User Tag List

Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Canned 5 pints of chicken, and 6 quarts of broth with 1/3 chicken in them to use as a chicken soup starter. Didn't want to add veggies as they are pressure canned for so long thought veggies would get too mushy. Love the jiggler thingy so much easier than watching the gauge like a hawk! Love it. Thinking about steam canning some oranges and grapefruit next week to see how that goes. Also when I was in loblaws today they had canning lids for $1.44 so I picked up a bunch. dollarama had increased the price to $2 so thought I would stock up. Now for some cheap jars, that would make me really happy! Also found the rubber rings at Canadian tire a few weeks back so bought about 7 boxes for my old crown canning jars. It took a while to clean them up and run through the dishwasher, dry all the pieces, put them back together with rubber rings, glass lids and metal rings and down into basement. Very neat old jars! Just finished sanitizing my dehydrator after dehydrating spinach and kale only to find out they were part of recall so had to do a good bleach soak just in case. What a pain in the patootie! At least I got my money back.
    If you want to make soup, there is a special reduced time so your veg don't get mooshy, but the special reduced time only applies if you follow the USDA's directions. http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/soups.html I can soup all the time and it's my single most in demand thing. Which amazes me, because I call it my garbage soup. I call it garbage soup 'cause whenever I open a jar of home canned veg, of any kind, I add the broth off it to plastic tubs in the freezer, then when I go to make my soups for canning I thaw all that and use that instead of water, and people tip the bowls up in the air and lick 'em the broth on the soups is so naturally good. And I just make it out of veg stock that most people throw down the drain. Don't worry about the rules calling for jars being only 1/2 full of solids. The reason that is, is because the solids will swell and become 3/4 of the jar, so it will be fine.

The jiggler thingy is amazing I got three of them, my prized possessions lol.

Cheap jars, good luck with that, but I think I have all I need now. About 2000 jars I reckon. If I'd had a brain, I would have bought stock in Bernardin first.

Good price on the lids. I think, I hope, I have enough Tattlers now to cover me for next canning season and the next 10 to come.

Wait, you soaked the kale and spinach in bleech, and then took them back?
    macw1960, walkonby and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No I soaked the trays in bleach after it was all done and I realized everything I dehydrated was recalled. I took the empty clamshells back to rcss to get my money back. They didn't hassle me but said everyone else brought them back with the product still inside. Lol well you can have a half full salsa jar back with dehydrated and ground spinach and kale!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

No I soaked the trays in bleach after it was all done and I realized everything I dehydrated was recalled. I took the empty clamshells back to rcss to get my money back. They didn't hassle me but said everyone else brought them back with the product still inside. Lol well you can have a half full salsa jar back with dehydrated and ground spinach and kale!
    LOVE it!! Stood your ground and you got your refund. That was their own fault for not putting the recall out faster! Like BEFORE you bought the stuff, lol.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Picked up 69 pint and 31 quart jars for $25 from a sweet older man who lost his wife and does teed them anymore. Glad I picked up a bunch of lids last week. Tomorrow I am trying out my new steam canner and canning citrus for the first time! Wish me luck!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Went to a free bernardin seminar today..run by a chef from bernardin. Was interesting but basic, made 2 jams and one freezer jam. Won a bernardin canning book...just missed out on the new...maybe not even in stores yet 750 ml tall wide mouth canning jars. I wanted them as I want to make pickled asparagus and they would be perfect. Plus I have a weird thing about jars and love the look of them! I am sure they will be expensive. I asked about steam canning and he said not safe. He hadn't heard about the new ruling so I checked again online and feel confident it is safe so will continue on using my new canner as I get back into canning again soon. I steam canned citrus and more applesauce and find it so much nicer than water bath canning.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Went to a free bernardin seminar today..run by a chef from bernardin. Was interesting but basic, made 2 jams and one freezer jam. Won a bernardin canning book...just missed out on the new...maybe not even in stores yet 750 ml tall wide mouth canning jars. I wanted them as I want to make pickled asparagus and they would be perfect. Plus I have a weird thing about jars and love the look of them! I am sure they will be expensive. I asked about steam canning and he said not safe. He hadn't heard about the new ruling so I checked again online and feel confident it is safe so will continue on using my new canner as I get back into canning again soon. I steam canned citrus and more applesauce and find it so much nicer than water bath canning.
    Would that be this fellow, Emerie Brine? http://www.healthycanning.com/emerie-brine/

