Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By abfab
  • 2 Post By ubertec
  • 1 Post By RedMtl

Thread: Canada Post - no tax on US/Int'l stamps

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I just dropped off some Christmas cards at my local post office and was short a few stamps. I was told that since I was sending the mail immediately, she didn't have to charge tax on the stamps!

This only applies to International and US stamps. Canadian stamps are still taxable.
    It is only for mail you are sending out immediately. The discount does not apply if you are buying them to take home with you.

Since US/International stamps do not have permanent prices that Cdn ones have I don't keep them on hand. If you don't mind the few minutes to add the stamps there its a great deal!

According to the info I found, you must spend at least $5.00 (which I did).

From Canada Post website:
    http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/pers...ofsalestax.jsf
    Tax rules relating to items mailed to foreign destinations and Canadian Forces Post Offices are as follows:

• not subject to sales taxes if the total price per transaction (single or multiple items) is $5.00 or more
    • if less than $5.00, subject to GST and QST if mailed from Quebec, HST if mailed from Ontario, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland and Labrador, and GST only if mailed from the other provinces and territories.
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post
    Poirot likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Sound great! I just sent off my (really late) Christmas cards to US side of my family. Bought the stamps at the Shoppers' Canada Post mail depot, and mailed them immediately, but I know I got charged tax. I spent almost $20 in stamps! Wow, wish I had know about this first! So heads up, not every post office is honouring the deal!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

This is not a deal, its the "law"

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/pers...collection.jsf
    Silk and amandabananda like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

wow THanks
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks. I didn't know that.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just to clarify what is below (as well as some of the additional comments), is it NOT the stamps that are tax free, it is the postage. This sounds like a trivial difference, but it is not.

The stamps are taxable, because you remove them from the postal station (therefore it cannot be assured that they'll be used on international mail) The postage, provided it is totalling over $5.00 (multiple items allowed) and is for items leaving Canada, is not taxable. Some postal stations do indeed use stamps, but most will use a meter generated sticker if paying at the counter.

This is likely why the person who went to the local "outlet" didn't get the tax withheld. If you step away from the counter, you will have to pay the tax. You might get an exception at some major postal stations, and if you are known to the clerk, as moving people through is a priority -- but you will be watched to make certain you affix the postage to the item(s) and not take it away from the outlet with you.

And, yes, it does indeed happen that local postal outlets do often have staff who are NOT aware of this regulation. As such, it behooves the purchaser to be aware of the law and to insist it be applied.

Quote Originally Posted by abfab View Post
    I just dropped off some Christmas cards at my local post office and was short a few stamps. I was told that since I was sending the mail immediately, she didn't have to charge tax on the stamps!

This only applies to International and US stamps. Canadian stamps are still taxable.
    It is only for mail you are sending out immediately. The discount does not apply if you are buying them to take home with you.

Since US/International stamps do not have permanent prices that Cdn ones have I don't keep them on hand. If you don't mind the few minutes to add the stamps there its a great deal!

According to the info I found, you must spend at least $5.00 (which I did).

From Canada Post website:
    http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/pers...ofsalestax.jsf
    Tax rules relating to items mailed to foreign destinations and Canadian Forces Post Offices are as follows:

• not subject to sales taxes if the total price per transaction (single or multiple items) is $5.00 or more
    • if less than $5.00, subject to GST and QST if mailed from Quebec, HST if mailed from Ontario, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland and Labrador, and GST only if mailed from the other provinces and territories.
    Silk likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Thanks OP, and everyone who posted additional info and clarifications!

Silk
    Have a great life!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well, I'm trying to find the deal part here...

Thread Information