User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree442Likes

Thread: Blow the points and blow off SDM

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I love shoppers and will continue to shop there. I love the rewards program and only buy things we need and whats on sale. I don't pay anymore at shoppers then anywhere else because i get whats on sale. Its a win win for me.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachies View Post
    I love shoppers and will continue to shop there. I love the rewards program and only buy things we need and whats on sale. I don't pay anymore at shoppers then anywhere else because i get whats on sale. Its a win win for me.
    precisely! And the program is by far the best one out there. Even if redemptions became 100$ instead of 170$ every 100000 points, I would still shop there religiously. Everyone crying over a 210 instead of 250 redemption - I guess there are a whole lot of scrooges this xmas. Saying you collect all year because of the mega redemption and now because there isn't your 'taking your business elsewhere? C'mon people! Like someone posted, everyone will crawl right back to SDM in the new year once 20x weekend comes up and a few things are on sale that they also have coupons for.

Yes, there are things about SDM that I don't like - telling we'll get points a certain date but they don't come on that date... Thats a bit much. But they will come, and when they do, once again, proof that optimum is the best points program out there. Not to mention the crazy promos they have. How can someone complain when a company gives away points for free by mistake? (chocolate bar promo / huggies promo)... Those two arent the last ridiculous promos we will see...

I hope less people shop at SDM, more points for me

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I will be shopping the same. I buy formula and diapers and any sales that are below my rock bottom price. I love the store and don't have a bad thing to say about it

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachies View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevstevd View Post
    precisely! And the program is by far the best one out there. Even if redemptions became 100$ instead of 170$ every 100000 points, I would still shop there religiously. Everyone crying over a 210 instead of 250 redemption - I guess there are a whole lot of scrooges this xmas. Saying you collect all year because of the mega redemption and now because there isn't your 'taking your business elsewhere? C'mon people! Like someone posted, everyone will crawl right back to SDM in the new year once 20x weekend comes up and a few things are on sale that they also have coupons for.

Yes, there are things about SDM that I don't like - telling we'll get points a certain date but they don't come on that date... Thats a bit much. But they will come, and when they do, once again, proof that optimum is the best points program out there. Not to mention the crazy promos they have. How can someone complain when a company gives away points for free by mistake? (chocolate bar promo / huggies promo)... Those two arent the last ridiculous promos we will see...

I hope less people shop at SDM, more points for me

I wholeheartedly agree with you both!! I've never had a problem with redeeming coupons of any kind...the pharmacy staff are more than helpful...pretty much the exact opposite of everyone else's complaints. I shop at the Simcoe location...Anyone else agree?
    If you can't change something, change the way you think about it!

Princess of Paying Less katie333's Avatar
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I can't truly and honestly say that I have always bought everything there at a 'deal' price. Yes, I use coupons and I have never been to a 20x WUS $50 and actually spent $50 oop. My shopping experience has been that many items are not in stock --> and so if they were part of my planned coupon shop, then I either have to add something else or I won't hit the $50. I also find the food selection to be generally poor and we recently bought some Pringles on a sale there and came home to realize the contest on the top of the can (which I didn't even notice) ended in September. We've also had some fairly freezer burned foods. So stocking up on things like that have not been positive experiences.

I did not track it this year, but my guess is that I have spent about $500-600 this year ($150 was gift cards for which I am stilling waiting for my bp). I have just enough to do the highest redemption valued at $170-210, so in the scheme of things a decent ROI. Still, I have a bad taste in my mouth about SDM. With Target coming in next year, I think I will plan to shop there more, and SDM less, possibly much much less.
    Kate

Have a question about cross border coupon shopping? PM me!
    Earn free GC and more with Swagbucks!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    I will be shopping less at SDM next year also.....due to their inconsistent and downright lowly "business" practices in the past year. It has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree with what you said Cheeky about redeeming your points as you go....I've been saving mine all year...and for what?!?!!? I am not complaining - but I probably won't be ahead after redeeming next weekend at sky high price points.

I recall last years Christmas redemption, I refused to "pay" $3.99 for a box of Breton crackers even though I would get them "free" because of the redemption.

I was very careful this year not to purchase items just to reach the min. requirement during 20x point days, but to get my OOP as low as possible.
    I will be even more careful this year.

