User Tag List

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree798Likes

Thread: Mega Redemption Cancelled?

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

I'm totally waiting it out. Whether there is a bigger redemption in December, January , or February..I'm not in a rush. Even if I spend my points on Boxing day when gift sets etc are half off, it might even be better than having picked them up at regular price on a redemption day.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sarajk View Post
    PEOPLE...the December flyers are PRINTED.

If they have something else planned its going to happen if people shop or don't shop this weekend.
    If it's true they could cancel a redemption event last year based on events that happened only 3 weeks before, and cancel next week's mega redemption barely over a week ago, I don't think they have the flyers for the whole month printed yet. If their stores are overflowing with stock after this weekend, I think it could influence whether there is a mega redemption, so holding out might improve the odds. For all we know, they might specifically be testing the waters with this event to see whether it is sufficient or whether to go ahead with a mega redemption.
    lealgen likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

They must print them at least 2 weeks in advance, many people get their flyers today for the Saturday sale which means they were designed, approved and sent to print last week
    Insane and sharkie like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm going to sit this one out.

The closest SDM is about a 20 minute drive. It's very small and does not have a food/grocery department. I never used to shop at SDM [ever!] but then heard about how good the optimum program was. Now I make the trip on 20X days and for special sales so I can get points for redemption, otherwise I would save the gas and get the items closer to home since they are cheaper. I'm paying more per product and paying for gas to get points. THEN, when redemption rolls around I drive 45 minutes to get to the larger SDM so I can buy groceries and staples. With two high needs children, all of this takes much planning, time, effort.

So yeah, I'm upset that SDM lowered the redemption amounts. I'm not trying to be greedy and I know they have never stated they'll do it every year and they have the right to lower the amounts, but they also know that people save their points for this very reason...and those customers are shopping in their stores (most usually when they'd normally shop somewhere else) so they can earn those points.

I'll be saving my points and checking for sales/deals/promos in the coming weeks, but if things continue going downhill like they are, I will no longer be shopping at SDM.
    uanoor and redhdlois like this.
    "Be who you are & say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter
    & those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalKris View Post
    I'm going out on Sat. I planned to get all my shopping done regardless - Its free except taxes. I do now have enough for 3 redemptions but I only ever planned to do one anyway. If there is another soon - I might redeem for a camera or something. Still happy that there is an option for me to get many presents done and still have money in my pocket instead of spending over $200.
    Why do so many people say it is free when you paid for it by buying stuff that is higher priced than most places? It is definitely not free. These bonus points are EARNED!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine6100 View Post
    Relax....
    Mega Redemption was not cancelled:
    1. It was never officially announced
    2. Shoppers doesn't call it "Mega Redemption" or "Bonus Redemption" They promote "Spend Your Points Events"
    And then depending on how much of a bonus they are giving us on the redemption levels; WE name it: Bonus, Super, Mega, Penultimate, Ultimate...
    3. If you want to call the "Spend Your Points Event" closest to Christmas a "Mega Redemption" fine; It's just not as "mega" as we thought (hoped/expected/ASSUMED) it would be. Bummer...

Unless I get a crystal ball for Christmas, so I can see future promos, I will be joining a lot of you in reducing my shopping at SDM. They seem to enjoy yanking us around and screwing with points and accounts.
    SDM themselves has called it a "Super Spend Your Points Event". Do a Google image search for 'sdm bonus redemption" and you will see pics of that banner.

Silk
    Have a great life!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyPenny View Post
    Why do so many people say it is free when you paid for it by buying stuff that is higher priced than most places? It is definitely not free. These bonus points are EARNED!
    I only buy sale items at shoppers which, especially when combined with coupons, are often cheaper than other stores. I only buy things I need, like milk and bread, and shop as often as possible during 20x events. I make an effort to buy electronic purchases at SDM during 20x events but only if price is equivalent to other stores. In fact, I bought my son a ps vita for his birthday at SDM in the summer for $15 less than it was offered at any other store (trust me, I checked.) I also received 20x the points on that purchase which came to about 45000 points. Those points are getting me $70 worth of FREE stuff this weekend. There is no other store that offers rewards like SDM does. When I redeem my points it is free. Ofcourse I earned the points but what do I get in return when buying these things at Walmart?? What would Walmart give me this weekend if I had bought my son's PS Vita there four months ago???