Based on research done at the University of Wisconsin under a team lead by Barb Ingham, in partnership with Dr Elizabeth Andress at the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of Georgia, steam canning was approved by the USDA in June 2015 for high acid home canned products in place of water bath canning, provided all directions for a tested recipe from a reputable source are otherwise followed. Elizabeth Andress is pretty much the final authority in home canning in North America. Here is her memo on it: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nc...m_canners.html

She is extremely conservative, perhaps the most conservative home canner in the entire world: she has to be, and is extremely sparing with her approval of things. So if she says something is fine, you do not need to give it a second thought.

Bernardin follows USDA principles and procedures, I expect they will catch up. Home canning can be a very conservative world: people in it are uncomfortable with change, even when a change comes along that gives them a major benefit. Plus it does take a while for people to update their documentation etc. There's not a lot of funding in the world of preserving food at home, and labour is always limited and overstretched. Always lots of government and corporate funding though for stuff that delivers no results to society, eh? (Plus, Bernardin's parent company Jarden just introduced an electric counter top water bath canner in the states under the Ball name, at what could be said to be exactly the wrong time, just as steam canning was approved. I have been wondering if they will bring it to Canada in a year or two, Bernardin as the red-headed kid usually seems to get things a few years after Ball, and if so, they won't want to be advocating steam canning while they still have that white elephant to try to flog.)

In any event, because I have an electric stove and live in Ontario where hydro is slated to reach 25 cents a kWh in the next few years at peak rates, I wouldn't dare run a water bath canner anymore, whether an electric counter top one or a stove top one. I wouldn't be able to afford the energy costs of it. This research came along at exactly the right time for me. It saves a heck of a lot of water, too. In California, the University Extensions (such as El Dorado) that teach home canning are now advocating steam canning to help reduce the water crisis that the state is facing. http://www.villagelife.com/entertain...erant-canning/

Which Bernardin book did you win? The guide, 2013 edition? http://www.healthycanning.com/bernar...-recipe-books/ or the big complete one?

Home Hardware has the 750 ml jars. They are spendy, for sure: $14.00 for a pack of 9. They've had them in the States for several years now, under the Ball name. I have that size (3/4 litre aka 750 ml) in the Leifheit brand from Germany. It sure is a nice intermediate size to have to work with. You've seen that Bernardin got some new small blue jars? They are pricey, too :]

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here's 14 free relish recipes from the University of Georgia Extension services. The recipes are from the team of Kasey A. Christian, M.Ed., Carolyn Ainslie, M.Ed., and Elizabeth L. Andress, Ph.D. These is a recent publication, dating from April 2015. I want to try the apple relish, and the onion relish, this year. I have made the Dixie Relish before and can say I found it both economical to make, and really delicious. http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/FDNS-E-43-18.pdf
    Kitty77 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    Would that be this fellow, Emerie Brine? http://www.healthycanning.com/emerie-brine/

Based on research done at the University of Wisconsin under a team lead by Barb Ingham, in partnership with Dr Elizabeth Andress at the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of Georgia, steam canning was approved by the USDA in June 2015 for high acid home canned products in place of water bath canning, provided all directions for a tested recipe from a reputable source are otherwise followed. Elizabeth Andress is pretty much the final authority in home canning in North America. Here is her memo on it: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nc...m_canners.html

She is extremely conservative, perhaps the most conservative home canner in the entire world: she has to be, and is extremely sparing with her approval of things. So if she says something is fine, you do not need to give it a second thought.

