User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    112 (100%)

Hi there
    I was wondering if anyone out there has had to purchase descaler for their Tassimo coffee machine? The website directs me to a site where I can purchase Urnex Dezscal activated coffee machine descaler powder. Has anyone used this product and can you purchase it in a store as opposed to ordering it online? Also has anyone used any other method to descale their machines successfully? A salesperson at the Bay suggested using vinegar? TIA for any feedback or suggestions
    This thread is currently associated with: The Bay
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know for a regular coffee machine and for kettles you can use vinegar so I don't see why you couldn't.... you just have to run a water through it a few times after. It's way cheaper but I can't comment on the particular machine, good luck.

Trading Score
    51 (100%)

If I remember right, I think the Tassimo instruction book said not to use vinegar. Not too sure why though. I used CLR when I had to descale mine and it worked fine.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Self promotion here....you are right the descaler is tough to get. My store carries it in Burlington Ontario. ECS Coffee Inc. You can get it online from us also if you like. Have a look at our site at www.ecscoffeestore.com
    Hope this helps
    btw, descaling is tough, you need to do it a few times usually for it to work. Vinegar is useless
    Good Luck
    Neil

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jul 20th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am looking for a descaler for my Tassimo, and couldn't find one in the stores, so I called the 1-800 number for them and spoke to a rep. She told me that I could use any regular coffee descaler, as long as it didn't have an acid in it. My husband looked at CLR, but it said right on the bottle not to use it in machines that have a water reservoir.

On another forum I read that the acids in a lot of the descaling agents can eat away at the gaskets inside the machine, thus damaging the entire thing.

On my regular coffee pot I use vinegar and then rinse the heck out of it after (2-3 runs with water does the trick usually) but for the Tassimo, it's recommended not to use it. I think I'm going to order the descaler that Tassimo has on the website, and then just use that, since I know it's safe. It's an expensive machine, and I don't see the point in having to replace it just because I wanted to save a few bucks on maintenance.

Good Luck!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

They sell the descaler at Home Outfitters. As other posters have said, the Tassimo book says do not use vinegar

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My sister has a tassimo maker and she called the 1-800 number last month and asked about the descaler... they said canadian tire, homeoutfitters would have it.. she went to several different stores the person mentioned and they said they do not carry it.. though they are 'suppose' to according to the rep...

I won a Kreuig [can't spell it] brewer months ago and it says to descale it just run some vinegar and water thru it.. She ran some vinegar thru her tassimo machine and it works fine.
    \
    Those descalers are so gross and smelly and some are expensive. =/

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I do realize they say not to use it but vinegar isn't going to be anymore evasive then some toxic cleaner IMO.

But remember a little will do ya'

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just did the CLR and it did not do a thing for me, Will go to Outfitters this weekend.. Any idea how much it is?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The instructions do say not to use vinager. However, vinager is an acid. Perhaps it is to strong an acid for the machine. Therefore, I used 1 tablespoon of baking soda with a about two tablespoons of lemon juice with the 17oz of water. Did a great job without the chemical smell of the DEZCAL. Allot cheaper too.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can use CLR if you machine does not hold the water inside. if it just holds it in the water tank on the outside you can use it. I have both a Tassimo & Kreuig machine, I do use both I love the Tassimo for a regular cup of coffee and the Hot chocolate. For flavoured coffee and iced tea the Kreuig is awesome.

I use CLR in both. Just make sure to rinse very well.

Happy Brewing

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello,

Best to stick with the proper liquid descaler, as vinegar will damage some parts on these new auto coffee makers.

Creativecookware is a good site and has good prices and free shipping for orders over $59.95. Might sound expensive, however, previously I was purchasing my Saeco descaler at a local hardware store for $19.95 for one bottle and the site sells 3 bottles for $29.95 (50% savings).

These new fancy machines that we have all invested in need to be kept lime and scale free or they will die a slow painful death.

Good luck and buy the liquid descaler. Have no connection with either Saeco or Creativecookware but used to work in the laboratory and have seen the damage that using the wrong chemicals can do to machinary. Vinegar is basically dilute acetic acid.

Enjoy your next great cup of java

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We have always used CLR on our Tassimo for 3 years now with no problems.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I know with our Keurig Brewer I run vinegar through it maybe 3-4 times a year and it works like a dream while descaling on the cheap ... but I don't know if that heps any with a Tassimo Brewer, just thought I would share as I didn't realze that descaling products were available.
    ... I'm earning $5-25 Amazon.ca gift cards EVERY month, are you?

P.S. ... starting to hunt for ShoppingChannel GC's with no minimum purchase ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information