User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Co-Sign a loan question

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    52 (97%)

We have been asked to cosign a loan for brother-in-law's loan application to open a business.

What do I need to know before signing the loan?

Please help
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My advice

anisa, Natalka, kazm-l and 7 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

If he defaults, you are on the hook to pay. It's a big step to make and also puts your finances at risk. I think I would be very hesitant co-signing a loan, but that is me.

(you might get more finance responses in the finance section).
    Natalka, Insane, kazm-l and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

If someone wants to start a business, and doesnt have enough money sense to be eligible for a loan or have enough money saved... Run!
    Insane, icangarden, kazm-l and 5 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

i agree with the rest - don't do it... if anything negative happens in the future, it will ruin the relationship you guys have now. Are u and hubby willing to risk ur credit for someone else?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I agree with the other responses here, it's not a good idea at all.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Lending Money and Family ....they just don't go together....ever.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

If you co-sign, you are indeed liable for the debt. I did some of the initial paperwork (although I got cold feet) when my Mom wanted me to cosign a loan - I backed out when I realized it was a credit card consolidation and not a simple business loan like she had told me. From that, I can tell you that you that you have to list your own assets and these do go on the line if anything happens with BIL's loan.

Regardless of if your brother-in-law is responsible with the loan or not, your credit rating will take a hit as to TransUnion and the other agencies, you are taking out debt in your name.

My advice on loaning money to family: never, ever, ever loan any money that you want to see back. Give him a bit of money as a gift if that's something you'd like to do, but don't expect it back and don't expect anything good to come from a co-signed debt.
    Natalka, Insane, kazm-l and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    If someone wants to start a business, and doesnt have enough money sense to be eligible for a loan or have enough money saved... Run!
    Well said! Running a business is very challenging, especially now that times are tough. Unless it's someone with a phenomenal track record at starting businesses and who knows all the ins, outs, and upside-downs of management, etc., it is a dangerous bet. Even if someone is a skilled manager, that doesn't guarantee that they will run a successful business.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    52 (97%)

Thank-you all verry very much for your wonderful advice.

Personally I don't want to do it...I gave up alot when I started to work night shifts for my family, and I'm stressed over our finance right now. Hubby at the other hand are giving in 110%, since it is his brother. hubby doesn't hear me out this time. He said if I don't go along with it, he will pull out his half and help his brother.

I feel been disrespected.

Background:
    They are "divorced" couple with 1 teenage son. His wife work at nail salon, he doesn't work. They use to own a semi, but sell them a couple of years ago. Took his parents $50K LOC and spent them in 6m while vacay in US, used the $$ from the house he sold and repay his parents. Filed bankrupcy once 10 years ago. Recently bought a used Lexus for $35K. Renting for $1000 a month.

They both a big spender, being planning to open a business 10 years, and this year this want to finalize their planning and open a business.

He is a sweet talker, I guess he had persuaded my hubby to co-own the biz with him, he will take care of the details while hubby will take care of the finance. Our house still have $90K mortgage, been living in it for 8 years. The same house on our street sold for $530K this past January. I feel my life going to corrupt in front of my eyes if my husband fall for it.

I'm so stress out right now. I loss my appetite and lack of sleep. Nothing seems to fall through for me. I feel that my relationship is on the rock everytime we go through this.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I've already said co-signing was a bad idea so I won't re-iterate that, but from your post there,... Run. Run, fast and run far.
    kazm-l likes this.

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

From the back story you told, DO NOT co-sign that loan.

Your husband should be respecting your decision as well, this your future and money you are risking.
    Natalka, kazm-l and angel_2011 like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glowworm2k View Post
    Well said! Running a business is very challenging, especially now that times are tough. Unless it's someone with a phenomenal track record at starting businesses and who knows all the ins, outs, and upside-downs of management, etc., it is a dangerous bet. Even if someone is a skilled manager, that doesn't guarantee that they will run a successful business.

ITA...even Gordon Ramsey has had to close down restaurantswhen they were closing money. If his name and the financial skills of his mananagement company couldn't save a failing business, how would a newbie stand a chance?

I'm with the rest of the advice, don't co-sign.

However, I think you should produce a report for your husband, showing the failure rate in the business area your BIL is looking at. If you can provide facts and figures, he might re-think .
    Emphise what you and he can lose. Is he willing to risk your house and your future? WIll the previous bankcrupcy affect the repayment on the loan?

Perhaps the 2 of you talking to an independant financal advisor would be another way to go. Perhaps hearing from an uninvolved third party about the potential pit-falls may help. And possibly advise your PIL so he doesn't try to get them to co-sign.
    angel_2011 and thriftygranny like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If he cannot get a loan on his own then the bank obviously views him as a risk because of his financial history and the nature of the business.

If your husband wants to take his "half" out, well you are not divorced, so it is not his "half" yet....so any loss incurred would be yours as well as his.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I hope you get a say since it does affect you and your house. If you have to sign anything, stand your ground and say no.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information