User Tag List

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Hi Cheeky I checked out your channel last night there is some great stuff on there.I have a question regarding the "clear gel" that is called for in your strawberry rhubarb pie filling.Is that just another name for liquid pectin (certo) or is this the actual name of the product.Really going to make this on the weekend.I can't believe you canned yesterday in this heat we have been getting, my house was unbearable you are one brave girl!!
    operabob and cheekysaver like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Hi Cheeky I checked out your channel last night there is some great stuff on there.I have a question regarding the "clear gel" that is called for in your strawberry rhubarb pie filling.Is that just another name for liquid pectin (certo) or is this the actual name of the product.Really going to make this on the weekend.I can't believe you canned yesterday in this heat we have been getting, my house was unbearable you are one brave girl!!
    Clear gel is a modified corn starch but it is specifically made for canning. We can't safely use corn starch when canning because there is a risk of it getting too thick and the heat may not penetrate causing a canning failure that can make people sick. Corn starch also doesn't hold up to recooking and it tends to separate. The clear gel on the other hand holds up well to a second cooking and it doesn't have the gritty mouth feel that store bought pie filling can have. There is only one place in canada to purchase clear gel and it is online. Here is a addy for it http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...ar+gel+canning To acheive the best value you need to purchase several bags because the shipping is high. I looked into getting clear gel from the states where it is MUCH cheaper... to get a 10lb box shipped here just the shipping was costing $50 US and that was shipping ground USPS. We just have not been able to get deals on this stuff. I go together with my Mom and we each get a couple bags to save on shipping... 2 each seems to be the right amount for us.

If someone was to approach national starch and start a company selling it for less they would do well. There are tons of canners in Canada just waiting to get their hands on this stuff. (I keep hoping for this to happen!)

Now Certo... it is not the same thing. It is for jams and jellies and when it is heated it goes very liquidy. I am not sure what that would do to your crust.
    operabob and thriftygranny like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    72 (100%)

Would love to see your recipe for the Strawberry Lime Jelly, Plum Sauce and Red Pepper Salsa as well! They look sooooo good!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    A couple days ago i found out that there are many canners on Smart Canucks! I understand how much hard work it is and wanted to give a place for us to not only show off some of our hard work but a place to inspire other canners to make something they may not have yet. So here we go with my pics... Please feel free to comment or jump on in and show us what you have been canning.

Attachment 146521
    The Mandarins and Pineapple were done yesterday. I was aksed for a copy of the recipe for the pineapple jam so I am posting the link we used for it here. http://baking.about.com/od/flavoredb...eapple-Jam.htm

Attachment 146522 These were done a few months ago. I have lots more I can take pics of and I will probably stay with showing my water bath items for a bit so anybody can attempt to make them. Now that I showed ya mine... I double dog dare you to show me yours!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks for the information on the clear jell, really appreciate it. i canned alot when my kids were young but after entering the work force I kind of let it go.I have an itch to start up again, I really miss it.Will look into ordering some.thanks again
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CouponDawn View Post
    Would love to see your recipe for the Strawberry Lime Jelly, Plum Sauce and Red Pepper Salsa as well! They look sooooo good!
    HAHAHA ok i will let you in on my little secret... i cheated with the strawberry lime jelly... I went and bought those frozen bacardi daquiri mixes. If you do this you do need to put extra concentrate in... i did the same with the grape jelly and it was a bit week looking. I just followed the strawberry jelly recipe on the certo pack and did a gel test to make sure it was thick enough.

The plum sauce was straight out of the ball canning book... i used my Mom's book and she has it at her house.

The red pepper salsa is tomato free because i have tomato allergies... i will be making it again this year because we use it about twice a month... once in a recipe and once for snacking. I will do a vid and write up the recipe as i go just for you.... but we have to wait until they are .99 lb for the red peppers again... and they have to be good red peppers... i am very fussy about this or it won't work well.
    operabob and CouponDawn like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Ok I did it... It took as long to upload the second vid as it did to make the dulce de leche! There is a recipe for sweetened condensed milk now using all the evaporated canned milk we got for cheap and free! A vid on Strawberry Lime Daiquiri creamcycles (booze free of course) using the sweetened condensed milk will be coming soon!

Here is the first vid explaining the math http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkasPi3d-S4

Here is the how to vid so you can store it for longer periods. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyleMNn5QDE If it is close to the post time on this one the video edits are still running... youtube is awesome but it isn't fast!
    operabob and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Today I canned Blueberry Pie filling! I just love this stuff it comes out nice and thick and it tastes a million times better then that store bought stuff... for a lower price! I used 6lbs of blueberries and it made 8 pints! Here is a pic... no color added it just turns this beautiful deep purple.
    Name:  blueberry pie filling.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  46.9 KB

Tomorrow it is the wrath of the peaches! I will be making peach pie filling this time! Next time i will be canning peaches by the case.
    operabob, Kitty77, Natalka and 4 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I live near Aylmer, Ontario and you can purchase Clear Gel from the mennonite stores here. Also, they sell it at Coyle's in Tillsonburg for a good price.

Love me some pie filling!
    gourmetsue and cheekysaver like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

I am able to pick wild blueberries where I am right now. Pretty stoked to try out a simple jam to bring home!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

UMMM I think I love you! I never thought of trying the mennonite stores! I bet they carry tons of stuff we can use there.
    Quote Originally Posted by manicpandemic View Post
    I live near Aylmer, Ontario and you can purchase Clear Gel from the mennonite stores here. Also, they sell it at Coyle's in Tillsonburg for a good price.

Love me some pie filling!
    operabob likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    324 (100%)

i really need to follow this thread tnx
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Cheekysaver, you are my canning hero. Thank you for all your pictures!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

i see most of you only can fruit or so. i can meat and whole meals(potato soup, pea soup,stew and the list goes on and on) . but pressure canning is a MUST for meat you can't do it just with water canning. we just opened today pork tenderloin that i canned 2 years ago.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbelinchen View Post
    i see most of you only can fruit or so. i can meat and whole meals(potato soup, pea soup,stew and the list goes on and on) . but pressure canning is a MUST for meat you can't do it just with water canning. we just opened today pork tenderloin that i canned 2 years ago.
    LOL my favorite meat to pressure can is BACON! I do have a pressure canner and i just love it. I love opening pork tenderloin and adding a few spices and bbq sauce for a 5 minute pulled pork dinner. It is so affordable when you get it on sale cheap. For new people the water bath canning is far cheaper and a great place to start... but for me canning is totally addictive... I eat food bought at the very best sale prices year round. Canning has very much changed the way I shop and how much I pay for things. I don't know how i would have gotten by this last winter without it.
    Kitty77 and LIVE SIMPLE like this.

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

I am hoping to try canning this year since I finally have a decent garden going, mainly tomatoes but I would like to try making jam as well. Do those starter ids in the store really ave everything you need?
    gourmetsue and cheekysaver like this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avrose
    Check out Tangerine with my Orange Key!! 40411099S1

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread Information