Bernardin follows USDA principles and procedures, I expect they will catch up. Home canning can be a very conservative world: people in it are uncomfortable with change, even when a change comes along that gives them a major benefit. Plus it does take a while for people to update their documentation etc. There's not a lot of funding in the world of preserving food at home, and labour is always limited and overstretched. Always lots of government and corporate funding though for stuff that delivers no results to society, eh? (Plus, Bernardin's parent company Jarden just introduced an electric counter top water bath canner in the states under the Ball name, at what could be said to be exactly the wrong time, just as steam canning was approved. I have been wondering if they will bring it to Canada in a year or two, Bernardin as the red-headed kid usually seems to get things a few years after Ball, and if so, they won't want to be advocating steam canning while they still have that white elephant to try to flog.)

In any event, because I have an electric stove and live in Ontario where hydro is slated to reach 25 cents a kWh in the next few years at peak rates, I wouldn't dare run a water bath canner anymore, whether an electric counter top one or a stove top one. I wouldn't be able to afford the energy costs of it. This research came along at exactly the right time for me. It saves a heck of a lot of water, too. In California, the University Extensions (such as El Dorado) that teach home canning are now advocating steam canning to help reduce the water crisis that the state is facing. http://www.villagelife.com/entertain...erant-canning/

Which Bernardin book did you win? The guide, 2013 edition? http://www.healthycanning.com/bernar...-recipe-books/ or the big complete one?

Home Hardware has the 750 ml jars. They are spendy, for sure: $14.00 for a pack of 9. They've had them in the States for several years now, under the Ball name. I have that size (3/4 litre aka 750 ml) in the Leifheit brand from Germany. It sure is a nice intermediate size to have to work with. You've seen that Bernardin got some new small blue jars? They are pricey, too :]
    Yes that is the guy and the book is the guide. They had a table full of all their products and had the small blue jars there as well. As for the steam canners when I read the info it is talking about the dome lid canners...mine is the victorio that looks like a stock pot with glass lid and gauge on like handle. It seems quite a bit bigger than the dome kind...hope mine is still considered safe!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes that is the guy and the book is the guide. They had a table full of all their products and had the small blue jars there as well. As for the steam canners when I read the info it is talking about the dome lid canners...mine is the victorio that looks like a stock pot with glass lid and gauge on like handle. It seems quite a bit bigger than the dome kind...hope mine is still considered safe!
    Yep, the researchers write, "Some appliances come with a built-in temperature sensor in the dome lid and these appear to be accurate. " (http://fyi.uwex.edu/safepreserving/f...esJune2015.doc) I would venture even to wonder if it isn't more accurate than the manual method, giving our human propensity for screwing more complex things up. Here's the method without the gauge : "The canner must be vented prior to starting the processing time until a full column of steam appears. A full column of steam (6-8 inches) should be observed venting from the hole(s) in the side of the canner during the entire timed process. Ideally, temperature should be monitored with a thermometer placed in the vent port, but the placement of jars in the canner may make this difficult." (You can picture people staring at the steam, wondering if it qualifies as a "full column", and all the thermometers that are going to tip out of that side hole and shatter on the kitchen floor.)

Here Emerie Brine is doing a recent (past 2 days) video on pickling asparagus. I noted that he didn't use the occasion to showcase the new 3/4 litre (750 ml / 1.5 US pint) tall jars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yeJOX8J0gk I know stores are selling them now.

BTW I did some correspondence with the steam canning researchers in Wisconsin. It's possible that you may actually get crisper pickles with steam canning, as the "come up to speed" time before you can start processing is way less than it is with water bathing so you aren't "caudling" the pickles for a good 45 minutes first before processing time even starts. But as there are so many other variables with getting crisp pickles, the most important being how fresh are your cukes, that is just a "surmise" at this early point. But I did 6 different kinds of pickles these year, processing them with steam canning, and my dad complained how crispy some of them were. (I told him to spend a lil more on his dentures the next time, that I was not going to make soggy pickles just for him :} )
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Randal. Seems like a waste of asparagus in the regular jars. Need to get my hands on the 750 ml jars!
    dededi and Randal Oulton like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Hi everyone! I'm new to canning and I would really like to start this year with some of my garden veggies (pending they turn out how I'm hoping!) I'm just not sure where to start... I'm feeling quite confused by everything and was reading I need a pressure cooker for most veggies to avoid botulism?! I guess I'm looking for some beginner tips? I was hoping to do jams, salsa, spaghetti sauce, and maybe some pickling? Thanks for any help or guidance! You all seem to know your stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by samm07 View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new to canning and I would really like to start this year with some of my garden veggies (pending they turn out how I'm hoping!) I'm just not sure where to start... I'm feeling quite confused by everything and was reading I need a pressure cooker for most veggies to avoid botulism?! I guess I'm looking for some beginner tips? I was hoping to do jams, salsa, spaghetti sauce, and maybe some pickling? Thanks for any help or guidance! You all seem to know your stuff!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Sam, first, what province or state are you in? That will help us know where to point you for supplies, etc.

