User Tag List

Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Name:  IMG_00000395.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  67.7 KB

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

^^Those look very pretty! Mine are haunting me...It is still a good 2 weeks before i can pop one open!

L-M
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think this is the place to go for an answer...
    Yesterday I bought 40 lb of bananas for 11.99. They are all ready to eat right now, but you can only eat so much PB & banana sandwiches,lol. So other than banana bread, cupcakes & dehydrated, what else can I do? I did a search of this thread and banana butter by iggysbabysitter looked interesting, but no recipe.
    And thanks for ANY help...
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Ok i do dry some bananas into chips... but this is next for me to try, watch it to the end. The amish can banana bread all the time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRU3bHl2vkc
    It is supposed to last for 1 year!
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

wow some awesome canning pictures!! I didn't have time to search thru everything, but I'm hoping to find a recipe for tomato sauce (an easy one, never made it before)

This year I bought a canning starter kit (of course with the $5 printed coupon) I've done so far this year;

strawberry freezer jam (can I add here.... the strawberries this year locally were FREAKING AMAZING! best strawberries i've ever had in my life....!!)

blackberry jam (made with wild blackberries picked by hand!)

on Monday I'll be attempting the tomato sauce

I'd like to venture and do pickled beets, my mom used to make them, but I'm afraid I maybe waited too long and beets have gone out of season?? ...maybe if I have time I'll get to it, otherwise for sure next year!

Thanks for sharing everyone, keep up the hard work!! It tastes delicious i'm sure!!!
    cheekysaver likes this.
    Getting back into trading - see my Trade and Wish Lists (under 'About Me' tab)

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by L-M View Post
    Yesterday I bought 40 lb of bananas for 11.99. They are all ready to eat right now, but you can only eat so much PB & banana sandwiches,lol. So other than banana bread, cupcakes & dehydrated, what else can I do? I did a search of this thread and banana butter by iggysbabysitter looked interesting, but no recipe.
    Wow! Awesome deal! We always looked for super ripe bananas when they go on the "too ripe" produce shelf... What we do is peel all the bananas and then put them in freezer bags, kind of lay them out in the bag so they don't freeze in one big bunch (lol) and then put them in the deep freeze. We usually use them for smoothies (just throw in 1-2 frozen bananas, they make it super creamy and cold, no ice needed), or I just thaw them in the microwave for any baking ie. muffins or bread.
    Angela273, cheekysaver and L-M like this.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nessa23 View Post
    wow some awesome canning pictures!! I didn't have time to search thru everything, but I'm hoping to find a recipe for tomato sauce (an easy one, never made it before)

This year I bought a canning starter kit (of course with the $5 printed coupon) I've done so far this year;

strawberry freezer jam (can I add here.... the strawberries this year locally were FREAKING AMAZING! best strawberries i've ever had in my life....!!)

blackberry jam (made with wild blackberries picked by hand!)

on Monday I'll be attempting the tomato sauce

I'd like to venture and do pickled beets, my mom used to make them, but I'm afraid I maybe waited too long and beets have gone out of season?? ...maybe if I have time I'll get to it, otherwise for sure next year!

Thanks for sharing everyone, keep up the hard work!! It tastes delicious i'm sure!!!
    Mom throws all her tomatoes whole into a stock pot with a little water... not much at all tho and fires it up... she cooks the tomatoes on low simmer for 3 or 4 hours with garlic and onions and hits it with the emersion blender and jars it up. She doesn't have to worry about salt or lemon because she runs it through the pressure canner. I have never made tomato sauce myself (i am highly allergic to them) so this may be something the other ladies can help with. Here is a tomato sauce link to Bernardin. They are the same company as Ball in the usa. http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe...51.php?pid=184
    Here is a youtube on making tomato sauce... she is the best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjv-fGSFZHc She uses something called a victorio strainer... i drool over it... but for me i would use the emersion blender instead until you have a great deal on one.
    Angela273 and nessa23 like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I was trying to nap and i remembered... MONKEY BUTTER! it uses bananas and pineapple, sugar, pinch of salt, coconut chopped fine, 3 tbsps of lemon juice (bottled only) it is a spread you can use on toast or between cakes. Here is a youtube showing you how to make it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2z5kfULzX4

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Hi, it's been a long time since I was here...
    I altered the banana butter recipe from Comapny's coming preserves book. It has bananas (4 or 6) and pinapple (I used a fresh one, cut up), lemon juice (2tbsp?), and 24 marichino cherries. Blend all in a processor, cook for 5 min, I hated the taste of the original recipe because all you could taste was sugar, I used 2 cups instead, and a no sugar pectin (using 4c sugar and regular pectin made it syrup and not jam). The way I make it is fruity, firm and very spreadable.
    I also made banana rhubarb jam...It's supposed to be equal parts banana/rhubarb, and sugar to taste (no pectin needed to suit me as they thicken up very well) But my rhubarb is naturally mostly green... so it looks very unappetizing Tastes nice, looks sick. I'd prefer to do this with a nice deep red rhubarb. I'm not sure on the shelf life on this since it's not a lot of sugar, I'm not sure if the acid from the rhubarb is strong enough, and it turns out very thick. I just updated a very old pressure canner, so I think my next batches are going to be done that way.

