• 2 Post By AmandaPantz
  • 3 Post By KK7
  • 1 Post By rachel1496
  • 2 Post By walkonby

Thread: More of a question/rant

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

Sooo, I went to shoppers today to attempt and purchase an Earl's gift card as a haunnukah...(butchered spelling) gift for my friend and her husband. I figured it would be perfect as this is the location that they had their first date and I thought it would be all nostalgic and also allow them some time out from all of the hospital time and stress that they are feeling over their premature little girl.

Annnyyyywayy: I know that I could not use Shoppers points to purchase a gift card in store as these are meant to be used to purchase merchandise within the store, and the rules are well outlined. But, what I did not know is that you cannot use Shopper's gift cards towards the purchase of other gift cards? What?

I was just curious about this as Walmart and Loblaws allows this and there is nothing on the back of the gift card that states you cannot use it for the purchase of other gift cards?

On top of all of that, I was going to just flat out buy it, but the damned cards wouldn't activate

I am on the phone to the Shoppers hotline right now to ask and of course they are taking forever to pick up -_-

Yikes.....better hurry up because Im getting kind of angry....
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart
    hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

weee updating:

Apparently it was a business decision that the store could no longer allow the purchase gift cards using the shoppers gift cards? I'm sorry but that is a little bit on the rediculous side. I will get a gift card which has tangible, if not digital currency on it, and you will not allow me to use it as I please within your store? Nope, I am not having that. Sorry Shoppers but you have become my least favourite shopping locale, regardless of your points program.
    Last edited by AmandaPantz; Mon, Dec 3rd, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

maybe wrong in this but I think it is due to a few bad apples who ruin for others there is alot of fraud ect with guft cards being purchased with other giftcards ect

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I've never had a problem
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    maybe wrong in this but I think it is due to a few bad apples who ruin for others there is alot of fraud ect with guft cards being purchased with other giftcards ect
    I agree. I've heard similar stories

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

That just sucks. Did you try another SDM? I hear of people using GC's to buy GC's all the time. Hopefully its just that specific store.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I remember hearing a short time ago that the SDM policy has now changed: no purchasing other gift cards with SDM gift card. And yes, it was because of the fraud. I'm pretty sure the story was posted on this site?

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

It's on a store per store basis and usually it's the loss prevention people for that store who make the call. It's the same reason every store has different policies on buying gift cards with credit.
    Granger likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I have purchased other GCs with an SDM GC in the past. It probably depends on the store. It's sad that a few bad apples ruin it for others.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaPantz View Post
    weee updating:

Apparently it was a business decision that the store could no longer allow the purchase gift cards using the shoppers gift cards? I'm sorry but that is a little bit on the rediculous side. I will get a gift card which has tangible, if not digital currency on it, and you will not allow me to use it as I please within your store? Nope, I am not having that. Sorry Shoppers but you have become my least favourite shopping locale, regardless of your points program.

Amanda...step away from the SDM counter now, lol!! I hear you, I feel your disappointment, join the many who have just HAD it with SDM.

Shwa Girl and PurpleBunny89 like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I would have to agree with the few bad apples being the reason for this. I know awhile ago on a coupon facebook page which I no longer follow they explained how to buy gift cards with gift cards to get the points. They had a whole article on how to get points when normally you would not receive them and how to get "bonus" points. One of the biggest one was using gift cards to get extra "bonus" points. Sadly it seems like a lot of Shopper's rules and promotions are changing due to people abusing them.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

The few ruin it for the many.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I was just as miffed when I was declined doing the same thing. Then another store declined it as well. Third time was the charm and I used all my SDM GC's right then and there to transfer to other various ones.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

This is too bad. I used to buy gift cards first to pay for everything, including other gift cards. It was a nice way to get a few extra points. Once again, I am COMPLETELY baffled as to why people feel the need to brag about these little things on the SDM Facebook page. Of course they are going to put a stop to it! Silly.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i used to work at fresh co and under no cirrcumstance could someone purchase a gift card with a gift card. this included buying a giftcard of any kind with a mastercard giftcard. it was a head office rule for us and i never did hear the reasoning but other stores have the policy!

Thread Information