User Tag List

Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Could you have price matched? Although I don't see any advertised this week. Wow $15.99 that is crazy!
    hi @scouponer , NF does PM, yes, but I was not there to buy any, I was just passing through NF for one thing and saw the tomatoes and their insane price. Well I went back today as I was right near after dropping DD to class, and JUST had to speak to the produce manager myself to get to the real reason why so high of a price.
    Now I am not sure if I believe him BUT he said these are a very special kind of Roma tomato, and actually they sell for up to $20.00 a case!!

It might be this one if I remember the type of roma he said it was, but not sure.
    San Marzano

“San Marzano” tomatoes, originating from Italy, are a determinate paste variety that produces deep red fruit about 3.5 inches long. When eaten uncooked, “San Marzano” tomatoes may seem tasteless, but after cooking, both Sunset magazine and gardening expert Lee Reich agree they make the best sauce.

OR this one, they sound alike??

San Marzano Redorta

“San Marzano Redorta” tomatoes are an heirloom variety named for an Italian mountain. Not to be confused with the “San Marzano,” this cultivar produces fruit double the size of the classic paste tomato and can be eaten fresh, made into sauce or dried.

Either way, these are too rich for my blood, lol!! I'll just stick to the sale prices for regular romas, they make wonderful sauce I think.

babies teach us acceptance

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ah yep, the San Marzano are going to be more, for sure. Many canners like using San Marzano or Amish Paste, when they can get them at the right price. I just used the Roma as they were what was on offer at Loblaws and Freshco.
    walkonby, jasperandchar and dededi like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Thought I'd add my thoughts on the tomato/pricing discussion. Remember that this SC site is
    generally about deals. That's not the frame of mind that many tomato canners, and
    especially old-school Italian tomato canners, have. To them, price is secondary to quality
    of produce. Also of extreme importance is seasonal timing...it is preferable to get early
    to mid-August tomatoes, as they are believed to be 'meatier', with less water content than
    September ripened tomatoes. A few weeks ago, I took my mom to get two bushels at
    Fortino's for $17.99 each. They had a huge tent set up in the parking lot only for
    tomato bushels, the prized small sized San Marzanos. Believe it or not, they were almost
    sold out. Perfectly ripened, and with no waste, these bushels produced the optimal ratio:
    23 jars of tomato sauce per bushel.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am excited that I bought a WMF pressure cooker at Costco in August that is safe for flat top stoves. It was about $180 and these retail for significantly more.

Let my canning begin!
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Pressure cookers are different from pressure canners. I didn't know WMF made presssure canners; what WMF model is it? I searched costco.ca and a WMF model didn't come up, must be in-store only.

Is that your first pressure cooker by the way? I found that once I made the switch to pressure cooking, I wondered what the heck took me so long!
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kidsteph View Post
    I am excited that I bought a WMF pressure cooker at Costco in August that is safe for flat top stoves. It was about $180 and these retail for significantly more.

Let my canning begin!
    Sorry I agree with randal's post above. Pressure cooker can't be used for pressure canning. 2 different things. Please be careful!
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I started reading this thread last summer and getting some ideas. This year I actually followed through and made some Salsa, Pickles and peaches. Thanks for the inspiration and all of the information!!

Name:  Cans.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  43.9 KB

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

looks great! Take your canning rings off, though!
    cheekysaver, beckie.c and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just finishing up a batch of carrot fennel soup with cheap carrots, fennel and veggie broth.will do another batch tomorrow and move on to potatoes and beets. Sitting here watching the guage like a hawk...up and down up and down...need to get a jiggler!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's the Bernardin recipe, right, and you're using a Presto pressure canner? Yep the 3 piece jiggler is totally the way to go, even though the price on amazon.ca is ridiculous compared to the price on Amazon.com. I did my beets this past weekend, 55 kg of 'em, plain, pickled and relish. Waiting to see if red potatoes go on sale; I can them and use for quick potato salads.
    cheekysaver and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    That's the Bernardin recipe, right, and you're using a Presto pressure canner? Yep the 3 piece jiggler is totally the way to go, even though the price on amazon.ca is ridiculous compared to the price on Amazon.com. I did my beets this past weekend, 55 kg of 'em, plain, pickled and relish. Waiting to see if red potatoes go on sale; I can them and use for quick potato salads.
    Yep amazon.ca price is ridiculous compared to US price! Actually it is a ball recipe and yes presto canner...wanted all american but couldn't justify the price.

also bought a dehydrator but going slowly. Can't get the onions to dry have been going since Sunday afternoon.. If they aren't done in morning I may just ditch them and try something else.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Yep amazon.ca price is ridiculous compared to US price! Actually it is a ball recipe and yes presto canner...wanted all american but couldn't justify the price.

also bought a dehydrator but going slowly. Can't get the onions to dry have been going since Sunday afternoon.. If they aren't done in morning I may just ditch them and try something else.
    Have a quick look at Mrs Volfie's video, apparently blanching the peeled and chopped onions makes all the difference in drying times.

She said without blanching them the first time she did it they took 3 days to dry!

babies teach us acceptance

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    Pressure cookers are different from pressure canners. I didn't know WMF made presssure canners; what WMF model is it? I searched costco.ca and a WMF model didn't come up, must be in-store only.

Is that your first pressure cooker by the way? I found that once I made the switch to pressure cooking, I wondered what the heck took me so long!
    Thanks for setting me straight! I did not know the difference between the 2 units. Yes Costco had WMF booth selling the units.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

WMF pressure cookers look fantastic. Very jealous. I'd get one except I have two T-Fal Nutricook pressure cookers and can't justify it, darn. If I may recommend a pressure cooking site: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/ . The woman who runs it, Laura, is fantastic, really knows her stuff, is totally down to earth, always coming up with new things -- because of her, I now cook my boiled eggs and pasta in a pressure cooker. Yep. And her stuff is really healthy, she's totally light on the oil, sugar and salt. She rates WMF pressure cookers highly. I'm saving a fortune on electricity thanks to the pressure cookers -- good thing, because I have an electric stove, and in Ontario we ain't even seen the start of electricity price rises yet... I keep wondering if the rising cost of cooking fuel will make Canadians get over their aversion to pressure cookers.. it was my English rellies that convinced me to just get over it and give them a try....

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey kidsteph, I subscribe to the University of Michigan canning newsletter, and here's an article about pressure canners versus cookers (and why electric pressure cookers aren't safe for canning whatever the manufacturer says) that just arrived in my inbox:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/pressur...the_difference

Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast

Thread Information