If you have jam/jelly that turned out not so great or simply not popular try using it in muffin batter. I had experimented with green pepper jelly... it was not well received (my red hot pepper jelly sells very well because it looks great and tastes great) so I used the jelly instead of adding sugar and used only half the oil the recipe called for. It turned out more like a dry biscuit/muffin than a breakfast muffin. Then there was the batch of rosehip jelly that didn't set... I used it as a tea base A few tbsp of the runny jelly and a cup of hot water made a nice drink. My poke berry was very runny too, we used it in ice cream.
    Last edited by iggysbabysitter; Sat, Sep 7th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
    cheekysaver, RSAS and L-M like this.

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

Hi, I just made Pickled Onions - man I will never buy store bought pickled onions again in my life, the pickled onions I made at home taste so good:

Here is a picture & the recipe:

Name:  Pickled onions.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  47.2 KB

Recipe:

2 Quarts tiny white onions - (PS 4 cups = 1 Quart)
    1/2 cup coarse pickling salt
    3 cups Heinz White Vinegar
    3 cups granulated sugar

Cover onions with cold water and peel. Sprinkle salt over peeled onions, cover and let stand overnight. Drain and rinse with cold water. Combine vinegar and sugar; bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Add onions and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Pack into hot sterilized jars, covering onions with hot liquid. Seal

Yield = 4 pints
    Last edited by Mystic; Sun, Sep 8th, 2013 at 02:45 AM.
    Join Swagbucks - I've earned $150.00 so far!!
    "If you can dream it - you can do it"

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

do the bananas go brown when you slice and freeze them???
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iggysbabysitter View Post
    Hi, it's been a long time since I was here...
    I altered the banana butter recipe from Comapny's coming preserves book. It has bananas (4 or 6) and pinapple (I used a fresh one, cut up), lemon juice (2tbsp?), and 24 marichino cherries. Blend all in a processor, cook for 5 min, I hated the taste of the original recipe because all you could taste was sugar, I used 2 cups instead, and a no sugar pectin (using 4c sugar and regular pectin made it syrup and not jam). The way I make it is fruity, firm and very spreadable.
    I also made banana rhubarb jam...It's supposed to be equal parts banana/rhubarb, and sugar to taste (no pectin needed to suit me as they thicken up very well) But my rhubarb is naturally mostly green... so it looks very unappetizing Tastes nice, looks sick. I'd prefer to do this with a nice deep red rhubarb. I'm not sure on the shelf life on this since it's not a lot of sugar, I'm not sure if the acid from the rhubarb is strong enough, and it turns out very thick. I just updated a very old pressure canner, so I think my next batches are going to be done that way.

If you have jam/jelly that turned out not so great or simply not popular try using it in muffin batter. I had experimented with green pepper jelly... it was not well received (my red hot pepper jelly sells very well because it looks great and tastes great) so I used the jelly instead of adding sugar and used only half the oil the recipe called for. It turned out more like a dry biscuit/muffin than a breakfast muffin. Then there was the batch of rosehip jelly that didn't set... I used it as a tea base A few tbsp of the runny jelly and a cup of hot water made a nice drink. My poke berry was very runny too, we used it in ice cream.
    That sounds yummy!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by WillieP View Post
    do the bananas go brown when you slice and freeze them???
    I don't slice them to freeze, just peel and pile 4 or 5 into a freezer bag (that is the right amount for my banana bread double recipe or enough smoothie for 4). If you put perfectly white bananas into a baggie, flatten and freeze, you may get a tiny bit of browning while frozen. When they thaw they brown a bit more. Brown bananas add a stronger banana flavour to cooking. I used perfectly white bananas in my rhubarb banana jam and the taste was disappointing, so I'll stick to over-ripe from now on.
    Last edited by iggysbabysitter; Sun, Sep 8th, 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Hi, I just made Pickled Onions - man I will never buy store bought pickled onions again in my life, the pickled onions I made at home taste so good:

Here is a picture & the recipe:

Name:  Pickled onions.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  47.2 KB

Recipe:

2 Quarts tiny white onions - (PS 4 cups = 1 Quart)
    1/2 cup coarse pickling salt
    3 cups Heinz White Vinegar
    3 cups granulated sugar

Cover onions with cold water and peel. Sprinkle salt over peeled onions, cover and let stand overnight. Drain and rinse with cold water. Combine vinegar and sugar; bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Add onions and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Pack into hot sterilized jars, covering onions with hot liquid. Seal

Yield = 4 pints
    Those look GREAT!!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe and the pic with us.
    macw1960 and Mystic like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wowsers! Others gave great ideas!

For freezing for smoothies, I first cut into chunks, freeze on a cookie sheet, then put in bags. Then when they are whizzed while frozen they are like using ice cubes.

Let some ripen, like you would use for baking, mush them and freeze them that way. I do mine in three banana batches, which is what my banana bread and muffin recipes use.

Make frozen banana treats! Insert stick into 1/2 banana and freeze (I find a whole one too big, plus they are easier to work with when smaller). Then dip into melted chocolate and top with coatings (I like chopped peanuts and coconut, can use sprinkles, etc.), then wrap well and freeze again.

(mine are not this fancy!)

Last edited by Natalka; Sun, Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
    harbie, Angela273, barbs and 5 others like this.

Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread Information