For canning conversion purposes: 1 US pint = 1/2 litre (500 ml) ; 1 US quart = 1 litre.

BACKGROUND ADVICE

It does take a bit of an investment to get started, in jars especially, but when it comes to home canning, it really is an investment that pays off big time financially.

For high-acid foods (pickles, fruits, relishes, chutneys, jams, etc) you can use a water-bath or steam canner. For low-acid foods, a pressure canner (not cooker) is absolutely required.

So, if you aren't sure about investing money in a pressure canner yet, consider turning your garden veggies into pickles, relishes and chutneys. Many suggest that's the best way to start. (I did the reverse, started with pressure canning, but it was a massive garden surplus that forced me to.)

Always use only tested recipes from reputable sources, and use no recipes that date prior to 1994 -- all kinds of safety changes were incorporated into recipes then to avoid "Delhi belly", etc. If someone ever tells you they know better than the experts in the field, run, don't walk, away from their advice.

As you learn, be wary of two types of people: the safe canning police, who are the wild-eyed religious fanatics of home canning ("no, you can't use a tbsp of flour in your mustard pickle, even if the USDA, Ball and Bernardin say you can, or lightening will strike you down"), and the canning cowboys, the "I have done it my own way forever, and I ain't killed no-one -- just yet" crowd. Good advice should always be able to cite a reputable source based on lab-tested science in the home canning field to back it up.

Stick to modern, tested recipes and procedures from reputable sources, and you will be able to relax and reach with confidence for jars off the shelf to serve people. There's close to at least two thousand such recipes (including many old favourites updated to new standards) to choose from at the present time and a heck of a lot of them are online -- they will keep you busy!

Here's something I would recommend you consider doing at the start. Make notes of how much you canned, of what, and if you bought the core ingredients, where and how much. Then next year you will know if that was enough of that particular product to can or not, or where exactly it was you got all those yellow beans at such a good price, it will all be a blur by the year after, for sure. It's a bit of a hassle to do the first year, while you are worrying about getting everything else in canning right, but you'll thank yourself for sure the next year.

Okay enough of the general stuff that was probably overwhelming, apologies. Now for some actual usable stuff.

SPECIFIC ADVICE

Grab yourself a free copy of the ultimate Bible of home canning: The USDA Complete Canning Guide 2015

I compiled everything current I could find about home canning salsas; there's the link. (I try to avoid posting links to my stuff, but doesn't make sense to copy and paste it all here, flooding the thread.) (Again, be sure to use tested recipes from reputable sources, there are documented cases of health problems from people winging it with their own made-up salsa recipes for canning.) I currently have a mild salsa, a green tomato salsa, and a peach jalapeno salsa on the shelf; great for assembling quick dips along with my home canned kidney or pinto beans and home canned pickled japaleno peppers. Only thing I need is to keep some low-fat sour cream in the fridge and I have a tex-mex layered dip ready for a sudden crowd in seconds.

Ball has a recipe for spaghetti sauce that can be canned in a boiling water canner (or steam canner.) Pretty much any other recipe for spag sauce, because of all the low-acid ingredients added to them like pepper, onion, mushrooms, meat, etc, must be pressure canned. But consider as well, Minnesota Mix. It's a mixture of tomato, celery, green onion and pepper, that was developed by the University of Minnesota Extension Services specially for people without pressure canners. It's so versatile, I use it for everything from baked pastas to Indian curries. I only made 12 jars last year as a trial, I will be tripling that this year.

Feel free to ask us as you go.
    Chantel and samm07 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Hi Sam, first, what province or state are you in? That will help us know where to point you for supplies, etc.