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nash0109 View Post
    I only buy sale items at shoppers which, especially when combined with coupons, are often cheaper than other stores. I only buy things I need, like milk and bread, and shop as often as possible during 20x events. I make an effort to buy electronic purchases at SDM during 20x events but only if price is equivalent to other stores. In fact, I bought my son a ps vita for his birthday at SDM in the summer for $15 less than it was offered at any other store (trust me, I checked.) I also received 20x the points on that purchase which came to about 45000 points. Those points are getting me $70 worth of FREE stuff this weekend. There is no other store that offers rewards like SDM does. When I redeem my points it is free. Ofcourse I earned the points but what do I get in return when buying these things at Walmart?? What would Walmart give me this weekend if I had bought my son's PS Vita there four months ago???
    I do the exact same thing..so in my opinion my points are free. I don't buy the stuff that is overpriced. So really i'm not paying anymore than i would at walmart and in return i get lots of free stuff.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

i have to say that i bought(and i think many of us) biotherm therapy products just for the points. ok, i wanted to try something new, but without the 20x sales and 20,000 extra points i never had bought this brand. so yes, i bought something just for the points. (and it was a good decision, because i really like this product). i also bought a while ago eye cream from lisa watier,never had chosen this brand,but i got it because there were a lot of bonus points attached. (this doesn;t mean i hadn't needed eye cream or so...i just nevr had bought this brand without the points).

and with 20x and 20,000 bonus points this skin care was a bargain.
    Last edited by Bubbelinchen; Wed, Nov 28th, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
    kidsteph, barato and peachies like this.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I do the exact same thing..so in my opinion my points are free. I don't buy the stuff that is overpriced. So really i'm not paying anymore than i would at walmart and in return i get lots of free stuff.
    I agree. In my case I walk to Shoppers vs. drive to Walmart so the "cheaper" Walmart price isn't always the case when you add in gas and wear on the car. It's not a lot but each trip adds up.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

I think it is a big deal to the loyal points collectors. Its not like a mega redemption is a rumor, SDM has had it before Christmas for a few years so yes it kinda was expected to happen again. This lower redemption is disappointed to most and rightfully so. I dont feel its really FREE its not we spent lots of money at SDM to collect these points they werent award for FREE. We followed the program and collected the points by the rules. So when SDM releases a lower redemption with a less than half exciting flyer with minimal deals and most stores already sold out of most items and not restocking, YES its disappointing especially this close to Christmas.
    How would people feel if Black Friday had no door crashers all of a sudden no big sale items just mediocre chips 2/$1.99 wooo. What if Boxing day didn't have sale prices any different than before Christmas. It's doesn't have to be announced every year that those sale will happen. That's the disappointment we mad shoppers have. We don't have to have a riot or cut up our cards but we also dont have to be so loyal or happy with a business that isn't concerned about a shoppers satisfaction either. I feel an extra $40, $20 or even $10 is a big deal just like getting a coupon that's only 0.45cents its just not a big deal.
    Ok I vented thanks for the chance SC. I feel a little better. Kinda.
    luv2dv8 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Points I earn are FREE for me as well. Shoppers regular prices are ridiculous...but I highly doubt anyone on this site would ever pay it. I only buy stuff on sale that I would be buying anyway (mainly groceries).
    kidsteph, peachies and nash0109 like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

For me shoppers points are pretty well FREE, I buy things there that I otherwise would purchase at another store - most of the time at the same price or cheaper, I have had MANY items from SDM which were essentially free with coupon use, and still received points on it. I do not pay their overpriced regular pricing on items, maybe if I am in a bind and I need something picked up quickly like medication and I don't have time to shop around, but that sort of thing happens maybe once a year at most. But don't get me wrong, they are earned, but I still view them as free spending money

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    They must print them at least 2 weeks in advance, many people get their flyers today for the Saturday sale which means they were designed, approved and sent to print last week
    most stores actually have their flyers printed and sales ready 6 months in advance.
    I learned that when I was working for Metro/Dominion.
    FallenPixels and kidsteph like this.

Dealigator
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't consider the stuff I buy with points FREE. If I am shopping a 20x event or a SYP event, I figure I am getting an extra 25-30% off. This may mean I am paying less than I would pay at somewhere like Walmart (if I ever went to Walmart), but it doesn't make anything FREE.
    Abuse coupons, not people!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information