I hope SDM reads these threads because there are a lot of people that will be taking their business elsewhere....let's hope they pay attention and care.
    With all due respect, there are over 9 million Optimum card holders; the majority not even paying attention to maxing their points - I was in a SDM last Friday - no bonus event and huge crowds of people buying things and not using their cards (but likely faster than stopping by the grocery store for the item).

I think there is a very small percentage who pay this much attention to the program - i.e. less than 1/10 of 1%. If everyone shopped like folks on this forum, SDM would have to drastically revise their program as it would not be sustainable. So, for them to lose a few thousand savvy shoppers, it is nothing.

Lots of folks I know don't pay much attention to store flyers, they tend to buy on the spur of the moment - or shop at Costco. Maybe they don't have the time to be savvy, I don't know, but it surprises me very much.
    anisa, Silk, FallenPixels and 12 others like this.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I am very disappointed in Shopper's too. But honestly it is one of the best programs out there if you know how to work the system. That being said I did awesome with Sobeys points and Safeway's Air miles as well.
    Shopper's 1x $100 redemption and 2x $170 redemption = $440 in free stuff
    Sobey's $220 in free groceries with 1 month left to collect. So probably another $10 = $230 in free groceries
    Safeway 5000 AirMiles this year alone (.10/mile)= $500 (used the AM's for Best Western Giftcards for when we go to Disneyland next year)
    For Shopper's I only buy on 20x days and milk, bread etc. Stuff that is super on sale that I know I can't get cheaper elsewhere. So as long as I stick to that then getting $440 in free stuff is Amazing. I do the same with Sobey's and Safeway. Only the cheapest items on sale. The Airmiles are actually easy to get if you are patient. I earn alot buying cereal which we eat a ton of. The best way to save money is to not put very much OOP to begin with. I will try and hone my skills even more next year
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PinkSapphire. Click to get FREE Giftcards just for searching the web. It is so easy.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been thinking through this for awhile now. I have the receipts for everything I bought at SDM in the last year. I only shopped on 20x days every 4-8 weeks. I bought groceries and other things that I needed.
    I love the rush of getting free stuff, but as I've taken an honest look at what I've been buying at SDM and comparing the prices at other stores and as I've reworked the way I buy groceries to include more ingredients and less convenience foods, I've come to the conclusion that shopping at SDM is bringing my grocery budget up, even when I factor in the free stuff.
    I didn't participate in the gift card promo this year because I decided to try an experiment and spend the money that I've been spending at SDM at cheaper stores instead. If my suspicions are correct, I'll either have much longer receipts for $50 or money left over that I didn't spend and the difference will be much more than what I could have redeemed for at a bonus redemption.
    I'm a little disappointed about the lower amount this year, but I'm not all that upset about it. For me it just confirms what I've already been thinking and planning. It's time to move on from SDM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I shop SDM for the clearances and for the 20x on staples (we go through enough milk to get $50 in that alone). In the last year I have bought exactly one thing at full price other than milk (the fragrance sampler set w/FPC as a gift) and I have done that intentionally- they have messed around with the Optimum program so much and are cracking down on couponing. I have not found a great employee, wonderful pharmacist, or understanding manager in any of my adventures to various stores. I go in and unabashedly use coupons and sales to get the best return on investment in points. For staples, they're the best program for me, but that's a sad state. I wish more grocery locations had rewards that were not contingent on financial cards.

For me, I much prefer getting my cash back bonus from Costco on what I can buy there and I have been really pleased with Shop.ca's kickback program.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    You can also redeem your PC opints for the GC's they sell there too
    MY local dominions (loblaws in newfoundland) have signs up on their gift card displays saying you cant use points towards gift cards =(