For canning conversion purposes: 1 US pint = 1/2 litre (500 ml) ; 1 US quart = 1 litre.

BACKGROUND ADVICE

It does take a bit of an investment to get started, in jars especially, but when it comes to home canning, it really is an investment that pays off big time financially.

For high-acid foods (pickles, fruits, relishes, chutneys, jams, etc) you can use a water-bath or steam canner. For low-acid foods, a pressure canner (not cooker) is absolutely required.

So, if you aren't sure about investing money in a pressure canner yet, consider turning your garden veggies into pickles, relishes and chutneys. Many suggest that's the best way to start. (I did the reverse, started with pressure canning, but it was a massive garden surplus that forced me to.)

Always use only tested recipes from reputable sources, and use no recipes that date prior to 1994 -- all kinds of safety changes were incorporated into recipes then to avoid "Delhi belly", etc. If someone ever tells you they know better than the experts in the field, run, don't walk, away from their advice.

As you learn, be wary of two types of people: the safe canning police, who are the wild-eyed religious fanatics of home canning ("no, you can't use a tbsp of flour in your mustard pickle, even if the USDA, Ball and Bernardin say you can, or lightening will strike you down"), and the canning cowboys, the "I have done it my own way forever, and I ain't killed no-one -- just yet" crowd. Good advice should always be able to cite a reputable source based on lab-tested science in the home canning field to back it up.

Stick to modern, tested recipes and procedures from reputable sources, and you will be able to relax and reach with confidence for jars off the shelf to serve people. There's close to at least two thousand such recipes (including many old favourites updated to new standards) to choose from at the present time and a heck of a lot of them are online -- they will keep you busy!

Here's something I would recommend you consider doing at the start. Make notes of how much you canned, of what, and if you bought the core ingredients, where and how much. Then next year you will know if that was enough of that particular product to can or not, or where exactly it was you got all those yellow beans at such a good price, it will all be a blur by the year after, for sure. It's a bit of a hassle to do the first year, while you are worrying about getting everything else in canning right, but you'll thank yourself for sure the next year.

Okay enough of the general stuff that was probably overwhelming, apologies. Now for some actual usable stuff.

SPECIFIC ADVICE

Grab yourself a free copy of the ultimate Bible of home canning: The USDA Complete Canning Guide 2015

I compiled everything current I could find about home canning salsas; there's the link. (I try to avoid posting links to my stuff, but doesn't make sense to copy and paste it all here, flooding the thread.) (Again, be sure to use tested recipes from reputable sources, there are documented cases of health problems from people winging it with their own made-up salsa recipes for canning.) I currently have a mild salsa, a green tomato salsa, and a peach jalapeno salsa on the shelf; great for assembling quick dips along with my home canned kidney or pinto beans and home canned pickled japaleno peppers. Only thing I need is to keep some low-fat sour cream in the fridge and I have a tex-mex layered dip ready for a sudden crowd in seconds.

Ball has a recipe for spaghetti sauce that can be canned in a boiling water canner (or steam canner.) Pretty much any other recipe for spag sauce, because of all the low-acid ingredients added to them like pepper, onion, mushrooms, meat, etc, must be pressure canned. But consider as well, Minnesota Mix. It's a mixture of tomato, celery, green onion and pepper, that was developed by the University of Minnesota Extension Services specially for people without pressure canners. It's so versatile, I use it for everything from baked pastas to Indian curries. I only made 12 jars last year as a trial, I will be tripling that this year.

Feel free to ask us as you go.
    Holy smokes!!! 😱 that's a lot of info! So pressure canning is much more versatile then water/steam? But I'm going to guess significantly more money?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by samm07 View Post
    Holy smokes!!!  that's a lot of info! So pressure canning is much more versatile then water/steam? But I'm going to guess significantly more money?
    "Hi Sam, first, what province or state are you in? That will help us know where to point you for supplies, etc."

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

"Hi Sam, first, what province or state are you in? That will help us know where to point you for supplies, etc."
    Sorry I just remembered I forgot that info. Dealing with a temper tantrum while reading!

I'm in Ontario (gta)

Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 ... LastLast

Thread Information