large bowl with onions, peppers & salt. Soak in ice water for 3 hours. Add more ice as it melts. Drain well.

In a large saucepan combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil - simmer for five minutes. Add veges and return to boil.

Pack in hot sterilized jars - covering vegetables with liquid - seal. Makes about 3 pints.

Name:  Icicle Pickles.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  28.3 KB
    Last edited by Mystic; Wed, Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
    cheekysaver likes this.
    Join Swagbucks - I've earned $150.00 so far!!
    "If you can dream it - you can do it"

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Hi everyone, I made "Icicle Pickles" - my neighbors recipe from the Prairies:

Here is the recipe:

Icicle Pickles

6 medium field cucumbers or 4 English cucumbers
    3 small onions (thinly sliced)
    1 green pepper (cut in strips)
    1 red pepper (cut in strips)
    1/4 cup course pickling salt
    2 cups Heinz cider vinegar
    2 cups granulated sugar
    2 teaspoon celery seed
    2 teaspoons mustard seed
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Instructions

Cut cucumbers into strips (removing most of the seeds). Combine in a large bowl with onions, peppers & salt. Soak in ice water for 3 hours. Add more ice as it melts. Drain well.

In a large saucepan combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil - simmer for five minutes. Add veges and return to boil.

Pack in hot sterilized jars - covering vegetables with liquid - seal. Makes about 3 pints.

Name:  Icicle Pickles.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  28.3 KB
    Those look so yummy and pretty! Thanks so much for sharing! (for anyone who is scared to can without a water bath process pickles tend to get water bathed for 10 minutes. That 10 minutes is not enough to kill everything inside... but the vinegar sure is... the ten minutes just helps with the sealing process.) Canning without a water bath for pickles is a old school method... just pick the method your most comfortable with.
    Mystic and tobiwobi like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I so over did it today canning... so did my mom. We canned 36lbs of peaches... Mom got 16 cans of pie filling... i got 9 quarts of peaches plus a half pint... then we sliced the cukes and salted them to bring out the moisture.... then we canned up some hot pickled peppers... I assume they will be hot as heck... Mom did 8 pints with mixed peppers in them... including 6 purple ghost peppers in the mix... needless to say as pretty as they are... there is no way i am going to be eating those puppies! I don't think my Dad will have any trouble keeping people out of his pickled peppers! I will take pics tomorrow when we have finished the bread and butter pickles!
    RSAS likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Ok so I left a message about the butter pickles on the youtube channel... The guy (who is a chef) writes back and wants pics of the finished product! Ok that kind of freaked me out a bit... chef's always say you eat with the eyes first so i carefully arranged the pickles in the jars in patterns so they will look nice for the pics. I am just to for the most part just stuffing the jar and snapping off pics for you guys... to me your all normal people and like family... Mom was shaking her head at me for being so fussy. I guess i just wanted to do the guy right for sharing such a good recipe. The brine tastes just like store bought bread and butter pickles... tomorrow i will have pics for you... they are at Mom's cooling down.
    wendyjane and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

Thanks for sharing that video about the pickles, I watched it and I really like how simple he made the process look.

I watched your video too Cheeky and you did a good job!!
    cheekysaver likes this.
    Join Swagbucks - I've earned $150.00 so far!!
    "If you can dream it - you can do it"

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks so much... Sometimes I don't think things through all the way... who does a personal couponing challenge during prime canning season during the couponing summer drought?... LOL Still I am getting it all done thanks to everyone's great posts on here and thanks to my canning buddy! (My Mom is my canning buddy.... canning with someone is twice as rewarding and is highly recommended)

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Cheeky can you explain what you mean by cucumbers/ no water bath and 10 min bath - do u mean 10 min I'm boiling water?

I just today did my 1 st batch of cucumbers ever! And I followed the recipe and it just said sterilize jars and lids, drop stuff in, put lids on and put everything in fridge. I did this and didn't get the lids to seal/pop so does that mean they must stay in fridge and be eaten quickly? My prior picking experience only involves water bathing beets and taking them out and watching the lids pop and seal. I thought pickles would turn to mush if I boiled them so wasn't sure.
    cheekysaver likes this.

Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread Information