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    I spend my shoppers points as I get them... the reason is shoppers in my oppinion has had some shady biz practices and I want to be able to walk away at any time. I used to shop far more at shoppers but I am tired of the changing their offer mid stream with no signage (this by the way goes against some laws here in Canada) (yes shoppers we know you read this stuff and you should be ashamed. Really!) I am VERY tired of cashiers that argue about a coupon being accepted until a manager has to come and clarify... in one case a supervisor came and argued really loudly because she was not capable of understanding the wording on the coupon. There are problems at almost every store and it runs the gammit of the organization from the points program down to the cashiers. I debated switching our $500 a month in perscriptions (mostly athsma meds) to shoppers and decided not to because of the customer service I have been getting. If you include perscriptions and coupons shoppers lost about a $8000 a year cleint and they only get $300 - $400 a year out of me including coupons. I should not have to phone, email or facebook in order to get good service and promised points. I now only go in there for items I get for free or when it is the best deal I can find. Until shoppers straightens up... walmart price match works, superstore price match works, loblaws price match works, zellers price match works, london drugs price match works and when target opens here their price match will work as well.
    If you want any kind of trade I have a coupon to switch yourprescriptions to Safeway and get 300 air miles expires dec 31/12! I moved to where there is no Safeway! Plus you get 7 x the airmiles on prescriptions all the time!
    cheekysaver likes this.
    HOHOHO ‘‘tis then season for trading
    check out my TL/WL fair trader, been out of the game for too long, small but HV list.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandysue View Post
    If you think "1%" on a cc is in any way comparable to SDm points hen you really don't get it Everyone saying they ware done with SDM...won't be able to run back fast enough as soon as there is a deal...and SDM knows it.
    I already have a cc that we get the maximum points and use it to make all our purchases to maximize our benefits from the points (the cc is paid in full every month),,,,looking for another store that offers a promotion on buying gift cards, usually this time of year,,,,we have good excuses to purchase $1000's of gas cards, xmas bonus gift cards for staff , our own kids for XMas etc etc

Anyone hear of anything like that?
    Its not 'savings', it is spending less or spending nothing - if you put it in the bank and it stays there, it is savings

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Great tip. PinkLinkcoln
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkLincoln View Post
    So they make nothing apparently when people do that. They rely on people buying $7 shampoo and $10 birthday cards and all the people that don't use optimum.
    Who buys $10 birthday cards? No Frills, Freshco and Dollarama sells these "$10" birthday cards for as low as $1.00

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kidsteph View Post
    With all due respect, there are over 9 million Optimum card holders; the majority not even paying attention to maxing their points - I was in a SDM last Friday - no bonus event and huge crowds of people buying things and not using their cards (but likely faster than stopping by the grocery store for the item).

I think there is a very small percentage who pay this much attention to the program - i.e. less than 1/10 of 1%. If everyone shopped like folks on this forum, SDM would have to drastically revise their program as it would not be sustainable. So, for them to lose a few thousand savvy shoppers, it is nothing.

Lots of folks I know don't pay much attention to store flyers, they tend to buy on the spur of the moment - or shop at Costco. Maybe they don't have the time to be savvy, I don't know, but it surprises me very much.
    I think you missed my point......I will be shopping less at SDM next year also.....due to their inconsistent and downright lowly "business" practices in the past year. It has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Winnipeg Airmiler
    Trading Score
    215 (100%)

Totally agree. I have switched back to Safeway Airmiles. I use coupons to maximize my deals and it is more than worth it now that they do cash back at retailers. I can get my gas now for 'free' at Shell. I too have had terrible experiences with SDM points, customer service and their facebook pages and now that they have decided to stop the Mega redemption this year - blah! SDM you suck.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    I spend my shoppers points as I get them... the reason is shoppers in my oppinion has had some shady biz practices and I want to be able to walk away at any time. I used to shop far more at shoppers but I am tired of the changing their offer mid stream with no signage (this by the way goes against some laws here in Canada) (yes shoppers we know you read this stuff and you should be ashamed. Really!) I am VERY tired of cashiers that argue about a coupon being accepted until a manager has to come and clarify... in one case a supervisor came and argued really loudly because she was not capable of understanding the wording on the coupon. There are problems at almost every store and it runs the gammit of the organization from the points program down to the cashiers. I debated switching our $500 a month in perscriptions (mostly athsma meds) to shoppers and decided not to because of the customer service I have been getting. If you include perscriptions and coupons shoppers lost about a $8000 a year cleint and they only get $300 - $400 a year out of me including coupons. I should not have to phone, email or facebook in order to get good service and promised points. I now only go in there for items I get for free or when it is the best deal I can find. Until shoppers straightens up... walmart price match works, superstore price match works, loblaws price match works, zellers price match works, london drugs price match works and when target opens here their price match will work as well.
    walkonby likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information