User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree442Likes

Thread: Blow the points and blow off SDM

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

I specifically did most of my shopping this year at sdm for the purpose of gaining points to buy Xmas gifts, so yeah, a little disappointed on the promotion change BUT I heart sdm I will continue to buy there. It's still fun accumulating pts and getting free stuff
    csaund21 and sdddmd like this.
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

Winnipeg Airmiler
    Trading Score
    215 (100%)

Totally agree. I have switched back to Safeway Airmiles. I use coupons to maximize my deals and it is more than worth it now that they do cash back at retailers. I can get my gas now for 'free' at Shell. I too have had terrible experiences with SDM points, customer service and their facebook pages and now that they have decided to stop the Mega redemption this year - blah! SDM you suck.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    I spend my shoppers points as I get them... the reason is shoppers in my oppinion has had some shady biz practices and I want to be able to walk away at any time. I used to shop far more at shoppers but I am tired of the changing their offer mid stream with no signage (this by the way goes against some laws here in Canada) (yes shoppers we know you read this stuff and you should be ashamed. Really!) I am VERY tired of cashiers that argue about a coupon being accepted until a manager has to come and clarify... in one case a supervisor came and argued really loudly because she was not capable of understanding the wording on the coupon. There are problems at almost every store and it runs the gammit of the organization from the points program down to the cashiers. I debated switching our $500 a month in perscriptions (mostly athsma meds) to shoppers and decided not to because of the customer service I have been getting. If you include perscriptions and coupons shoppers lost about a $8000 a year cleint and they only get $300 - $400 a year out of me including coupons. I should not have to phone, email or facebook in order to get good service and promised points. I now only go in there for items I get for free or when it is the best deal I can find. Until shoppers straightens up... walmart price match works, superstore price match works, loblaws price match works, zellers price match works, london drugs price match works and when target opens here their price match will work as well.
    wendyjane likes this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jezz View Post
    I LOVE SDM optimum points!!! I never buy anything extra to top up my points...I buy the deals they have on food (their milk is actually way cheaper then WM when it's on sale)...I trade coupons for more points (LOVE that you can trade SDM points!!) and in the end I get FREE stuff!! I seriously can't see the problem with that.

I don't count on the points for a mega or super or whatever redemption...I use them year long for stuff I need (usually waiting for it to go on sale and pairing it with coupons so I don't overpay). SDM is overpriced....IF you are.... ummmm...."silly"(to be kind) enough to pay full price, just like any store can be but that's why we are couponers ....we know what is a good price to us.

And if I use my points to buy Xmas presents and the electronics are more then WM...that's my choice to pay more ....in TAX!!! It's FREE stuff...which I will never complain about and didn't cost me anything extra (except the tax part....grr...damn government)

We all know the mantra...."I'm not picky when it comes to free"...live it ...love it...don't pay for it!!

J
    Be very careful about doing that. You can transfer points but you can not trade, barter or sell,etc..... according to the T&C os the program.

Some have had their accounts seized for too many transfers.......

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

OMG!! We are low on coke and DH is clueless when it comes to sales and coupons, etc. He saw on another forum that coke is on sale, get 500 BP WUB2 coke(6x710ml), it's in the flyer, Sat and Sun only special. He saw a sign in the store yesterday and told me about it. I said go and buy some. Just came home and said no coke. Why not? They took the sign down and the cashier said it's a one day sale. There is no such thing as a one day special. I checked the flyer to make sure. DH says, I should go out again? Umm yeah, if you want coke over the holidays. I hate that SDM but DH likes that one because of the bigger electronics department.
    Last edited by couponmummy; Sun, Nov 25th, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
    carlyincanada likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    OMG!! We are low on coke and DH is clueless when it comes to sales and coupons, etc. He saw on another forum that coke is on sale, get 500 BP WUB2 coke(6x710ml), it's in the flyer, Sat and Sun only special. He saw a sign in the store yesterday and told me about it. I said go and buy some. Just came home and said no coke. Why not? They took the sign down and the cashier said it's a one day sale. There is no such thing as a one day special. I checked the flyer to make sure. DH says, I should go out again? Umm yeah, if you want coke over the holidays. I hate that SDM but DH like that one because of the bigger electronics department.
    They do sometimes have Saturday only sales.
    But that being said, many of the Shoppers I go to don't bother putting out sale signs for the 1 or 2 day sales. Which makes it very confusing.
    The other week when Pot of Gold chocolates was on, they had a little spot on a shelf in the chocolate bar aisle with the sale price (and the shelf was empty). Walked over to the Christmas aisle and found a whole bunch of boxes, but no sale price. Had the cashier check the price for me and they were the ones on sale.
    carlyincanada likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    They do sometimes have Saturday only sales.
    But that being said, many of the Shoppers I go to don't bother putting out sale signs for the 1 or 2 day sales. Which makes it very confusing.
    The other week when Pot of Gold chocolates was on, they had a little spot on a shelf in the chocolate bar aisle with the sale price (and the shelf was empty). Walked over to the Christmas aisle and found a whole bunch of boxes, but no sale price. Had the cashier check the price for me and they were the ones on sale.
    If they put the 1 and 2 day special signs they would get more sales because some people aren't convinced something is cheap unless the cheap price tag is in front of the product.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kmiecp View Post
    not really. shoppers is the best points program by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    I have been at this Optimum Points thing for a little over a year and it is the best points system out there at the moment.
    SDM has the best rewards program. We all know it. It is simply amazing. In Ontario nothing else is even close.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Vov76 View Post
    SDM has the best rewards program. We all know it. It is simply amazing. In Ontario nothing else is even close.
    nice to see you posting
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

