Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Poirot
  • 1 Post By alwaysdaddysgirl
  • 2 Post By Kelkens
  • 1 Post By pippinelkhound

Thread: Dog Sitter Needed from Dec. 22-Jan 1, 2013

Trading Score
    53 (100%)

Does anyone know a sitter that will take a 55lbs dog in their home from Dec. 22-Jan 1, 2013?. I really don't want to put my baby in the kennel. She just turned 1. She loves to play and got the best temperament. She is fixed and all the vaccinations are up to date. A month a go she torn the ligament in her knee and can only do a short 15 min walk on a leash 3 times a day. If anyone have any recommendation I would greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

She would be better off in a kennel.Just get her vaccinated for kennel cough.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I would kennel her as well. Some kennels are kennel-less and they each get their own dog-run. They would be better able to monitor your dog and her medical condition where as even a multiple dog owner I wouldn't know. I may not be able to tell if she needed to go to the vet. If the dog did how would the bills be paid for? Would she be left in the vets care until you get back to pick her up? Over the holidays is a very bad time as well as everyone is in and out and they may have stairs. Kennels also have insurance in case something did happen.
    [email protected] likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Actually we don't kennel our dog when we go on holidays as we have an neighbour that takes her. She gets excellent care and more attention probably than she gets with us as this neighbour is home during the day.

The only thing is to expect someone to do this over the holidays you need to be fair about the cost. Kennels cost between $20-$30 depending on the location of the kennel as some are quite far from the city and not in necessarily in the direction you are going.

Quite often people advertise on kijiji wanting pet sitting and they really want to pay next to nothing to care for their pet. It's a lot of responsibility and to want to pay $10-15 per day is just not enough. We pay our sitter $25 per day even though she maintains she does not want anything.
    Last edited by Kelkens; Sat, Nov 24th, 2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: addition
    pippinelkhound and Poirot like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Club Mead by the airport is good. Not that expensive and our dogs have always come back healthy, happy, and have returned there without problems.
    Poirot likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Funny I just checked kijiji and there is an ad wanting someone to care for a dog for ten days with a pay of $125. That is $12 a day plus over Christmas.

I checked and club mead charges $22 per day for dog and $15 per day for cat.
    Last edited by Kelkens; Sun, Nov 25th, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Club Mead provides the food, you only bring in snacks (if your furry one is used to having them). Like any kennel they are bonded, insured and will call the vet if care is needed.

You get what you pay for, would you want a stranger looking after your furry one with no insurance, no safeguards, other than they were cheap and seemed nice?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

For sure I agree...we would not leave our dog with just anyone..our neighbour also cares for rescue dogs. She is very good.

My point is that a lot of people seem to think not kennelling a dog should be cheaper...the ads on kijiji are amazing in that respect.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

People on Kijiji want the world for free and to get change back. I know someone who was selling snowtire and rims with less than 2000km on the tires. His price for a pair was less than the cost of one tire. He just wanted them out of the garage. Would you believe he was offered $50! He wound up swapping them for concrete blocks with a guy who lived on his street.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yes I know..our daughter got stiffed out of baby-sitting money as the cheque bounced. The first few weeks she paid in cash so we thought she was good for the money. Wrong assumption...live and learn..now it is cash at the end of the shift.

Trading Score
    53 (100%)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have found someone to take her for the holiday. It work out great because the girl work at a dog spa and my dog can go to work with her very day instead of being in the kennel. I usually take her to work with me everyday so this is awesome for her. Don't know what the cost is yet. Hoping it isn't too expensive, but any price is worth it for my baby

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That is how we think as well. To us having the convenience of walking our dog over just makes things easier. Plus she also takes in our mail and keeps an eye on the house.

Thread Information