User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Birds at your birdfeeder

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Not exactly a feeder bird, but DH saw a bald eagle attacking a seagull in full flight this afternoon...it's the first time he's seen one here, although he'd heard they are around. He's a bird-fancier, and can name them all. I pretty much just know and love my seagulls...
    Oh. He also said a flock of crows was chasing the eagle....

Has anyone else spotted bald eagles in their neck of the woods?
    Last edited by Lynn49; Wed, Dec 19th, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
    bluerose and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

No feeder, but I would put out stale bread around the rv while down south. The squirrels of coarse were everywhere and toremented my little Marley, lol.

But this bold little fellow came every day, at first he would fly off if we tapped on the window, after a few weeks, her would just sit on the ladder and turn his head when you tapped, just like a dog does when you talk to them. It's a teenager, lol! He's a northern cardnial but hasn't developed his plume yet.

A cheeky buggar for sure

bluerose and macw1960 like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

HQ - that's a great photo of a male cardinal on your rv, wish one would visit our rv on our travels. This is the first year ever for frequent visits usually late afternoon around 4 of a male cardinal at our feeder. We hear them often from trees across the road but rarely see them. We don't see many birds in the campgrounds we visit but one in Badlands SD this summer was a bird mecca, both sides had water and huge trees and we could see over 15 species of birds on a walk about the grounds, loved it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lynne - we participated in the Christmas Bird Count in our area of ON and we saw an immature bald eagle being harrassed by a raven, the raven which would be a migrant. Many birders in our area are seeing eagles frequently but so far none have nested here.

Rika - feeding birds has become an expensive hobby in recent years, we feed black oil sunflower seeds (used to get 50 pound bags on sale often for under $15 but now they are $28-30), suet (buy 6 blocks for $7) and shelled peanuts (bag for $10) all bought at local farm supply store. I get the most bang for my buck from these 3 products, some mixed seed is cheaper but too much is not eaten by birds and wasted and black oil sunflower seeds are relished by all the birds.

gojays- thanks for the visit, YOU SURE DO GET AROUND LOL.
    Last edited by mickey53; Thu, Dec 20th, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
    bluerose, Lynn49 and macw1960 like this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't have a feeder but i have 1 male and 2 female cardinals that sdeem to appear to be hanging out here for the winter? Beautiful!

I put a suet ball out for the chicadees and woodpeckers, because they're wise to my cats. . .but if I put a feeder out, I think it would become a Kitty Snack Station. . .
    bluerose likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The ground is now blanketed in snow and the birds are flocking to the feeders. Had 30 Mourning doves yesterday morning plus all the regulars. This morning there were 10 juncos scrapping with each other and common redpolls over the seeds on the ground. The peanut feeder was inviting to woodpeckers, downy, hairy and red-bellied. No wind so they are all having an easy feed.
    bluerose likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

What styles of bird-feeders do you pros feel best serves to feed birds? We have our usual chickadees here, but nothing more exotic than that...perhaps nothing exotic stays here in the winter...? But they must be here....? Just curious what types work for you....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Over the last 4 decades we have had many feeders, about 20 years ago we switched to a pole in ground with 4 "arms" with a baffle (stovepipe design) to hand feeders on - this eliminates any damage from squirrels. I have several Droll Yankee feeders, silo with 8 perches for my sunflower seeds, several caged feeders to allow only the small birds inside to feed (starlings, grackles etc are excluded). Have shelled peanut feeders, tube style with many holes. Different kinds of suet feeders, one is caged and other baskets stye and one with tail prop for woodpeckers. 4 feeders are out front on pole and 2 shepherd's hooks are in back of house holding another 4 feeders. Also have a table feeder about 8 inches off ground (cardinal seems to like to be close by this one). Several of my bigger Droll Yankee feeders were over $75 but they last forever and if any problems my local store fixes them under lifetime warranty.

Name:  1_A6-F Ring Pull in use.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  19.7 KB Name:  1590_300.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  1_SF-S-in-use.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  65ed4739-4749-443b-90c5-d88c6533b9f2_4.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  17.8 KB
    Last edited by mickey53; Wed, Dec 26th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information