I'm A Couponista addict kellyschool1's Avatar
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

For me I dont shop at SDM a lot, but i still do. I typically just buy the sales with coupons. I dont do all of the 20X events since I cant afford it. I have enough to do ONE 50,000 redemption. I am disappointed that it will be 20 less than I thought. 20 bucks might not be anything to some but its a lot to me. Makes me BEEP! BEEP BEPP!!!! (words) that SDM changed it.

I never buy anything to just get me points either. I totally appreciate the early flyer , but jeez SDM has nothing overly good on the flyer IMHO. Happy shopping too all!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I too am disappointed in the drop of the amount for redemption this year, but it is what it is.

It takes me all year just to get to the highest redemption level as I will only shop there on some 20x events, and for items that are on sale that we need around the house, or something that we are starting to get low on and is on sale, otherwise I can get most other items at other stores for cheaper (such as milk for $3.99 @ Independent this weekend).

I will be getting pretty much all grocery items anyway, so hopefully the stuff I intend to pick up will be on sale. The grocery flyer hasn't been posted (I'm assuming there will be one), so until I see that, I'll wait to get my list together.
    anisa, carlyincanada and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i will continue to milk this optimum thing while buying only staple items at low prices using coupons on 20x days

i will however change how i spend my points. last year was my first year really using my card, and i did 2 mega redemptions.

this year i just did a redemption today because it worked out better for me, and i think i will continue to do redemptions now throughout the year, on household items, that are on sale and using coupons :D

IF they had decent electronics i would be happy, but i have seen the past 2 christmases they have just brought in either garbage items, or decent(ish) items that are outrageously priced. what gives?

wouldn't it be perfect if they had good quality electronics that were priced right?

anyhoo, i won't be giving up my card right now, but i will continue as i always have and just milk it for all it's worth!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I will drastically be cutting my spending at SDM. Here is how it looked for me:

2011 - never even touched SDM flyers despite religiously PM'ing other stores. I thought they were too expensive to pay attention to.
    2012 - early spring I price matched sale items from them. Then I began the optimum lesson. In the late summer and fall I really started to maximize and learn how to gain so many points. I may of bought some things at a bit more expensive that I didn't need because of the points but thats how they trick you. I think I mostly did this all leading up to this "mega" I thought was coming.
    2013 - I will most likely go back to PM'ing at WM because even on 20x days there isn't enough cheap stuff for me to buy for just DH and I. And if there is chances are I don't need it because my stockpile is already full of whatever the item is. And even if I need the items, good chance they won't have it in stock.

All this being said I will steadily decrease my spending at SDM and I will not be redeeming this weekend. I will instead wait until I see a flyer with lower prices on items I buy throughout the year and redeem at $170 and then slowly kiss SDM goodbye. All this can be blamed on two things. The first and biggest thing is lying to us all by telling us we were getting our points on friday and now there is a "glitch" in which who knows when we will get them. The second, smaller reason is because they lowered the redemption levels.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    nice to see you posting
    Hello FallenPixels Have been mostly in read-only mode

Winnipeg Airmiler
    Trading Score
    215 (100%)

Shopper's has blocked a lot of us from being able to comment on their Facebook page! Hilarious. They don't like the power of media obviously.
    carlyincanada and karissadahl like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

2010 was my big shopping year for SDM, in 2011 I had more stockpile stuff and since we were moving etc and I had a lot of points, I did not shop as much but still got milk etc and did 20x.
    After multiple issues last year, from my local store being told to enter all coupons as 2002 to ensure we did not get points even though it meant them eating the tax, rude cashiers, and a lot of false advertising from them coupled with the issues we all know about here, it just wasn't worth it for me. I shopped there a lot less this year. I still got my milk etc from them, but like mentioned they make a loss on many of these items, especially when coupled with the points yet I have still redeemed twice and have points. I wont not shop there, but like a recent promo, I won't shop there just for points when I can break even or get a few bucks cheaper in WM
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information