User Tag List

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree651Likes

Thread: Money saving tips and tricks

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

With winter right around the corner, Mr. Jack Frost is also on his way and will be leaving icy frost all over our cars. To avoid an icy mess, just fill a spray bottle with three parts vinegar and one part water and spray your car windows before bed. In the morning, they should be clear of ice. You can even spray your car windows after they are icy, simply spray the mixture and watch it melt!

This thread is currently associated with: Microsoft
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Thank you so much....Winter is also tought here and lots and i mean lots of ice....Again thank you

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

merci beaucoup Anna Michele

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Wow! I never knew that?! Thanks Anna Michele

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Did you know that whipping a container of frosting in a mixer will cause it to expand and double in size? This means twice the amount of frosty goodness and an added sweet touch to your baking!

Season 40 Winners At War

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    With winter right around the corner, Mr. Jack Frost is also on his way and will be leaving icy frost all over our cars. To avoid an icy mess, just fill a spray bottle with three parts vinegar and one part water and spray your car windows before bed. In the morning, they should be clear of ice. You can even spray your car windows after they are icy, simply spray the mixture and watch it melt!
    I'm definitely going to try this!! Thanks!
    jasperandchar likes this.
    Want Free Gift Cards? Join me at SWAGBUCKS!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/bekki3

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Save your butter wrappers and use them to grease your bake or cookie sheets.

Use chips clips so your chips and/or crackers do not go stale.

Do a book/magazine swap with neighbours, friends, family, co-workers.

Cookie exchanges are a fantastic way to get a good variety of baking instead of you having to bake x amount of different things.

Swap babysiting night with friends, you watch their children one night and they watch yours another.

When renewing your mortgage ask your bank to waive your banking fees for the term of your mortgage (they will do it as they do not want to lose your business).

That's all for now!
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

It's Thursday morning and waking up is hard enough - now you're out of coffee filters! Don't worry, we're here to save the day - Paper towel is the perfect alternative! Trim a piece of paper towel to fit the filter, and you have yourself a replacement

Season 40 Winners At War

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Here are a few tips to avoid food wastage.

Make a list

For the first two weeks we went once a week to the supermarket, because we had no fridge and we needed the trip to buy construction materials for the house anyway. I had a list with what I needed for my meals, and bought a lot of dry foods, rice, pasta, sauces, canned beans and tuna… that would not go bad without refrigeration. Making a list will prevent you from getting things you don’t need, and probably will end up throwing away. There are some great apps out there, that would keep your standard grocery items from one shopping trip to the other, and you just have to add whatever you ran out of in between trips.
    Make a meal plan

With a meal plan, you know what you will eat, and what you will need to buy. I am not very organized on that one, because I tend to turn something that could go bad into a meal with whatever ingredient is at hand, instead of following a plan. In the future I will try to plan the meals together with the shopping list.
    Buy what you like

If you don’t know a product and feel like trying it out, buy a small quantity. Research how to use that new vegetable, or make a plan to eat that new thing shortly after you are back from the supermarket. We are animals of habits and it is easy to forget about something we are not used to eating. And throw it. And buy it again, to try it.
    Reuse everything

Brought a hen one day. I made hen soup with vegetables. We ate the soup for two meals, then there was only one piece of meat left so my BF had the meat and I made some pasta on the side to eat the vegetables and soup with. The rest of my pasta was reused into a pasta salad the next day. The rest of the salad was a side for a steak dinner. And so on.

It is annoying for some people to eat the same thing five meals in a row. But reusing the steak from lunch to make tacos the next day doesn’t feel like eating leftovers.
    What goes bad goes first

Now that I have a deep freezer, I have chopped all the vegetables that were about to go bad with some garlic and thyme into a big pot. It was a side for a meal, and a crepe stuffing for another one. The rest was blended into a soup and frozen in one-person portions for a lazy, no-cooking day.
    Two more days and I would have had a garbage bin full of veggies, instead of three meals. You can have a shelf in your fridge where you put everything that is already prepared, like leftovers, or half a tomato from another recipe, and will go bad quickly. When you open the fridge, check that place first for something to eat.
    Buy in bulk and prepare

I just got 20 huge grapefruits that grow on my BF’s ranch. Before they go bad, I peeled them and froze the flesh in little bags. I can then thaw one bag for a fruit salad, or blend some in the morning to have a glass of juice.
    If you buy in bulk to save money, and end up getting rid of half the food, you are not saving anything. Prepare your products as soon as you come home.

