User Tag List

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Here is another old French Canadian recipe that i have been using for years and years.

SWEET RED PEPPERS

20 RED PEPPERS, CUT IN
    STRIPS

8 MEDIUM ONIONS, SLICED

½ CUP COARSE SALT

MARINATE FOR 3 HOURS AND DRAIN THE LIQUID.

SYRUP :

4 CUPS VINEGAR

1 ½ CUPS WATER

3 CUPS SUGAR

BRING TO A BOIL AND THEN ADD:

½ CUP OIL (I USE MAZOLA)

BOIL FOR 3 MINUTES AND THEN MIX IN THE PEPPERS AND SIMMER FOR ANOTHER 3 MINUTES.

PACK INTO HOT STERILIZED JARS. STORE IN A COOL DARK PLACE.
    Last edited by SnowFlakey; Thu, Sep 19th, 2019 at 02:02 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Busy summer here. Just to sum it up.
    -Jellies and Jams: about 50 jars including chokecherry, strawberry, lilac and so on.
    -Dilled carrots, about 19 jars.
    -Dilled beans, about 8 jars.
    -Beets 10 jars.
    -Jalapenos and other peppers about 12 jars.
    -Pears and peaches about 30 jars.
    -Plums, several jars.
    I froze so much veggies and fruits that my freezer is getting hard to close. Dehydrated so many containers of herbs and such that I had to clean out my
    spice cupboard to fit them all in.

I think I am done for the season!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

For those who use citric acid instead of lemon juice in their canning, what brands do you recommend?
    dededi likes this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Provided it is pure food grade citric acid, the brand won't matter, effectiveness and safetywise. However, the brand can matter price wise of course, which is probably why you are asking, because the price can be all over the map. You can pay 7 bucks for a teeny little shaker. The last time I bought, I got 2 lb "Spicy World" bags off Ama zon, but I see that is no longer offered. This one on amazon.ca looks good. Milliard, 2 lbs, 15 bucks. (sorry links not allowed I guess)
    Last edited by Randal Oulton; Wed, Mar 4th, 2020 at 02:19 PM.
    TrueNorthTreasures and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thank you, @Randal Oulton - I was looking at that brand, that size, on Amazon today! You are right about prices being all over the place. The Milliard brand seems to be fairly reasonable.
    dededi likes this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

canning season begins! made 12 pints of garlic dill pickles. normally I don't make pickles, but for the first time my dill grew the big heads so i thought I better do pickles. went to farmers market and bought 8 lbs of organic baby cucumbers for 10 bucks. Soaked them overnight in salted ice water and made them Sunday. Bought more pint jars at home hardware a couple of weeks ago when they were on sale for $6.99. I think I will be doing a lot of canning this year to keep the pantry stocked up for this winter. veggie soup, aztek chicken soup, stewed tomatoes,green beans,potatoes, peaches, apple sauce, probably some meat. Yy tomato plants have gone crazy. I have over 150 tomatoes on 6 tomato plants, plus two loaded cherry tomato plants.the fun begins!
    coupon girl, Paapu and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I have a very tall, spindly tomato plant on my balcony. I don't get full sun until about 3 pm. This was an experiment. It has a teeny tiny tomato growing and several blossoms. I don'the think that I will be canning any from my "garden."😁
    walkonby and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I have a very tall, spindly tomato plant on my balcony. I don't get full sun until about 3 pm. This was an experiment. It has a teeny tiny tomato growing and several blossoms. I don'the think that I will be canning any from my "garden."
    My mom bought 2 patio tomato pots for $15 each😳. Gave one to me and kept one for herself. Mine has been in sunny location on my back patio hers has been on her apt balcony which gets mid afternoon and on sun. I have/had about 15 small tomatoes while my mom has about 3. So it is probably where you keep it. Now my tomatoes that I planted in my front side garden in full sun are having a grand time. At one point I counted about 150 tomatoes on 5 plants, plus I have two cherry tomatoes. Some of the tomatoes are massive! I have never had such a crop. Must be perfect conditions!
    cheekysaver and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Green and yellow beans 8 pints and 11 pints of Aztec chicken soup using my home grown tomatillos. The soup is amazing. Even my bil who came to the front door wondered what smelled so good! There was some left over so ate for lunch with a bit of shredded cheese. Will definitely make again! Next up 50 lbs of tomatoes and 3 batches of veg soup. Very time consuming!
    walkonby and cheekysaver like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

25lbs stewed tomatoes, 2 club packs of chicken, 2 batches veggie soup, 5 3l containers of peaches. Just bought another 25lb box of tomatoes today. They are hard to find this year, will make more stewed tomatoes and found a recipe for tomatoes, onions and zucchini. Then 1 more batch of veggie soup, it is really time consuming and labour intensive, then I will do 20 lbs of potatoes,beets, pickled beets, applesauce and maybe cherry tomato and corn salsa, and tomatillo salsa.
    Tweets77 likes this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

This morning i also pickled some green beans and some cauliflower. The brine is a quick recipe and not meant for long term keeping and are meant to be eaten within a a few weeks. They keep well in the fridge.

Tomorrow i will try my hand at making my own caramel spread. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Last edited by SnowFlakey; Sat, Sep 26th, 2020 at 01:05 PM.
    cath007 and scouponer like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I absolutely love fall for all the good things we can preserve and canning!!! Not me but every year my aunt make and give me some zuccini relish and fruits ketchup!!! I am so addicted to those!!!! I have saved a recepie i might try next year!!
    SnowFlakey and scouponer like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

All canned out! I think I am done for now. Just finished apple pear sauce and summer berry apple sauce today. Also did beans, carrots, celery and veggie soup this weekend. Found a 25lb box of tomatoes at no frills a week or so ago for $3 so another 3 batches of stewed tomatoes, 10 lbs of pickled beets. 15 lbs of potatoes, corn and cherry tomato salsa, tomatillo salsa, roasted tomato soup, chicken in broth and pork in broth, plus all the stuff I did earlier! Done!
    cath007 and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    All canned out! I think I am done for now. Just finished apple pear sauce and summer berry apple sauce today. Also did beans, carrots, celery and veggie soup this weekend. Found a 25lb box of tomatoes at no frills a week or so ago for $3 so another 3 batches of stewed tomatoes, 10 lbs of pickled beets. 15 lbs of potatoes, corn and cherry tomato salsa, tomatillo salsa, roasted tomato soup, chicken in broth and pork in broth, plus all the stuff I did earlier! Done!
    Can you post some of your recipes. Would be greatly appreciated.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by floydrocker View Post
    What is the advantage of this over buying cans of stuff? I'm guessing less preservatives etc.... because I cannot see it being that much cheaper to justify the labour involved.
    Oh my the taste is soooo superior!! Garden carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers and celery are delicious!! I also freeze lots of excess produce - so actually free food minus the cost of freezer bags.

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 LastLast

Thread Information