User Tag List

Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty77 View Post
    Emg, start canning by making some freezer jams, follow the recipes in the Certo box exactly as written. Making freezer jams will give you the idea of how to start canning. There is an investment of time and money when starting to can, with the canning pots, jars, etc. Bernardin has a small canner set, includes pot, lid lifter, cookbook etc., were available at Walmart.
    Happy Canning!
    Thank you so much kitty
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Cheekysaver, yes, think the pancake syrup recipe will be super sweet, need to use up some corn syrup, may save that batch for Christmas pudding, will put in the small jelly jars. Will try to find another pancake syrup recipe for everyday use.

Had to buy some new metal jar lids and screw bands today, there was a sale at the Co-Op for the Gem lids, $2.99, didn't need any of those only have a couple of those jars. Find the pressure canner is hard on the metal screw bands, need to replace them more often, get rusty from being boiled.

Have a nice weekend, Ladies!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Kitty that you said you had to use up the corn syrup reminded me... about 2 years ago my mom pulled a 10+ year old bottle of unopened corn syrup out of the back of a cabinet... and it was to my surprise still good! Here is some info on storing syrups. http://www.eatbydate.com/other/sweet...es-syrup-last/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

OMG, I really like this thread. I did canning years ago with a friend that new what she was doing and I dont remember much. Reading this thread makes me whant to do it again. Thank you to all of you sharing. Maybe I will come back to this thread and learn how again....................................

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello,
    No pics yet unfortunately but am looking for sound advice about water bath/pressure canning. I would like to start canning our veggies/spag sauce etc this year and have a water bath... but the jury seems divided on whether or not you NEED to use a pressure canner for these items.
    cheekysaver and peachy1 like this.

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

Hi everyone, I found a super easy recipe for pickles, they taste awesome. You don't have to can them - I won't be buying pickles from the store anymore. Here is the recipe:

Easy Refrigerator Pickles

6 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds) $
    2 cups thinly sliced onion $
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

Preparation

Place 3 cups cucumber in a medium glass bowl; top with 1 cup onion. Repeat procedure with the remaining 3 cups cucumber and remaining 1 cup onion.

Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and chill at least 4 days.

Note: Pickles may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month.
    Last edited by Mystic; Fri, Jun 13th, 2014 at 10:34 PM.
    Join Swagbucks - I've earned $150.00 so far!!
    "If you can dream it - you can do it"

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Elicit you are in luck... the jury is definitely IN!!! For pasta sauce you can water bath can as long as it has no chunks in it and no meat. Here is the info for you to help. http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe...hp?pid=184When it comes to canning veggies... there is no ands if's or buts... we NEED to use a pressure canner for the appropriate amount of time. It is the only way to ensure the food is safe to eat later. Canning has changed over the last 50 years and things that were acceptable back then are not now....It is really important when you are starting out to go by the book and learn all the steps... short cuts = mistakes and people getting sick. There is plenty of canning you can do with a pot on the stove at home as long as you have something in the bottom so the jars don't rest on the bottom of the pot and there is enough space so they are covered by 1 - 2 inches of water. Things you can water bath canJam and Jelliesgrapespeachespearsnectarinesapplescherrieso rangesgrapefruitstrawberriesbread and butter picklesgherkinssauerkrautdill picklespickled jalapenos or other hot pepperspineapplerelishespickled carrotssalsapickled beets plum saucesketchupsweet and sour saucesect ect ect. You don't have to be rushed to can everything right off the bat. The above stuff is really great for a person who is new at canning.
    peachy1 and TooCouponCrazy like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

^ for some reason SC is deleting my enter keys ...sorry!
    TooCouponCrazy likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Love this thread. Great info.
    Kitty77, ROMEO and cheekysaver like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I made some strawberry love for the first time ever today!!!!!! And had to make scones too
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

YUM!!! Harbie that looks fantastic!
    harbie likes this.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Harbie, that jam looks so good!!!!!!
    Very Nice labels, are they the adhesive ones or the old fashioned stamp labels, Lick & Stick kind?

Made 3 batches of corn relish yesterday, hopefully, that will last till fall, the family really likes it.

Had fun at the Salvation Army today, bought 25 small canning jars, all perfect for .25 cents each, with new screw bands and of course old lids, so, $6.25 for all. Had fun with 2 other shoppers there, one wanted the old fashioned mason jars, the other the quart jars, and me the little jars, we all left the gem jars behind, so there we were sorting through the jars for each other, was fun. All were .25 cents each. The one shopper mentioned that the they were getting back into canning so that they could cut down on freezers, to save money on the hydro bill.

Happy Canning Everyone!!
    harbie, cheekysaver and peachy1 like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Kitty77, they are just the peel and stick ones from Avery that I customized with my own special name

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It was my first time ever and I had a great teacher (my wonderful MIL <3) it was so easy and she had some really awesome tips and tricks to make it easier. Since I have more strawberries left I am going to do another batch today

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Made 11 jars of strawberry freezer jam today, wasn't planning on it but when I went to superstore they have a ton of local strawberries 50%. Looked same as reg price strawberries so I bought 10 quarts, ate some froze some and made jam. Also I got 4000 pc points as well so it worked,out to $1.60 per quart. Will give 1/2 of them to my mom who loves strawberry freezer jam but is dealing with a really bad case of sciatica and also dealing with my dad who has Alzheimer's and becoming very difficult. So I thought it would be. Ice to makemher a treat as she won't get around to doing it herself.
    harbie and cheekysaver like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Nice job Scouponer! I am sure your Mom will love it. It is funny how it works... you can give someone some jam you got from the store and they are like.... ummmm thanks??? But if you make it from scratch it is like this mystical stuff and it turns into a oh wow thanks!!!
    harbie likes this.

Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread Information