Make tomato sauce, pickles, preserves with fruits and crops. Bake a pie, cook some stew, or just organize a big cooking party with your friends and let everyone go home with a dozen portions of a home made meal.
    Know your basics

Virtually anything that can go bad can be turned into something basic, like pasta sauce or an ingredient for fried rice. I often prepare a salad called ”anything”, where I put anything that only has a couple of days left in my fridge: tomatoes, opened cans of tuna, olives, eggs… together with fresher ingredients. I chop my old carrots into a stir fry, and so on. By knowing a few versatile basic recipes, you will be able to use any food easily and avoid waste.
    Freeze extra portions

I freeze my pizza dough, vegetables that are already cooked, meat in one meal portions… all of this is easy to find in the freezer and put in a sandwich bag because unfreezing just one steak from a 5lb bulk of meat is impossible.
    By freezing my leftovers in convenient small portions, I not only can have a variety of food ready to eat, but also thaw exactly what I will eat.
    Unfreeze at the last minute

Plans can change. If I know I will be home for lunch, I take a meal portion out of the freezer. It can be yesterday’s leftovers, but if I decide to eat out instead, my meal stays frozen, while in the fridge the leftovers would go bad.
    Keep your food alive

If you are growing some tomatoes on your balcony, or cultivating a little garden, your food will start going bad from the moment you harvest it. Keeping your tomatoes on the vine for another week instead of cutting them all on the same day will help you spread your consumption and avoid waste.
    Season 40 Winners At War

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Here are a few tips to avoid food wastage.

Make a list

Make a meal plan

Buy what you like
    Switch to the pantry system to bring your costs down for meals. Buy items when on sale, enough until the next sale, and make your meal plans based on what you have stockpiled and replenish the perishables. The biggest bang for your buck if you eat meat, is to buy it on sale and freeze until needed.

Not only does it save money, but it also saves time. The meal plan doesn't mean to be so rigid that it has to be Monday: porc shops, Tuesday: pizza, but a pick and choose system. In my freezer right now, I have chicken thighs, beef stew meat, ground beef, ground turkey, italian sausages, turkey breasts and beef steaks. The chicken thighs and beef stew I use on the weekend when I have more time. The ground turkey, ground beef, steak and italian sausages are used in recipes that take 30 minutes or less. Often, I decided in the morning what supper will be and I defrost the meat accordingly (via combination of microwave defrosting and sitting in the fridge.)

Keep a pantry and you'll never be stuck doing a mad dash at the supermarket (or drive-through) after work.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

It really works I had to do this a the cottage when i was desperate for coffee (lol)

It's Thursday morning and waking up is hard enough - now you're out of coffee filters! Don't worry, we're here to save the day - Paper towel is the perfect alternative! Trim a piece of paper towel to fit the filter, and you have yourself a replacement
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Season 40 Winners At War

Proud to be Canadian, eh! ZumbaQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My cousin posted this idea on f/b and I have used it...it hasn't steeped for 2 weeks but there is a noticeable change in the scent. I have used it with baking powder for my shower. It really a clever idea!!
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO SAVE $1378.00 FOR THE YEAR
    IF YOU START AT WEEK 52 INSTEAD OF WEEK 1, THEN COME DEC YOU WILL ONLY HAVE TO DEPOSIT A FEW DOLLARS
    Season 40 Winners At War

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO SAVE $1378.00 FOR THE YEAR
    IF YOU START AT WEEK 52 INSTEAD OF WEEK 1, THEN COME DEC YOU WILL ONLY HAVE TO DEPOSIT A FEW DOLLARS
    Great idea, but I don't think I could put 52 dollars in one week, 51 dollars the next week, and 50 dollars the third week. This only works if I assume that I would regularly spend that much in a week on items I don't need.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information