User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Explaining A Misconception About Christmas

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Concerning the misconception about Christmas.....real Christians are celebrating the birth of Jesus at this date that was agreed long ago.....and no one should see a pagan part to Christian celebrations....

....if you want to see another point....we enlight our homes as some others enlight their Mennorah ...isn't it in the longest night of the winter that we do so ???

but i know and understand these celebrations have nothing to do with winter solstice celebration for both group....if Jews consider CHristmas as being pagan on the other side Christians do not consider Hannuka a pagan celebration

see no personnal offence, pls, just a discussion between friends
    Last edited by Mia001; Sat, Dec 15th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
    Andit and Natalka like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    As an example . . . .your comment about the "virgin girl captives" that you say were to be "kept as sex slaves". Isrealites were never allowed to "rape" women in any kingdom or city they conquered. . .nor did they sexually abuse any female captives.(although the same could not be said about these girl's own nations) Besides that. . . many of those "virgins" could and were, taken as wives.
    So you see, things don't always seem as they appear. . . which is why ALL scripture must be examined
    So Mortgage Queen...did these ladies get to refuse "being taken as wives"???An if so what happened to them???
    Andit and DaveP like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia001 View Post
    Concerning the misconception about Christmas.....real Christians are celebrating the birth of Jesus at this date that was agreed long ago.....and no one should see a pagan part to Christian celebrations....

....if you want to see another point....we enlight our homes as some others enlight their Mennorah ...isn't it in the longest night of the winter that we do so ???

see no personnal offence, pls, just a discussion between friends
    Personally..I have no problem with any-one celebrating any holiday they feel is important..I love Talk like a Pirate Day and StarWars day ( May the forth be with you!)

I do object when I''m supposed to use the terms that make others feel like I'm acknowledging thier own brand of belief..ATM..it's still Advent..why should I be saying "Merry Christmas"??

My Catholic Friend loves saying "Happy Octave of Christain Feasts" since those are the festivals her family celebrate between 24th December and 6th January..

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I'm sure the Fathers of Confederation consulted their wives/mothers/sisters/daughters for advice before deciding on Canada's fate. Oh, wait, women weren't considered "persons" until 1929. In fact, they couldn't vote until 1919 (limited voting rights in 1917). Well, technically women could vote in Quebec if they owned property in 1801.until 1849 when the powers that be thought it best to change the rules to male-only. Heck, in Sierra Leone female heads of households could vote in 1792.

As for the "virgin little girls", well, that was pretty much what all young brides were prior to women becoming "persons". And isn't "virgin little girl" still more or less the criteria for marrying into the British royal family?

The devil can cite scripture to suit his own purpose. Or something like that.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I'm not the devil.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I'm not the devil.
    No, of course not!!!

Although many of your puns are devilishly clever.

It's just an old proverb that means that words can get twisted if one chooses to do so.

I'll give you an example from my own life. I used to belong to a writers' group where we would critique each other's works. I wrote a poem about a tree. I was waiting for someone, staring at a tree, and put my thoughts into verse. That's it. No subtext, not some philosophical rant about the eternal struggle between good and evil, not a diatribe about the horrors of the 20th century. The poem was about a tree. According to my critiquers, I was writing about existentialism, the struggle of mankind against nature, Judeo-Christian principles in modern society, basically *anything* except simple thoughts about a tree.

Interpretations are interesting. And make for lively debate and discussion. And could bring the world closer together.
    DaveP likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I'm not the devil.
    Oh Dave , no worries, he doesn't exist either .

They don't get it you know that.
    Andit and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    As for the "virgin little girls", well, that was pretty much what all young brides were prior to women becoming "persons". And isn't "virgin little girl" still more or less the criteria for marrying into the British royal family?
    see Boleyn, Anne...Howard, Kathryn...Fergusson Sarah or MIddleton, Catherine... eta...Simpson, Wallis..how did I forget her??
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Sat, Dec 15th, 2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add eta
    Andit and blueeyetea like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Besides stirring some trouble while creating a bible debate, I don't see any other point to this thread.
    Andit, Patty Smyth and DianneS like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielmac View Post
    Besides stirring some trouble while creating a bible debate, I don't see any other point to this thread.
    I see it as an interesting discussion. Just hoping no one's feelings get hurt (this format makes debates tough - would be better to get together over drinks).
    Mia001 and Patty Smyth like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    see Boleyn, Anne...Howard, Kathryn...Fergusson Sarah or MIddleton, Catherine...
    But only the last one remained a royal.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    see Boleyn, Anne...Howard, Kathryn...Fergusson Sarah or MIddleton, Catherine...
    And lest we forget, the ever lovely Camilla wed to the future King.

Name:  camillahairpa280405-350x450.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  30.6 KB

I understand she's been around the block.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I see it as an interesting discussion. Just hoping no one's feelings get hurt (this format makes debates tough - would be better to get together over drinks).
    Considering what have seen in the past (and the present too) on the forum, someone will get butthurt, temper will show, post will be edited/deleted by mods and maybe some people will get banned. Nothing good ever comes out of a debate, on a public forum, when religion is involved.
    Andit and Patty Smyth like this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Arielmac. . .nobody'd feelings are getting hurt. . . Dave and I are old sparring partners and we actually like each other.
    I think DP gets a little riled at me sometimes, but I think we're good.

There are many "discussions" you could consider "debates". I think there's one going on in the News section about gun control (right Dave? There is definitely 2 trains of thought on THAT.

I personally like to read peoples comments on subjects as these because it helps me understand why people feel the way they do. . . .and understanding peoples viewpoints (and acknowledging their right to have them) goes a long way to us being more peaceable with each other in the outside world. . .
    Mia001, Andit and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Arielmac. . .nobody'd feelings are getting hurt. . . Dave and I are old sparring partners and we actually like each other.
    I think DP gets a little riled at me sometimes, but I think we're good.

There are many "discussions" you could consider "debates". I think there's one going on in the News section about gun control (right Dave? There is definitely 2 trains of thought on THAT.

I personally like to read peoples comments on subjects as these because it helps me understand why people feel the way they do. . . .and understanding peoples viewpoints (and acknowledging their right to have them) goes a long way to us being more peaceable with each other in the outside world. . .
    Yup. And if only everyone would agree with me about everything the world would be perfect.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information