User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: How do you save money on movies & entertainment?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This question is more geared towards people who, like myself, watch a lot of movies and tv series for entertainment. What are your frugal strategies for saving money on movies? Do you buy dvds, go to the theater or rent?

The only things I can think of would be collecting scene points or redeeming air miles, completing surveys for gift cards or air miles, winning passes & dvds, trading in used dvds, Netflix (even if just for the free trial) and using the library. Any other suggestions?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I still have a VHS and buy films at .25 - .50 cents from the goodwill stores.

Or I just visit friends places to watch films, a friend of mine owns a business that includes movie rentals.

Youtube has good films on it, I watched Canonball Run and Convoy recently.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Cineplex offers like this one are usually a really good way of getting something for free
    http://hotcanadadeals.ca/cineplex-pu...-bonus-points/

Also, I use piratebay (torrents) but you didn't hear me say this
    anisa, aussie, janetta and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

tsk, tsk, Boo - but my son does, too!

We don't rent movies at all, and don't go to the theatre. Son uses our Scene points when we get them, or any free tickets I redeem through iCoke or get elsewhere.

We have basic cable, so just watch whatever TV or "B" movies happen to come on.

There are classic movies available online - YouTube has some great oldies, as well as Disney movies.
    cath007, MoniqueS and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I watch the movies I want online,or just wait they play on tv.I borrow movies from friends...and if I want to go to cinema...I go to the cheapest day or it is a movie I really want to see.I have a large collection of dvd too So if you are smart they are numerous way to be entertained for close to nothing...Last year I recorded all my Christmas Movies Film I liked...Or if I want to rent a movie I will probably go with friend who own a card membership..those are dispensive like 30$...If you dont rent movies often like me its not worthed.

http://www.filmze.com/ (altrought you have to wait 90 min between each sequence...I go there lol..streaming lol....I know some of my friends put some programs for those...I just dont know how
    Last edited by cath007; Wed, Nov 21st, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
    Natalka and MoniqueS like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Like Boo, I have been known to get movies and TV series off of PirateBay.... I find it especially helpful in finding rare and otherwise unavailable TV series.... Junkyard Wars, anyone?

We sometimes go to pawn shops and second hand stores and buy boxed sets of our favourite TV shows. It's really nice to have a few favourite series on hand because it seems nowadays that there's never anything good on TV, and we aren't big on going to the movies.

In the spring, we are also giving up cable in favour of netflix as we can't justify the cable bill once the current discount we got expires. We called and complained about the price and got 30% off the bill immediately, but after realizing how little we actually enjoy the cable service, it's just not justifiable. DH will probably switch our internet to Teksavvy and just buy the unlimited plan so that we can download all we need from netflix (and that other "swashbuckling cove" service I mentioned previously ).
    Natalka, cath007 and MoniqueS like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I don't know where the movies come from but they just appear on the PS3 we use as a media server... We are buying each other a Boxee Box for Christmas to get rid of our digital cable box ($90/month!).

I redeem my HBC points for movie passes (best redemption value for there, and if you use their bonus coupons you can get one every month or two). If you eat popcorn at the movies and go as a couple, it's a good deal to get the Costco date night pack (two adult admissions, two pop and two popcorn - but really that's enough food and drink for four ).
    glowworm2k, MoniqueS and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Back home I was pretty legal, Netflix and borrowing from friends.

Out here in Korea, I don't have the option of regular tv since it's all Korean! So balls to that, I dl. Also, my free time is unreal here, work 8 hours a day, 4 min walk to work. I need something to keep me sane!
    MoniqueS likes this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I stream all of the tv shows that are on the major networks online. Global, CBC, CityTv and CTV have most of the shows available on their websites for free. I am going to look into Apple TV.

I have netflix, so I have movies available when I want them to watch.

I LOVE the movies, so I go on Tuesdays when it is cheaper or I go to the Drive-in. I LOVE the drive-in. In my area, the screens are modern, and for $16 my kids and I can see 2 new release movies.

I also always make sure that when I buy movies, I get the ones with the digital copies, that way I can bring movies with me on my phone or laptop, which is great for keeping the kids busy when out and necessary.
    MoniqueS and vesper like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    If you eat popcorn at the movies and go as a couple, it's a good deal to get the Costco date night pack (two adult admissions, two pop and two popcorn - but really that's enough food and drink for four ).
    We do this too from time to time; I think the costco voucher is about $23 or so, which is about the same cost as the two admissions without any snacks. As for the snacks, we've found that the trick is to eat one bag of popcorn (more than enough for two people) and to save the other bag for the next night at home - just put it inside a sealed plastic bag when you get home from the theatre and it'll still be pretty fresh on Day 2 And, if the concession staff are being nice, they will let you swap the soft drink for a coffee/tea at no charge which makes it a bit less of a junk food overload.
    MoniqueS likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We do not go to the movies hardly ever. It is just too expensive. If we do go. I make sure that we eat beforehand so that we won't be too tempted by the concession stand items.

We rent from on demand and netflix (although I only have netflix every couple months, as I find the selection doesn't update quickly). $7 is a lot cheaper than the $20+ it costs for two to see a movie in a theatre. Our apartment building also has a theatre room with comfy leather seats, surround sound and a 50 inch high definition tv. It is free to use that room, just need to reserve it. We can be found hosting friends for a movie night there.
    MoniqueS and vesper like this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i used to do zip.ca about 5-6 yrs ago, and we watched a ton of movies that way. little kiddo #2 came along, and well we scrapped that cause i was too tired to watch movies.

i love the movie promos on cereal boxes that run in the spring. we were able to take us and the 2 kids out for movie night 3 times and have a fun time with snacks and everything.

online is good too, for the kids to be able to watch a few favourites and some new ones too. *ahem* yeah but like others have mentioned, you didn't hear that from me

i always keep an eye out for movies in the $5 and $10 bins at stores. you can pick up some really good kids movies.
    Last edited by anisa; Wed, Nov 21st, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
    matrix82 and MoniqueS like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I record a lot of movies to watch at a later date.

My local library has a great selection of DVD's that we can borrow for free, which includes TV series and movies. We get them for a week with the option to renew for another week if no one has requested them.

Through Rogers, we can watch past episodes of current television series.
    matrix82, anisa and MoniqueS like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

isn't it funny how most of us forget the library
    Shwa Girl and MoniqueS like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Don't forget about collecting icoke pins and redeeming for tickets.
    Poirot and MoniqueS like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information